Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's currently good on the BBC iPlayer?

Utterly shocking and disgusting film about how the wonderful EU's biggest agency systematically abuses and kills asylum seekers. Explicitly kidnaps people and sends them out to die. The sinking of the Adriana, with 600 people on board, provides the main part of the film, but it isn't even the worst thing they do. Words cannot express

Loving is on iplayer. It’s a film about a mixed race couple in America, set in the past. It’s really good, at least I enjoyed it in the cinema.

Currently rewatching Booksmart which is so far as excellent as I remember.

This is on ITV X, not the iPlayer, but I can't see an ITV X thread 🤷‍♂️

This is the thread that tends to be used for channels/streaming services that don't have their own thread :)

This is the thread that tends to be used for channels/streaming services that don't have their own thread :)

Cheers, have posted it into that thread

Not sure if already mentioned, but just seen both seasons of Tokyo Vice are now on iplayer

I really enjoyed this show, about an American journalist based in Japan covering the yakuza. Michael Mann was involved somehow (exec prod?) and it’s got that neo-noir thing going on that I am, admittedly, an absolute sucker for

A tentative recommendation for Domino Day to fans of the supernatural/ fantasy drama. Nowhere as good as Being Human or Sabrina, but passable enough for aficionados of the genre.

I've just now got round to having a bash at this, halfway through episode 1 it seems quite interesting.

Oh my god - Luibeilt!
What a story that is! Absolute belter.

And there's more, apparently. Just on case 15 series 1 after a hiatus from the show, and Robbins is doing the introductory updates.

A John McAlpine, a gamekeeper, is said to have died of suicide at Luibeilt in 1890.

Phil, who recounted the subject of the original episode you will remember, was still getting spooky goings on when he left Luibeilt and returned to the house in Gibson Street in Glasgow that he was living in. Turns out (usual 'hmm' applies obvs) that a one year old child, named as John McAlpine, is recorded as living in the same house in Gibson Street in 1850. The same person? We don't know. Mad though, possibly.

Last edited:
It might have been intended as a teen/ young adult production, which it would only be fair given that it’s an adaptation of a young adult novel, but we’re finding A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder quite watchable. Teenage murder mystery miniseries set in a picturesque English countryside village featuring a late teen student who decides to investigate the deaths of a popular teenage couple five years prior.

The main character played Jenna Ortega’s highly annoying but well meaning roommate in Wednesday, and she’s pretty good in this. Ultimately it won’t be for anyone who doesn’t like young adult stuff, but if you liked the likes of Enola Jones you should enjoy this

It might have been intended as a teen/ young adult production, which it would only be fair given that it’s an adaptation of a young adult novel, but we’re finding A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder quite watchable. Teenage murder mystery miniseries set in a picturesque English countryside village featuring a late teen student who decides to investigate the deaths of a popular teenage couple five years prior.
Some bits were filmed in Bath near my friend's mum's house. (She mentioned it the other day which is exactly all I know about the programme.)

Some bits were filmed in Bath near my friend's mum's house. (She mentioned it the other day which is exactly all I know about the programme.)
Finished it tonight and it’s pretty decent as a non-committal murder mystery miniseries. And it was completely wrong to describe it as a young adult show. It’s not hardcore heavy stuff but it has some dark grownup themes.

Better than plenty of ITV murder drama series anyway.

Finished it tonight and it’s pretty decent as a non-committal murder mystery miniseries. And it was completely wrong to describe it as a young adult show. It’s not hardcore heavy stuff but it has some dark grownup themes.

Better than plenty of ITV murder drama series anyway.
It’s not wrong in the slightest to call it YA. It should be on at teatime, not 11pm. The character interactions are very badly done and utterly unbelievable (for an adult drama). Haven’t finished it yet, but it’s been utterly predictable and the darkness has been done in loads of YA stuff.

I've started rewatching The Thick of It and Your Cheatin' Heart this weekend due to being awake too long/too early.

May have to give Hamish Macbeth and Tutti Frutti another watch too after I've done these.

Last edited:
I've started rewatching The Thick of It and Your Cheatin' Heart this weekend due to being awake too long/too early.

May have to give Hamish Macbeth and Tutti Frutti another watch too after I've done these.

I was reminded of a number of TTOI quotes during the election:

"The guy's an epic fuck-up! He's so dense light bends round him!"

"That's the problem with the public - they're fucking horrible."

Just started watching Spent. Quite hilarious and quite horrible in the same breath. Episodes are only 30 mins and it's set in Brixton. 😍
I suppose I should have said what it's about 🤣
Fashion model has to come back to the UK as she's been spending it like Beckham and gone bust in the US....
Actually that sounds terrible!
Based party on the Michelle de Swartes real life

Last edited:
Ghosts US Season 3 was uploaded on Monday just gone.

Only 10 episodes, not sure if that's the whole season or there's more on the way?

The Game - cold war spy thriller set in the early 70s - MI5 agents try to foil a dastardly KGB plot- very good indeed.
Blackly comic, slightly knowing but also really well written, great charachters and tightly plotted.
Great period detial too - all muted colours and nicotine stains everywhere. Made in 2015 but id never heard of it.

I really like Michelle de Swarte. The podcast she did with Laura Smyth was a fave of mine.

I'm trying to watch The Jetty and it's near impossible because it's so dark. Literally.
I keep turning the volume up because I can't see. :facepalm:

I missed Copa 71, the documentary about the 1971 women’s soccer World Cup that Fifa tried to ban, when it had a cinematic release but it is now on Storyville on the iplayer and will try and catch it one day :)
This was quite good, not really a fan of football but this was an important story to tell.

Reactions: Sue
There’s a French film called Full Time on iplayer at the moment. I saw it in the cinema. It’s brilliant. Highly recommended.
Finally got round to this after missing it in the cinema, it is indeed brilliant. Laure Calamy is outstanding but all of the performances around her are excellent too. How refreshing to see such intelligent handling of subject matter that rarely makes it to a screen, despite being incredibly common.

I’m enjoying End of Summer, new Swedish drama. (Made in 2023, released 2024 here).

5-year-old Billy disappears in rural south Sweden in 1984, the police investigation is inconclusive, shattering the family. 20 years later, Billy's sister Vera, meets a hauntingly familiar young man, which forces her to unravel the truth.

Finally got round to this after missing it in the cinema, it is indeed brilliant. Laure Calamy is outstanding but all of the performances around her are excellent too. How refreshing to see such intelligent handling of subject matter that rarely makes it to a screen, despite being incredibly common.
Thanks to those who recommended this Full Time (A Plein Temps)
Not a relaxing watch, but then it isn't supposed to be. Acting and film score amazing.
As someone without children, it was a realistic (if scary) insight into the life of a single mum.
Highly recommend

Back
Top Bottom