Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
also after eating fish n chips at lunch, and my bread pudding when I got home I'm thinking I need something like a bacon butty cos someone put the idea in my head

only we have no bacon :mad:

so we might have cheese on toast for supper later :cool:

Red peppers roated in extra virgin oiive oil and garlic and stuffed with goats cheese and pine nuts, served on a rocket, baby spinach and watercress salad.

Moroccan chickpeas and spinach stew and cousocus.

Fresh Scottish strawberries in a warm balsamic sauce poured over Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream.

How was it then Soj?

No tea for me, we had a massive lunch of indoor barbecue involving sausages, chicken kebabs, ribs and lamb, followed by rubarb fool and mixed berries. And beer. And wine. And tea.

Red peppers roated in extra virgin oiive oil and garlic and stuffed with goats cheese and pine nuts, served on a rocket, baby spinach and watercress salad.

Moroccan chickpeas and spinach stew and cousocus.

Fresh Scottish strawberries in a warm balsamic sauce poured over Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream.

cooked by me :D

We had a barbeque and spend the last 4 hours ish stuffing ourselves with homemade beef burgers with brie and chili,greek salad,potato salad and lots of jerk chicken..barbequed escovich fish,finishing up with ice cream and washed down with lots of beer and rum cocktails.and spliff of course!

Oink indeed :)

Thought I should pop this in here.

On Saturday a lovely Urbanite cooked us one of the best burgers I have ever had!

Hand made burger, lettuce, tomato, red onion, spring onion, gherkins, tomato relish, mayo mixed with wholegrain mustard and lemon juice and rind all in a sesame toasted bun!
Sounds like over kill but all were so amazingly judged that you could taste each individual ingredient to perfection!

It was so big I had to squash it and quarter it to get in my gob!

Wow! :p

It was lush mate :cool: Didn't need to use any more water than the amounts you stated, although the girl thought it needed more 'sauce'. I though it was fine as it was!

Got loads left so will freeze that

Nice one. :cool:

I'm on 10.30 - 7pm shifts this week so Alex B is the cook. No idea what we're having.

OK guys, I'm on a very tight budget but want something tasty and filling but also low in fat and calories, with some veggies and healthy in general.

Come on Urban, recipe me up?

Or should I start another thread to get more ideas?

OK guys, I'm on a very tight budget but want something tasty and filling but also low in fat and calories, with some veggies and healthy in general.

Come on Urban, recipe me up?

Or should I start another thread to get more ideas?

Ratatouille

1 large onion chopped
1-2 aubergines diced
2 courgettes diced
1 red and 1 green pepper sliced
3-6 cloves of garlic crushed (depending on taste)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
plenty of olive oil
some tomato puree (optional)
Herbs - ideally herbs de Provence, but mixed herbs or others will do.

Mix all the ingredients together in an ovenproof dish. Don't worry if it looks too dry as the juices will come out during cooking.

Cover and cook for around 1 1/2 hours on Gas Mark 7, stirring every half hour or so to prevent the edges burning.

vegan and goes well with rice or couscous

or

Carrot and Red Lentil Soup

2 large carrots
1 large onion
1 small garlic clove (optional)
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
350g red lentils (the non-soak variety)
Sprinkle of paprika (optional)

Chop carrots and onion finely, fry gently until softening.

Add crushed/sliced garlic for one minute.

Wash lentils, make up stock.

Put both in pan with carrots and onions. Add salt and black pepper, and sprinkle of paprika if you fancy.

Bring to boil, simmer for 30-40 minutes, stir occasionally.

Blend to smooth consistency, or if no blender, use a masher for a chunkier soup.

sorry - just had to add this again as it's fucking lush, and it hits all the points kitty

SPINACH AND POTATO CURRY ( ALOO PALAK )

• Spinach 1 bunch
• 2 potatoes
• 1 Onion cut into small pieces
• 3-4 garlic pods
• Small piece of ginger
• 3-4 green chilies
• ½ tsp red chili powder
• 1tsp of coriander powder, cumin powder
• 1tsp of garam masala
• 1tsp of cumin and turmeric
• Salt to taste
In a pan, add the garlic, ginger, green chilies, onions with tsp of oil and sauté them. Add the spinach and cook them. Turn off the heat. After it cools down run into a mixer or a blender.
Boil the potatoes and cut into cubes. Add turmeric, salt and mix them.
Take 1tsp of oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seeds. Once the cumin splutters add the spinach paste and let it boil for few minutes. Now add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt for taste. Add water only if it is needed. Cook for 5-10 mins covered until the potato absorbs the flavor.
Serve hot with chapattis.

sorry - just had to add this again as it's fucking lush, and it hits all the points kitty

• Spinach 1 bunch
• 2 potatoes
• 3-4 garlic pods
• Small piece of ginger
• 3-4 green chilies
• ½ tsp red chili powder
• 1tsp of garam masala
• Salt to taste
In a pan, add the garlic, ginger, green chilies, onions with tsp of oil and sauté them. Add the spinach and cook them. Turn off the heat. After it cools down run into a mixer or a blender.
Take 1tsp of oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seeds. Once the cumin splutters add the spinach paste and let it boil for few minutes. Now add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt for taste. Add water only if it is needed. Cook for 5-10 mins covered until the potato absorbs the flavor.

Wow! That sounds great and out of the three the one that will suit both me and the boy the best, plus I already have nearly all the dry ingredients. Will it feed 2?

Only thing is I don't have a mixer or a blender. I have a sieve or a potato masher, can I do anything with these?

Where is says "1tsp of cumin and turmeric" you cook these separately? As the cumin is the seeds that need to splutter and turmeric is powder yes?

Wow! That sounds great and out of the three the one that will suit both me and the boy the best, plus I already have nearly all the dry ingredients. Will it feed 2?

Only thing is I don't have a mixer or a blender. I have a sieve or a potato masher, can I do anything with these?

Where is says "1tsp of cumin and turmeric" you cook these separately? As the cumin is the seeds that need to splutter and turmeric is powder yes?

it'll feed 2 if you do enough spuds, and have it with some dhal (if you have any lentils?), or just enough chapattis/naans to scoff it with. i'm a greedy bastard so you might not want dhal with it :D

hmmm...it does work best with a blender tbh, but i don't see why pushing it through a sieve shouldn't work.

the turmeric is for coating the spuds before adding to the spinach.

sorry yeh, forgot the recipe is a bit incorrect over the cumin - i used both. the seeds first, then the powder when you add the spuds etc

it'll feed 2 if you do enough spuds, and have it with some dhal (if you have any lentils?), or just enough chapattis/naans to scoff it with. i'm a greedy bastard so you might not want dhal with it :D

hmmm...it does work best with a blender tbh, but i don't see why pushing it through a sieve shouldn't work.

the turmeric is for coating the spuds before adding to the spinach.

sorry yeh, forgot the recipe is a bit incorrect over the cumin - i used both. the seeds first, then the powder when you add the spuds etc

I reckon I'll give it a go.

I'll squeeze what I can through the sieve and then just add back to the mix any bits left.

If I add more spuds do I just up the spinach and add a bit more dried stuff to taste and by eye?

Sorry I'm a bit rubbish :oops:

I reckon I'll give it a go.

I'll squeeze what I can through the sieve and then just add back to the mix any bits left.

If I add more spuds do I just up the spinach and add a bit more dried stuff to taste and by eye?

Sorry I'm a bit rubbish :oops:

round here they usually sell spinach in big bags - that will be enough if you use 4 spuds. nah, you won't need any more dried stuff, but i did find i had to add more salt than i initially thought - but obviously only do that by taste!!!

hey - you could always do some bombay potatoes as well if you haven't got any lentils:) if you've already got spuds and the dried ingredients, they're well worth it

• Spinach 1 bunch
• 2 potatoes
• 3-4 garlic pods
• Small piece of ginger
• 3-4 green chilies
• ½ tsp red chili powder
• 1tsp of garam masala
• Salt to taste

This I have to make.
Plus, I must go all the way thru this thread, making notes.:)

round here they usually sell spinach in big bags - that will be enough if you use 4 spuds. nah, you won't need any more dried stuff, but i did find i had to add more salt than i initially thought - but obviously only do that by taste!!!

hey - you could always do some bombay potatoes as well if you haven't got any lentils:) if you've already got spuds and the dried ingredients, they're well worth it

Come on then, recipe please :D

Oh also for the spinach curry, does it work to eat it with a little rice as well as chapaties to fill the boy up more?

Come on then, recipe please :D
:D
BOMBAY POTATOES

Ingredients
4 tbsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
2 pinches of chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
350g/12oz potatoes, boiled and quartered
salt to taste

Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat setting.
2. To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few mustard seeds, if they pop the oil is ready. Then add the remainder of the mustard seeds.
3. Add the chilli and turmeric powders to the sizzling seeds, and salt to taste.
4. Fry this pungent mixture of oil and spices for 1 minute then add the potatoes. Fry for about 4 minutes until the potatoes are smothered in seeds and appear to have crispy edges. They will look quite yellow in colour. Cover the pan and on a low heat, cook the potatoes for a further 5 minutes.
5. Serve immediately.

careful with the fucking mustard seeds/oil - i got a bit shocked by the seeds popping like motherfuckers yesterday, and jumped back - but still had hold of the seeds in the open container :rolleyes: have been crunching on them all morning :D

Thank you very much sojourner, I may come knocking on your door again some time for recipes if thats ok? :)
By the way are you Asian/of Asian descent or just bloody good with the food?

Thank you very much sojourner, I may come knocking on your door again some time for recipes if thats ok? :)
By the way are you Asian/of Asian descent or just bloody good with the food?

any time :)

err no i'm not the former, more the latter (and i pinched both of those recipes off the net anyway :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom