Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Another Zoom dinner challenge; something involving a grain or seed that isn't rice or wheat. I've made a veg tagine. with which I'm going to do some quinoa.

I've never been all that enthusiastic about quinoa. It's alright, but I've not found a way of making it well enough to tempt me away from rice on a regular basis, so this jar of it's been at the back of the cupboard for months. Let's see if I have any more luck this evening...

Another Zoom dinner challenge; something involving a grain or seed that isn't rice or wheat. I've made a veg tagine. with which I'm going to do some quinoa.

I've never been all that enthusiastic about quinoa. It's alright, but I've not found a way of making it well enough to tempt me away from rice on a regular basis, so this jar of it's been at the back of the cupboard for months. Let's see if I have any more luck this evening...
Dry frying it first helps. So does making it with some stock instead of water.

Spag bol again, we've got no water (like a lot of East London right now) so I had to go out and buy a fucking bottle of water so I can cook the spaghetti - starting to feel a bit apocalyptic.

BTW if you hear news stories about Londoners panic buying water that is probably why, everyone was in Morrisons picking up a bottle or two for the basics in case it doesn't get fixed tonight, folks were being sensible and getting reasonable amounts but the shelves were depleting rapidly.

Spag bol again, we've got no water (like a lot of East London right now) so I had to go out and buy a fucking bottle of water so I can cook the spaghetti - starting to feel a bit apocalyptic.

BTW if you hear news stories about Londoners panic buying water that is probably why, everyone was in Morrisons picking up a bottle or two for the basics in case it doesn't get fixed tonight, folks were being sensible and getting reasonable amounts but the shelves were depleting rapidly.
We take tap water very much for granted. There’s often trouble with the mains here but if there’s a burst main in the village, the water company distributes bottled water to every home. I’m paranoid about not having water, harking back to the days when all the kids were here, plus lots of animals and poultry.
I still have seven rainwater butts (the septic tank can cope with a bucket of rainwater flushing the loo), also 30 litres of tap water stored indoors. And I always fill the kettle before I go to bed!

Sure. My first go and I converted cups to metric and winged it slightly

120g self raising flour.
65g milk
Teaspoon butter
3g salt
2g sugar

Kneaded and wrapped in cling film for about an hour. Gently cut up and rolled into small balls and deep fried at 155c.
Would they work if rolled in sugar as a sweet, do you think?

We take tap water very much for granted. There’s often trouble with the mains here but if there’s a burst main in the village, the water company distributes bottled water to every home. I’m paranoid about not having water, harking back to the days when all the kids were here, plus lots of animals and poultry.
I still have seven rainwater butts (the septic tank can cope with a bucket of rainwater flushing the loo), also 30 litres of tap water stored indoors. And I always fill the kettle before I go to bed!

Alas living in an upstairs flat I don't really have much opportunity to collect rainwater and not a lot of space to store tap water in bottles - with no water tank all our water comes from the mains, so when there's a burst main that's it. They haven't located the leak yet, apparently it is in the Hackney Marshes area and they have several teams trying to find it, so I doubt it will be back on tonight. A large and densely populated area of East London is affected, I imagine if it is still out tomorrow they will set up distribution points for people to pick up bottled water - hopefully it won't come to that. Fortunately we didn't need to do laundry tonight and have enough clean dishes, skipping a shower isn't going to hurt and we have hand sanitiser for keeping our hands clean. I could technically have done a meal that didn't require water for boiling anything (the remains of the bolognaise sauce with baked spuds or something), but I needed to buy water for the cats anyway and I'd rather have it with pasta. :rolleyes: :(

Won't hurt to get into the habit of filling the kettle before bed however.

Last edited:
Yeah it isn't going to be back on tonight or probably tomorrow, they'll be updating us later with bottled water distribution information for the morning. :(

Tomorrow's dinner will be planned around this, not had burgers and chips for a while and that is easy without water. Might have to buy some paper plates though :(

Sure. My first go and I converted cups to metric and winged it slightly

120g self raising flour.
65g milk
Teaspoon butter
3g salt
2g sugar

Kneaded and wrapped in cling film for about an hour. Gently cut up and rolled into small balls and deep fried at 155c.

God yes. I've never fried dough before, but they weren't a million miles from donuts. Apparently Jamaicans have a sweeter version called festivals, but at this point I'm happy for someone who knows more about the cuisine to step in. :)

Back
Top Bottom