Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

When I helped set a station gardening group a few years ago there was theoretically money available from the railway people (Govia Thameslink in our case) but they didn't seem to understand about plants being seasonal, so in reality we'd pay for stuff ourselves and occasionally get money back for bigger purchases months later. I got the impression from the other station gardening groups I visited that they did the same.

Amazed a train company pays for anything like that now.

My point was, there is an alternative. Little bits of life like decorated stations were a norm. Another world is possible.

Depends where you are - certain stations have good support from various local community groups with support from the operators funds to brighten up stations.

Locally - a good effort at the main station , and enthusiastically helped by local station staff and some drivers to water and maintain beds and planters.

Done some work myself. To be encouraged - though not everywhere can be an Adlestrop replica (in your part of the world , Arriva Trains Wales used to encourage local works - free passes handed out to volunteers , and I would hope that Transport for Wales do the same !)

The greatest damage to the station realm is done by Network Rail in my opinion, in their incessant campaign against good passenger environment design, their endless installation of spiked metal fencing and over-engineered everything.

There’s some pretty stations on the SWR west of England line, I want to say it’s Crewkerne but may be wrong, maybe Sherborne?

I’ll be taking a trip on it in a few months so will report back (perhaps)

The greatest damage to the station realm is done by Network Rail in my opinion, in their incessant campaign against good passenger environment design, their endless installation of spiked metal fencing and over-engineered everything.

I agree - the brutalistic obsession with spiked fencing has been going on for over 20 years and it is hideous. The instances of serious delays caused by trespassing and vulnerable people on the tracks shows little improvement over what it was. They get on the tracks almost regardless - foot crossing etc , I agree that the principles of railway fencing as mandated by the 1844 act has to be met , but , but does it have be so awful and brutal. ? (and overkill too as in some many instances of over engineering)

Funny how graffiti vandals painting and tagging seem unaffected by all this.......

Is that the infamous mountain range where the Uruguayan rugby team crashed and the survivors had to resort to extreme survival measures? :eek:
yes...I wasn't worried, I had some tasty looking people around me. it's amazing, the mountains rising from a dry arid plane...20 minutes and you're you're over the Andes and descending to the city. I'm now waiting for a flight to Puerto Montt in the south.

yes...I wasn't worried, I had some tasty looking people around me. it's amazing, the mountains rising from a dry arid plane...20 minutes and you're you're over the Andes and descending to the city. I'm now waiting for a flight to Puerto Montt in the south.

This will be great, with fine weather. Flew to Punta Arenas (and back) and that's one of the most amazing, beautiful flights I've ever had. Stunning.

ETA: removed post intended for the politics forum that inexplicably ended up here.

Thanks for your generous like for a completely irrelevant post, A380 :D

ETA again: since I’ve already posted accidentally here I might as well post some relevant content. Went to Windsor & Eton station today but forgot to take a pic to prove it.

Anyway, funny route. It seems to take very little time to get to the likes of Richmond, which would take forever by car
from Clapham Jct, but then takes forever to arrive at Windsor. In the plus side the trains had toilets, which came very handy on the return journey after a day of boozing.

Last edited:
Multi-modal journey from Osaka to Koyasan (Buddhist mountain town). Train-funicular-bus (could have started with Metro but decided to walk).

Japanese public transport is excellent and easy to use - just load an IC card onto your phone and tap in and out.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 3

A magnificent GWR signalbox on a lovely coastal location - got a short term reprieve too. We used to have a sailing boat there in the 1970's and in those easier days it was possible to gain access if you asked nicely and the friendly signalman who would allow you to have a go on the levers under his supervision .......never forgotten and probably helped my path onto a railway operations career.

On a bus waiting in traffic on Princes Street in Edinburgh. In the most Edinburgh-in-tourist-season event, the driver has just tooted his horn to alert a piper who crossed the road in front of us that he's dropped his sgian dubh (I promise I'm not making this up).

A magnificent GWR signalbox on a lovely coastal location - got a short term reprieve too. We used to have a sailing boat there in the 1970's and in those easier days it was possible to gain access if you asked nicely and the friendly signalman who would allow you to have a go on the levers under his supervision .......never forgotten and probably helped my path onto a railway operations career.
I could also have posted this, which was in the opposite direction. Generally speaking, I find the reverse side of signals less interesting than the front.

1721224943290.png

Back
Top Bottom