Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

The fruit and veg stall in the market was selling off MASSIVE bags of mixed chillis for a quid, so I bought one and sorted them out into what I thought were what and used some to make a Thai fish soup.
Turns out I am not as good at recognising chillis as I thought because I think my teeth might have melted.
Was tasty, in a weird and painful way and there's loads left, so I reckon a hefty amount of dilution and bulking it out with more fish and veg will be in order tomorrow.

Homemade pizza. Dough is just doing its thing in the breadmaker. Got a load of cheese and meat leftover for it from a failed buffet.

falafels, normal and sweet potato wedges, roasted broccoli with tomato and coriander, a handful of pickled chillies and a garlic yoghurt dip. Followed by rhubarb crumble and custard

Ashamed to say that yet again it's a supermarket bowl of salad with French dressing, ready-prepared supermarket stirfy veggies / sauce / noodles.
With cheesecake and worse for afters.

A chap handed me a diet club flyer when I was in the front garden earlier - apparently he'd slimmed down from 23 to 19 stone ...

It's Bayram (Eid) here so been at the market stocking up on fruit and veg and in the kitchen most of the afternoon making things. I don't cook often but the results were good!
First, borek...it doesn't look exciting but inside it has cheese, onion, dill and parsley and it's encased in a flaky sort of pastry.

borek.jpg
Watercress salad, includes spring onions, dill, mint, parsley garlic and yoghurt.
salad1.jpg
Carrot and yoghurt salad
salad2.jpg
Mucver..these are courgette fritters, served with garlic yoghurt.
salad3.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

My mum got 2 chickens recently, real ones that lay eggs and live in a coop and run around the garden, and they lay eggs - srsly the best eggs I've ever eaten, really amazing taste and colour.

So, dinner = egg and chips :)

BBQ - kebabs and sausages.

Tonight we appear to be having sausages again, unless Mrs R makes good on her offer to get the ingredients for something our Italian host suggested yesterday - rosti covered with a layer of Taleggio and then asparagus.

Was at the gf's parents yesterday. Her dad fired up the BBQ and we had lamb chops with whole hot peppers, tomatos and a roasted aubergine/garlic/tomato dip. Then I made a cheesecake. My first ever. Turned out pretty damn well except it was more savoury than sweet. Hey ho, lesson learnt though. MOAR SUGAR! Then for dinner we fired up the BBQ again for marinated chicken thighs and I cooked up some garlic mushrooms with Worcestershire sauce to serve with them.

A load of us went out on my mates narrowboat yesterday and ended up at a pub for lunch. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they even had a veggie specials board with half a dozen dishes, plus the few choices off the normal menu and not a veggie lasagne in sight. This is an extreme rarity round here :cool: I had beetroot and sweet potato strudel with beans, peas and new potatoes followed by summer pudding and a few pints of ale.
I think tonight is going to be something similar as I have a beetroot glut going on at the allotment :)

Back
Top Bottom