Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s good to stream? Any platform. Newer programmes.

Oh yes, Severance, Silo and Foundation on Apple TV - all excellent especially Severance, but Mrs la rouge hates sci fi unfortunately.
Yeah, some of these might work for me, thanks, but I’m after something I can watch with Mrs LR. She’s much more into character and interpersonal drama. Neither of us are into action as a genre. Occasional action as part of the narrative is fine (though I do use it as an excuse to put the kettle on if it goes on too long), but action as a genre, no.

Westerns are going to be a hard sell for her too. And for me, frankly.

Fisk. ( Netflix) it’s quite a gentle character driven commercial set in a Melbourne. It’s nothing like the Detectorists but feels a bit like it.
Sounds great! We both loved the Detectorists and Colin From Accounts. So a blend of them would be great.
The Wire if you haven’t seen it. All brilliant apart from the last series which is just good.
Wasn’t for me.
From back in the day The ‘New’ Battlestar Galactica’ 2009/10? Don’t laugh it’s brilliant.
Loved it.

Also. A bit different. Superstore.

Starts as a good above average but normal American sitcom set in a (not) Walmart. Becomes a slightly surreal very good sitcom a bit like Green Wing and eventually develops quite a political edge ( American Unionisation of retail, minimum wage jobs and the way undocumented migrants are treated) whilst still remaining very funny. Short 22 ish minute episodes too.

No, it got ridiculous. From memory it should have stopped after season 4.
You made it past season 2? :eek: I keep meaning to go back and give it another try one day, but that's as far as I got.

With the disclaimer that I mostly watch sitcoms, I think Corporate is a really under-rated piece of gold - maybe not as perfect as Bojack Horseman or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but very very good all the same. And it's got a sci-fi show in it that they take the piss out of, so maybe that's a happy medium amount of sci-fi?

The rich people tv show is alright, it's not as good as Peep Show though. The Boys? Russian Doll?

I've recently got into Steptoe & Son, that's pretty good, it might not technically count as "newer", though?

Oh yes, Severance, Silo and Foundation on Apple TV - all excellent especially Severance, but Mrs la rouge hates sci fi unfortunately.
Is Severance Sci fi? I don't generally watch the Sci fi my partner loves but loved this. Mind you I also enjoyed BSG.

Fisk. ( Netflix) it’s quite a gentle character driven commercial set in a Melbourne. It’s nothing like the Detectorists but feels a bit like it.

The Detectorists if you haven’t seen it. It’s nothing like you imagine it’s going to be. Gentle comedy.

The Wire if you haven’t seen it. All brilliant apart from the last series which is just good.

Westworld. The most recent series was the best so far. (Although it’s probably worth a quick spoiler review as it is quite confusing if you miss something…I missed it….)

From back in the day The ‘New’ Battlestar Galactica’ 2009/10? Don’t laugh it’s brilliant.
I did the food on the first series of The Detectorists.
Filmed in Suffolk despite being set in Essex.
Mostly shot in Framlingham and Bentwaters airbase.
They were a pain in the arse to be honest but it turned out to be good TV.
I even got some of my food on screen. The prop department requested a bright yellow cabbage curry. I got a nice bottle of port for doing that.

Has anyone seen I'm a Virgo? I've just checked my list of "television programmes I've made a vague note to get around to watching at some point" and apparently there's a programme called From, I thought I must've put a comma in the wrong place there but apparently it's a real thing, maybe From is good. Or maybe not, I've not seen it.

I don't fancy working for AC 12, does that make H a cylon?
What, out of Steps?

I loved Spiral. If it’s anything like that, I’m in.
Try Borgen, I think that's all on Netflix. Although Spiral's a French police/judicial procedural and Borgen's a Danish political drama (albeit with some crime and corruption thrown into the mix), they're both high quality dramas witj a strong female lead, good writing, good storylines.

I would second The Americans and The Bear, and also suggest Lupin on Netflix and Masters of the Air on Apple. Oh, and Severance on Apple if you haven't seen it.

Lupin is French Sherlock Holmes but far more fun than that sounds, Masters is the final part of the Band of Brothers trilogy and IMHO even non war programme people will enjoy it and Severance is off kilter, funny, sad and brilliant.
I second Lupin. Omar Sy is really good.

On Apple+ I thought The Morning Show was very good. I thought Reese Witherspoon would act Jennifer Aniston under the table, but she held her own. I thought it was a really intelligent and interesting and thoughtful take on #MeToo in the context of office politics and power dynamics in the workplace, as well as how gender plays out while working in the media, women feeling under more pressure over their looks and ageing than men in equivalent roles.

Not to be rude, but I mean what’s good at the moment, not “give me a rundown of programmes going back to the 90s”. 😆
I think Sweet Tooth's final (third) season is coming out soon. Although the premise is sort of fantasy, boy born part-deer, it's not too outlandish like in a space sci-fi aliens and intergalactic wars or elves and dragons fantasy way.

It's actually quite sweet and engaging. I'd say try an episode, see if it reels you in.

Only Murders in the Building was great, especially the first season

I don't usually go in for 'based on a true story' crime stuff but Black Bird on Apple+ was good, with Taron Egerton as a prison snitch trying to get information from a creepy serial killer

Back
Top Bottom