Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Chicken thighs rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika, ginger and garlic and done in the air fryer, with onion rings, cherry toms and a pickled cucumber.

I've only ever done chip related items in the air fryer, how long and what temp for the chicken thighs? (Also do they have the bone in and skin on, or otherwise).

I've only ever done chip related items in the air fryer, how long and what temp for the chicken thighs? (Also do they have the bone in and skin on, or otherwise).

I do them at 200C for 15 minutes or so, turning halfway through. These are skinless and boneless.

OTOH the chips I've done in it have been shite! I'll keep trying.

I do them at 200C for 15 minutes or so, turning halfway through. These are skinless and boneless.

OTOH the chips I've done in it have been shite! I'll keep trying.

If you are making from fresh potatoes, very thin fries definitely work best, make sure they are completely dry then toss in a bit of oil (and salt IMO - can also add other spices, paprika or other spices can also work well). But if they aren't completely dry, they will steam rather than fry so make sure to pat them dry using kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.

Because they are extremely quick and useful, I like to get the very basic cut chips from the freezer cabinet of supermarkets (just potato already tossed in sunflower oil mostly) - the Morrison's steak cut chips or either Morrison's or Iceland french fries are good. Tried some Lidl fries which are cheaper but they are coated in various things to make them more crispy, I prefer the more natural ones.

If you are making from fresh potatoes, very thin fries definitely work best, make sure they are completely dry then toss in a bit of oil (and salt IMO - can also add other spices, paprika or other spices can also work well). But if they aren't completely dry, they will steam rather than fry so make sure to pat them dry using kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.

Because they are extremely quick and useful, I like to get the very basic cut chips from the freezer cabinet of supermarkets (just potato already tossed in sunflower oil mostly) - the Morrison's steak cut chips or either Morrison's or Iceland french fries are good. Tried some Lidl fries which are cheaper but they are coated in various things to make them more crispy, I prefer the more natural ones.

Thanks for the advice :thumbs: I use sweet potatoes cut very thin then sprayed with oil. I'll make sure they're dry and toss them in oil instead.

Thanks for the advice :thumbs: I use sweet potatoes cut very thin then sprayed with oil. I'll make sure they're dry and toss them in oil instead.

Oh I did some sweet potato fries for OH and they didn't turn out so great - they went a bit soft and broke up for some reason. I haven't tried those in the air fryer since. (Sweet potato wedges in the oven always work great though!)

Oh I did some sweet potato fries for OH and they didn't turn out so great - they went a bit soft and broke up for some reason. I haven't tried those in the air fryer since. (Sweet potato wedges in the oven always work great though!)

Yeah, my efforts have turned out over-crispy. Think I'll try frozen chips next time.

There was talk about a vegetable tray bake, but that takes some effort and we both feel like we can’t be arsed. We’re currently eating down the freezer and the last of the packaged stuff is 4 battered cod fillets + smiley faces, we have mushy peas too so I’ve suggested this instead, but I fancy a delivery too.

I currently don’t know what I’m having.

There was talk about a vegetable tray bake, but that takes some effort and we both feel like we can’t be arsed.
Watched a youtube video of a veg tray bake that looked really interesting - loads of chopped veg with some binding stuff like eggs and flour. It looked lovely when it came out, almost like a veg flatbread type thing - will have to try it one day.

Back
Top Bottom