Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Chinese delivery. I’ve got crispy beef and Mr Looby has his gross battered chicken balls.
I wanted Wagamama but didn’t want to leave the dogs to collect because of bastard fireworks.

Is there a recipe for this wondrous sounding thing?
I adapted it from a HFW recipe which I can't find online, apart from in the Sun :mad:

• 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
  • 1 medium squash (600-700g), peeled and cut into 1-2cm cubes
  • 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
  • 200g wholegrain basmati rice
  • 4 tbsp curry paste, home-made or your favourite ready-made one
  • 200ml coconut milk
  • 200g chard, cut into thin ribbons, stalks and leaves together
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • Coriander leaves to finish (optional)
METHOD: Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas 5. Put the onions and squash into a large roasting dish.

Trickle over the oil, add salt and pepper, stir well and roast for about 40 minutes, stirring once, until tender and lightly coloured.

Meanwhile, cook the rice in plenty of boiling salted water until just tender. It will probably take 25-30 minutes but check the packet guidelines.

When it is done, drain well and keep warm in its saucepan.

Once the squash and onions are cooked, add the curry paste and coconut milk to the roasting dish and stir well.

Toss in the chard and stir again.

Return to the oven for about 15 minutes until everything is bubbling and the chard is wilted.

Tip in the cooked rice and stir well then serve, scattered with coriander if you like.

I roast the squash for about 15 minutes before adding the onion.

It is so versatile, you can sub any root veg for the squash, and leeks, peppers, courgettes etc for the onion. Also any leafy green for the chard.

Back
Top Bottom