Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Which American cheese?

Singles; like you get in a cheeseburger... I don't know what else to call it but you get it in a little plastic sleeve 🤣

Basically you cook the pasta untill just shy of aldente whilst your fry some garlic in butter until aromatic, then you add the paster to the pan with some of your (heavily salted) pasta water. Stir in a few american cheese slices for creaminess that gets amplified by your pasta water. Then add parsley, chilli flakes, pepper, keep your sauce a little runny so that it doesn't sieze up too much. Check for seasoning and serve.

It's pretty good!

Last edited:
Singles; like you get in a cheeseburger... I don't know what else to call it but you get it in a little plastic sleeve 🤣

Basically you cook the pasta untill just shy of aldente whilst your fry some garlic in butter until aromatic, then you add the paster to the pan with some of your (heavily salted) pasta water. Stir in a few american cheese slices for creaminess that gets amplified by your pasta water. Then add parsley, chilli flakes, pepper, keep your sauce a little runny so that it doesn't sieze up too much. Check for seasoning and serve.

It's pretty good!

It's not American cheese (there are actually some decent real cheeses produced in the US, it isn't all out of a tube or a plastic sleeve!), it's processed cheese slices (or Kraft slices if being brand-specific) which are something like 40% vegetable oil.

ETA: You can do pretty much the exact same dish using some grana padano or parmesan or pecorino or a mix of those instead of your orange dyed vegetable oil and dairy slices and it is a whole lot nicer and less greasy (and yeah I know I sometimes grumble about food elitism here on suburban, but even I have to draw the line somewhere)

Last edited:
It's not American cheese (there are actually some decent real cheeses produced in the US, it isn't all out of a tube or a plastic sleeve!), it's processed cheese slices (or Kraft slices if being brand-specific) which are something like 40% vegetable oil.

My apologies it's just what I'm used to calling it - no offense meant! I don't mean to imply that all american cheese is like that 😅

It's pretty good!
Jesus christ

No, over here sirloin is the cheapest cut and ny strip is just below the filet mignon

You must mean the cheapest cut of steak for frying or grilling, not the cheapest cut of the entire cow (I know you have different terminology for cuts of beef, but cheek, shin, other cuts for stewing or slow cooking is usually cheaper)

ETA: You can do pretty much the exact same dish using some grana padano or parmesan or pecorino or a mix of those instead of your orange dyed vegetable oil and dairy slices and it is a whole lot nicer and less greasy (and yeah I know I sometimes grumble about food elitism here on suburban, but even I have to draw the line somewhere)

Haha, of course you can do a version that isn't weaponised against italian nonnas, but my wife has nostalgia for cheese slices. They add a nice creaminess to the dish once you add the pasta water too, and we of course and parmesan to it too. The end result actually doesn't taste too greasy at all ;)

Edit: Also, if it's ok for J Kenji Lopez (who's referrenced in the cacio e pepe recipe), I'm cool with it :p

Back
Top Bottom