Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Off to work down south for a month. Covid dodging skills will be put to the test. View attachment 305179
It all started with Oxenholme becoming 'Oxenholme the Lake District". Next thing, it was 'Penrith the North Lakes'. I assume 'Carlisle the great border city' is only a matter of time in the announcements as per the signs in the station. :rolleyes:

(To the uninitiated, fast trains on the West Coast Mainline always used to stop at bloody Oxenholme, even when they weren't stopping at major stations. Often no-one would get on or off. It was also pre-mobile phones where the guard would call stations up-line to hold local connecting trains when there were delays which used to be all the time.)

(To the uninitiated, fast trains on the West Coast Mainline always used to stop at bloody Oxenholme, even when they weren't stopping at major stations. Often no-one would get on or off. It was also pre-mobile phones where the guard would call stations up-line to hold local connecting trains when there were delays which used to be all the time.)
Why is that? Is the local mayor mates with people in high places?

Why is that? Is the local mayor mates with people in high places?
Mayor? It's a tiny place. It's on the branch line for Windermere but that's not exactly jumping either. Remoteness? Entry to the Lake District? Adverse weather? Who knows? (I bet someone on here does though!)

Yeah, the windermere train used to be held if the main line train was delayed. Doesn’t happen anymore unfortunately. I’ve been stuck waiting on oxenholme station many times because of that.

Yeah, the windermere train used to be held if the main line train was delayed. Doesn’t happen anymore unfortunately. I’ve been stuck waiting on oxenholme station many times because of that.they
They used to call Carlisle and hold the local trains from there. Once they even organised minibuses from Carlisle as they couldn't hold the local trains any longer. :thumbs:

Absolutely no idea. The line out of Waterloo is closed and we are doing some sort of loop to Woking.

Yeah, did the Hounslow loop and then through Staines and up to Addlestone before joining the mainline. I was on that line yesterday, less than a third of folk wearing masks…

Station looks a bit like Egham.

I haven't been on one of those Stadler things yet. What are they like to travel on?

Last time I did that journey it was on a proper train.

View attachment 308528
It’s ok. Seats in first slightly better than the normal ironing board style. WiFi actually working. Even some of the seats line up with the windows! Not as good as the old stock which ran on this route far longer than elsewhere, but not much in the UK is.

ETA

Sorry, I think you meant the Stafker on the GY Norwich leg? They are excellent for branch line stock, great seats and far far better than what was on before.

Did Peterborough to Ipswich via Ely and up to London on the Stadlers the other week - very impressed all round- 1st up to London and that was even better than the decent standard class.

(Really enjoyed the Fen perspective on a brilliant sunny day)

I expect Puddy_Tat will know

hmm

the sign obviously belongs at liverpool street, but there's obviously some sort of catch.

it doesn't look old enough to be an obsolete sign that's been removed and taken somewhere else

the whole thing looks new and clean, so i'm thinking it might be the new bit for crossrail / elizabeth line / whatever the heck it's called this week?

Back
Top Bottom