Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

who is responsible for the London attacks?

Was It Suicide?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obj...4762&headline=was-it-suicide---name_page.html

The evidence is compelling: The terrorists bought return rail tickets, and pay and display car park tickets, before boarding a train at Luton for London. None of the men was heard to cry "Allah Akhbar!" - "God is great" - usually screamed by suicide bombers as they detonate their bomb.

Their devices were in large rucksacks which could be easily dumped instead of being strapped to their bodies. They carried wallets containing their driving licences, bank cards and other personal items. Suicide bombers normally strip themselves of identifying material.

Similar terror attacks against public transport in Madrid last year were carried out by recruits who had time to escape and planned to strike again.

Bomber Hasib Hussain detonated his device at the rear of the top deck of a No 30 bus, not in the middle of the bottom deck where most damage would be caused.

Additionally, two of the bombers had strong personal reasons for staying alive.

Jermaine Lindsay's partner Samantha Lewthwaite, 22, mother of his one-year-old son, is expecting her second baby within days. Mohammed Sidique Khan's wife Hasina, mum of a 14-month-old daughter, is also pregnant.

Mirror: "Police and MI5 are probing if the four men were told by their al-Qaeda controller they had time to escape after setting off timers. Instead, the devices exploded immediately."

Frankly, I couldn't care less if they were blew themselves up by accident or by devious design, but I can't see how you could expect to get away with leaving huge great backpacks on a busy tube train and no one noticing.

Of course, none of this helps the various bonkers conspiraloon theories that have been posted here - quite the reverse in fact.

Mirror: "None of the men was heard to cry "Allah Akhbar!" - "God is great" - usually screamed by suicide bombers as they detonate their bomb"

I'm not sure if the survivors on a noisy, crowded tube would have heard that even if they did say it. Clearly those nearest to the scumbag bombers are no longer here to give an opinion.

editor said:
Frankly, I couldn't care less if they were blew themselves up by accident or by devious design, but I can't see how you could expect to get away with leaving huge great backpacks on a busy tube train and no one noticing.

It does make a difference to dealing with the risk of future attacks, though.

You can leave a bag at least as large on a bus and not have anyone question it for a while - I saw it last Wednesday. "Whose is this?" Silence. "I said, Whose is this?" From the back:Mine. "Then can you sit next to it so we all know whose it is?"

Bluntly, if we're expecting bombers who intend to commit suicide, the only thing to do is to stay away from all bags.

gunneradt said:
at the end of the day that depends how you define accountability...Now whatever grievance extrem islamists may have for things that have occurred elsewhere in the world., there can never really be any shared responsibility for what happened outside thoe who prepretated this terrorist act.

I think we are mixing up concepts here.

Surely the bombers (and anyone conspiring with them) were solely responsible for the actual act. Assuming they knew what they were doing, they chose to do it and did so.

As for why they felt the need to do it, that is where the actions of others, individuals or nation states, comes in. On this basis, the actions of the US and the UK in Iraq and Afganistan may be properly said to explain why the bombings happened but that is different from assigning some direct responsibility for the actual act itself.

If the bombers came to trial, the actions of the US and the UK could not be used as a defence to the actual bombing, but could be used in mitigation (i.e. an explanation for the offence which may be taken into account in sentencing). It would only ever amount to an actual defence if it was duress - i.e. there was no alternative available to the defendant but to commit the crime or face death / serious injury themselves.

editor said:
... I can't see how you could expect to get away with leaving huge great backpacks on a busy tube train and no one noticing.

But that's precisely what did happen in the case of the Madrid train bombings. The bombers boarded the trains to leave their rucksacks behind when they alighted. The bombs were then detonated using mobile phones, according to the official version of events.

If someone really wanted to leave a rucksack containing explosives on a busy London tube, then it would be a fairly simple matter for them to put their rucksack down on the floor and then alight the train at the last possible moment, before the automatic doors closed behind them. The train would then begin moving off to the next station and the only way it could be stopped would be to hit the emergency button.

detective-boy said:
I think we are mixing up concepts here.

Surely the bombers (and anyone conspiring with them) were solely responsible for the actual act. Assuming they knew what they were doing, they chose to do it and did so.

As for why they felt the need to do it, that is where the actions of others, individuals or nation states, comes in. On this basis, the actions of the US and the UK in Iraq and Afganistan may be properly said to explain why the bombings happened but that is different from assigning some direct responsibility for the actual act itself.

If the bombers came to trial, the actions of the US and the UK could not be used as a defence to the actual bombing, but could be used in mitigation (i.e. an explanation for the offence which may be taken into account in sentencing). It would only ever amount to an actual defence if it was duress - i.e. there was no alternative available to the defendant but to commit the crime or face death / serious injury themselves.

No it could NEVER be used as mitigation. Also, how could they not know what they were doing. I rather like the thought they might have believed they were going to get away - and didn't. Presumably that also dashes the 21 virgins. What a shame.

gunner

gunneradt said:
No it could NEVER be used as mitigation.

Detective-boy knows whereof he speaks. See the username?

I don't think you understand the difference between "used" and "work" on the other hand.

Long, long ago near here someone was caught white-handed, as it were, painting out National Front graffiti on a railway bridge.

Guilt on a charge of criminal damage: rather hard to argue, as a brief might put it.

Mitigation: rather effective. (The story is that the magistrate declared that the bridge had been improved by said criminal damage.)

Bernie Gunther said:
So if there are multiple causes here, what are they? What factors account for the actions of the known bombers and anyone else who might have helped?

I think a potentially useful model for understanding them is a cult recruitment process. What I mean by a cult is an organisation which recruits and influences using a family of methods found in all cults, rather than a message.

Unfortunately, what we are dealing with is neither so organized nor so irrational as a cult. You ask "what factors account for the actions of the known bombers." I'm afraid they're depressingly simple, and derepssingly rational. They believe, not irrationally, that the Muslim world, conceived of as a whole, the "Umma," is under systematic attack by the capitalist/Jewish/Christian world. Muslims who believe that are under an obligation to defend the Umma as best they can.

How would that lead them to kill innocent civilians in London? Again, the reasons are depressingly simple and depressingly rational. They calculate that by spreading terror among the general population of the UK, they will press public opinion to force Tony Blair to cease his attacks on the Umma. It worked in Spain, and they think it will work here too.

and if Britain and the US pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan would they cease? No. They'd attack states in the Middle East that were friendly to the US or the UK.

gunner

I think you're right that the cult model is not 100% directly applicable, but I think it's likely that the mechanisms I was describing earlier play a part.

gunneradt said:
and if Britain and the US pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan would they cease? No. They'd attack states in the Middle East that were friendly to the US or the UK.

Yes, they would. However, if the US and Britain pulled out of the Middle East completely, and adopted a neutral or hands-off approach to its conflicts, they would certainly stop attacking the US and the UK.

phildwyer said:
...How would that lead them to kill innocent civilians in London? Again, the reasons are depressingly simple and depressingly rational. They calculate that by spreading terror among the general population of the UK, they will press public opinion to force Tony Blair to cease his attacks on the Umma. It worked in Spain, and they think it will work here too.
You've got this a little about face. By attacking London they demonstrate they can do what they said they could do. They've little interest in the UK or even the US their primary buisness is within the Umma.

phildwyer said:
Yes, they would. However, if the US and Britain pulled out of the Middle East completely, and adopted a neutral or hands-off approach to its conflicts, they would certainly stop attacking the US and the UK.

Doubt it - our contacts with israel would always give them reason.

gunner

gunneradt said:
Doubt it - our contacts with israel would always give them reason.

Unless we were to sever those contacts? They've never made much sense in terms of realpolitik...

the West has always sympathised with Israel and the vast numbers of influential Jewish population in both the UK and the US would always make the connection exist.

gunner

gunneradt said:
the West has always sympathised with Israel and the vast numbers of influential Jewish population in both the UK and the US would always make the connection exist.

gunner

1) That is incredibly simplistic

2) How many times have we been attacked since 1948 because of this apparent support?

so do we completely change our foreign policy and ensure that we dont upset muslims in any way in any part of the world just to stop the lunatic fringe amongs them?

gunner

gunneradt said:
so do we completely change our foreign policy and ensure that we dont upset muslims in any way in any part of the world just to stop the lunatic fringe amongs them?

gunner

We schedule a timeframe for withdrawal from Iraq, and advocate reinvolving the UN on a temporary basis. We need the Iraqi state to function properly as a state as soon as possible.

I think a withdrawal from Iraq is on the cards but will not solve the problem. Neither the UK nor the US was involved in Afghanistan nor Iraq prior to 9/11.

gunner

gunneradt said:
I think a withdrawal from Iraq is on the cards but will not solve the problem. Neither the UK nor the US was involved in Afghanistan nor Iraq prior to 9/11.

gunner
That's sort of not true at all.

Well, it might be if you ignore the sanctions, the daily bombings, the continued political involvement and so on. In any case, Afghanistan and Iraq are not the only Muslim countries in the world, are they?

gunneradt said:

gunner

Think no fly zones and sanctions, they didn't stop interfering in Iraq since the last Gulf War.

The USA is also more vulnerable as the only global superpower.

I cant get inside their minds. I'm suggesting it will continue no matter what. I may be proved wrong but I doubt it.

gunner

gunneradt said:
the madness of the fundamentalists would find a link no matter what we did.

gunner
That would be the same fundies you trained and armed to fight the USSR in the 80s then? Or maybe other ones.

gunneradt said:
I cant get inside their minds. I'm suggesting it will continue no matter what. I may be proved wrong but I doubt it.

gunner
I can't get inside the minds of Blair and the neo-cons. I'm suggesting their phoney-arse war on terror will continue no matter what. I may be proved wrong but I doubt it.

DexterTCN said:
That would be the same fundies you trained and armed to fight the USSR in the 80s then? Or maybe other ones.

What should we have done, let the Soviets role over them? We fought alongside them in Afghanistan and than they decide to attack the US?

I think that says a lot more about them than it does about America.

Anyway, there is a crisis in Islam. Some of their best and the brightest are blowing themselves up and making nasty chemicals to kill innocents. Its not so bad that they decide to blow themselves to bits (be my guest) its the civilians they take with them which causes so much anguish.

Muslims can't blame America and Israel for these thugs. They must come to grips with the problem and solve it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom