Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urbfest - 31st August 2024 - Transport geeks assemble!

If you go to RAF Hendon you won't be far from us, so gsv and I might join you for that, and/or you can come back to our way on the bus from Colindale for a drink!

This thread seems to be mostly about coming to London to leave London.

there are some smaller museums -

whitewebbs in enfield - quite limited opening days / times, if we could be sure of a reasonable number of people then could always ask if they would do a group visit on a 'non opening' day

walthamstow pump house

brunel museum at rotherhithe

lt museum depot at acton has a few days a year when it's open - there's nothing listed yet for that late in the year, but they may not have nailed down this year's events yet.

the railway museum at north woolwich closed some years ago. the station building's still there, but not open to the public or anything.

but not sure any of these would really be a day's outing, but we could try and plan a day that involves a few things.

there's a few sites of interest / closed stations / ex railway lines, but nothing all that spectacular.

there's heritage routemasters (now operated commercially and priced to match rather than part of the TFL network) on route T15 between charing cross and tower hill - at least some of them are heavily refurbished / re-engined so personally, meh

the only 'heritage' ish rolling stock in service anywhere is the 1972 trains on the bakerloo line and 1973 trains on the piccadilly line (the latter have got replacements on order) and again, personally, meh (i can remember them being the newest trains on the network...)

doing some sort of river boat thing's a possible - although not sure i fancy doing a speedboat.

the woolwich ferry's a bit niche, but it's very unreliable and prone to technical troubles and /or industrial disputes - it does have phases of not operating weekends.

ETA -

there's also croydon airport, although opening days are a bit limited and don't match. again, if there's enough of us, they might do a private visit.

the thames / river police have a small museum in wapping, normally open to pre-booked groups only

the museum of london (docklands) has plenty on the river and docks.

Last edited:
could yiz just live-stream everything and i'll follow while making sardonic comments.

You could go on the abandoned tube stations tour if it's still running.

that would actually be right up my alley. is there one also for the post office subway?

You could go on the abandoned tube stations tour if it's still running.

the tours that actually go in to closed stations (including the kingsway tram subway) tend to be occasional one-offs, bloody expensive, and tend to get booked up very quick.

that would actually be right up my alley. is there one also for the post office subway?

think at least some of it is visible at the postal museum - they also recommend pre-booking. i had forgotten about that. it's £ 17.60 a go.

the tunnel walks are 60 quid a go, and on tuesday afternoons.

Circle line pub crawl?

Circle line tube rave? Didn’t these used to happen, suppose they’ve banned alcohol now on tube so not so possible ?

A chance to experience unusual transport modes might be a bit different to a museum and is a bit more interactive :)

How many different modes of transport can we use between the start point and Brixton?

Automatic win for anyone geting a ride in the Air Ambulance.
Maybe Parsley will make a surprise return to the boards in order to reclaim his crown :eek:

Back
Top Bottom