Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Much to my surprise, I'm (was) on a Number 15 "Heritage Routemaster" bumping along Fleet Street towards Tower Hill.

This was fine until the conductor told me that they don't take the "blue cards", so I got off at St Paul's.

IMG_20240623_143811.jpg

Much to my surprise, I'm (was) on a Number 15 "Heritage Routemaster" bumping along Fleet Street towards Tower Hill.

yes - they were kept on by TFL when routemasters came out of 'proper' service, but TFL stopped it when covid happened, and decided not to continue running it at a fairly high cost.

it's been taken on by a private operator outside the TFL network (like the open top sightseeing buses are), but it's premium fares for tourists and they don't accept travelcards / oyster etc.

yes - they were kept on by TFL when routemasters came out of 'proper' service, but TFL stopped it when covid happened, and decided not to continue running it at a fairly high cost.

it's been taken on by a private operator outside the TFL network (like the open top sightseeing buses are), but it's premium fares for tourists and they don't accept travelcards / oyster etc.

£2.50 which isn't too premium, but as I have a pass, I was not going to pay the extra, particularly as I wasn't informed when boarding.

What price to pay to keep a classic routemaster on the road 🤔
I felt that too, slightly. I got off and caugh a Boris Pseudomaster back to Charing Cross Station, where I was quite tempted by the beautiful open top Routemaster the was at the stop when I arrived.

I got my comeupance on the way home as my phone got snatched by a young person who was far more athletic than me.

This was fine until the conductor told me that they don't take the "blue cards", so I got off at St Paul's.

you could have done the traditional thing, and got on the next one, travelled a few stops until you had to leave, and so on - (the alternative was asking the conductor for somewhere in the other direction)

although not sure how frequent it is and how many times you'd have done that before the first conductor came round again...

:p

and :mad: at phone.

Is it common for flight departure boards in America to display a list of people on standby?
As I understand it yes for internal flights; it is usually for people with flexible tickets who want an earlier or later and if someone doesn’t turn up or misses their connection those on the standby list get a seat

it works the same way for giving space available upgrades for status holders I think, if economy is full but business isn’t they’ll bump people up to business to clear space in economy

That’s how it was explained to me when I took an internal flight from Chicago to San Francisco anyway

That's nice to see. Glad they're still doing it (who pays?). There was a time when a lot of stations were like that, I think there used to even be a prize for best kept station.
When I helped set a station gardening group a few years ago there was theoretically money available from the railway people (Govia Thameslink in our case) but they didn't seem to understand about plants being seasonal, so in reality we'd pay for stuff ourselves and occasionally get money back for bigger purchases months later. I got the impression from the other station gardening groups I visited that they did the same.

I know someone who helps with one, the train company pays for a limited amount of stuff I think & the volunteers can claim a couple of free tickets per year.

Back
Top Bottom