Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Sorry Puddy, a bit of a cheat. It's the London Transport Museum.

thought it was one or the other - it didn't really look old enough to be a museum piece, what with having the non circular circle line and Wood Lane and so on (although looking it up, that was 13 years ago)

or is it that it's been replaced with one ready to show interchanges with crossrail?

Sorry Puddy, a bit of a cheat. It's the London Transport Museum.
Well, that’s not really on ‘the transport network’ then is it. I mean you have to walk to that corner of Covent Garden, it’s not even like you could get a bus to closer than about 200 meters…

Some bloke, who does not appear illeterate asks me if the next train to Euston!
View attachment 313568
I feel I increasingly have this; people asking me if a train or bus goes to a certain place when it's plainly written on a destination board or suchlike. In my imagination their normal life is operated entirely via google maps and ordering ubers, and they are baffled by such old-fashioned customs as using public transport.

I feel I increasingly have this; people asking me if a train or bus goes to a certain place when it's plainly written on a destination board or suchlike. In my imagination their normal life is operated entirely via google maps and ordering ubers, and they are baffled by such old-fashioned customs as using public transport.

I used to commute in Leeds on the main bus route that went past the university. Every October you’d enjoy the Hell of new students who’d probably never seen a fucking bus before trying to understand what to do with one. Each and everyone of the dozens at the stops on Woodhouse Lane getting on, asking the driver ‘does this bus go to Headingley’ (yes, every single fucking bus on this road goes to Headingley, if you bothered looking at the timetable on the stop) followed by them trying to pay with a tenner or their phone or something. You’d easily spend 15 minutes loading in at one stop, then have to endure posh loud voices talking above every other sound about gap years in India etc. Misery-inducing shit. They need lessons in this stuff during introweek.

I used to commute in Leeds on the main bus route that went past the university. Every October you’d enjoy the Hell of new students who’d probably never seen a fucking bus before trying to understand what to do with one. Each and everyone of the dozens at the stops on Woodhouse Lane getting on, asking the driver ‘does this bus go to Headingley’ (yes, every single fucking bus on this road goes to Headingley, if you bothered looking at the timetable on the stop) followed by them trying to pay with a tenner or their phone or something. You’d easily spend 15 minutes loading in at one stop, then have to endure posh loud voices talking above every other sound about gap years in India etc. Misery-inducing shit. They need lessons in this stuff during introweek.
That’s the first stretch of my commute but I cycle it gladly. Very happy to avoid all that!

I think there are now a lot of people out there who have no idea how to read a printed timetable or even understand a basic route map.
TBF, when I was youthfully expanding my dubious interest in bus and rail timetables, there were a LOT of people even back then, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, who didn't have a clue how to read one.

Are timetables still a thing? Here, for example, he bus stops show that during peak hours, the buses run every 10 minutes, off peak every 15 minutes.

Are timetables still a thing? Here, for example, he bus stops show that during peak hours, the buses run every 10 minutes, off peak every 15 minutes.
For the most part, they exist but aren't a thing for many, I guess. Most people would now only ever plan a journey using an online planner of some kind. There are certainly situations where I want to see a timetable, for example trying to plan something on infrequent rural bus services. A journey planner won't give enough information to understand the routes taken, and it might tell me there is no service for a journey I want to do, but only because it is making wrong assumptions, for example the fact that I might be happy to walk a km or two to pick up a service that is near, but not "at" my starting point. And it can be a long winded way to find out, say, when the last bus of the day is, or whether a service runs only certain days. These things are quickly made obvious looking at a proper timetable.

For the most part, they exist but aren't a thing for many, I guess

with bus services, if it's a 'frequent' service (every 12 minutes or better in London, every 10 minutes or better outside London) then punctuality monitoring by TFL / Traffic Commissioners' staff is done on headway, rather than exact adherence by each bus to its scheduled times, on the understanding that if service is that frequent, most people will just go to the bus stop and wait rather than look at a timetable before going to the stop, and if every single bus is X minutes late, the passengers won't know or care, but if there's 3 buses together then a long gap, they will.

i'd be inclined to say a 15 minute headway should have the times (as in buses will be at X time then every 15 minutes until Y time then whatever)

and yes, there will be a timetable, vehicle working schedule and driver duty schedule, even if the service is every 2 minutes or less (some London routes are - or at least were before covid - that frequent) but it's more a basis for further negotiation, as the controller will often ask drivers to run a few minutes early or late to keep the service even.

there are ways and means of doing this - what happens too often in London is that everything ends up at the speed of the slowest bus / driver on the road, and buses get 'held at this stop to regulate the service' one or two stops before a major interchange where many passengers will want to get off. :facepalm:

anything that's not 'frequent' should have and run to a timetable.

You obviously live in a city! Buses go once an hour or every two hours here.

there are services that run one return journey a week, or the second tuesday of the month, and so on...

Back
Top Bottom