Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Cooked a chicken in the week, so today I took the remaining meat off the bones and made stock with the carcass. Then I used that stock to make chicken and mushroom rice with tarragon. I made that with a view to using it as a side dish for something else, but it's so very nice on its own, I just had a bowl of that.

Recipe box main dish of vegan fish pie, side dish of home grown PSB.

The pie was sadly not good. They are having a bad patch at the moment and it's a really bad time to have one as so many people will be saying "maybe we should ditch the box now".

Had some pizza with anchovies, a couple of pieces, thought I should eat something else so tried a single piece of toast with beans on but it made me feel sick so couldn't finish it. I have had an issue with being sick in the night a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. Can't understand it.

Had some pizza with anchovies, a couple of pieces, thought I should eat something else so tried a single piece of toast with beans on but it made me feel sick so couldn't finish it. I have had an issue with being sick in the night a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. Can't understand it.
Any new meds?

OH had mussels in a red wine, tomato and herb sauce - they were pre-packed like that in the supermarket. Fries with mayo and sriracha, warm baguette to dip in the mussel cooking liquor. He says the sauce was a little lacklustre so I've said the next time he fancies mussels I'll do a sauce myself for the dish.

Mussels are one of the few things that I really do not enjoy (there is a story behind this but it is not suitable for the tea thread) so I had a chicken kiev from the freezer with fries and sweetcorn.

Last edited:
Pizza tonight. Not got time to make my own as working/volunteering today.

Have got some good toppings and plenty of mozzarella here so might just get a base or some dough :hmm:

I find most pre-made part cooked bases a bit cardboardy, but I noticed some places do like a jusrol type uncooked pizza dough - would like to know if you find a good option! Some of the uncooked ones seem a bit expensive for what they are but Morrisons and Lidl sometimes do ones that seem like a bit better value.

I've now found I think every spot that OH spilled mussel cooking liquor when he was eating last night because the cats have just woken up and gone round doing frenzied licking of parts of the sofa and coffee table, with me following them around with a damp cloth. I did say to OH last night that I should probably provide a tarp while he was eating, he is the messiest git on the planet.

I think having a dining table would help - he knows I would like one and has already objected because he likes to recline on the sofa while he is eating like some fucking Roman patrician.... :facepalm: :hmm:

I’m thinking I should make some pasta, but not sure what to serve it with. I’ve some shellfish that needs using up, but I’ve also some chicken that needs using up, and some morcilla, and some chouriço, and some salad...

I find most pre-made part cooked bases a bit cardboardy, but I noticed some places do like a jusrol type uncooked pizza dough - would like to know if you find a good option! Some of the uncooked ones seem a bit expensive for what they are but Morrisons and Lidl sometimes do ones that seem like a bit better value.
We’ve used the Lidl one. It’s quite good, and better than the cork boards that par cooked bases often are.

I’m thinking I should make some pasta, but not sure what to serve it with. I’ve some shellfish that needs using up, but I’ve also some chicken that needs using up, and some morcilla, and some chouriço, and some salad...

You could do a kind of bastardized (as in completely inauthentic, but based upon) jambalaya I reckon (or a bastardised completely inauthentic paella for that matter!)

But yeah those ingredients are calling out to be turned into a rice based dish.

There’s a paella type dish that uses short pasta, what’s it called? That would satisfy the need to make pasta, and to use up a lot of the other stuff too.

Orzo (short rice shaped pasta) would totally work.

You could probably do something with vermicelli or short macaroni too. Or the small shaped pasta that normally goes in soups would work.

I can’t make macaroni, but the vermicelli is not a problem.

I feel a proper cooking session is going to happen today!

If you are making pasta from scratch to go with those ingredients which are quite robust and chunky, I would suggest something more like a taglietelle or a pappardaelle in width - these should be easy to roll out on your pasta machine and will suit a robust chunky sauce well - you can still cut them up into short chunks and add them for the last few minutes of cooking of the sauce if you want it all in one pot. Thinking about it, vermicelli might get lost in that sauce.

My first port of call will be the Jus Rol option. If not an option then will check the bases available and if 'cardboard' then see if I can find a decent Naan as they work well.

Back
Top Bottom