Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s good to stream? Any platform. Newer programmes.

I second Lupin. Omar Sy is really good.

On Apple+ I thought The Morning Show was very good. I thought Reese Witherspoon would act Jennifer Aniston under the table, but she held her own. I thought it was a really intelligent and interesting and thoughtful take on #MeToo in the context of office politics and power dynamics in the workplace, as well as how gender plays out while working in the media, women feeling under more pressure over their looks and ageing than men in equivalent roles.
I also really enjoyed The Morning Show - reckon this would appeal to your partner, Danny. Though it did go perilously close to shark jumping in season 3.

Try Borgen, I think that's all on Netflix. Although Spiral's a French police/judicial procedural and Borgen's a Danish political drama (albeit with some crime and corruption thrown into the mix), they're both high quality dramas witj a strong female lead, good writing, good storylines.
Yes, I loved The Bridge, the Killing, Borgen, and so on. Although I found the Borgen come back disappointing. (But not as bad as the Gilmore Girls come back, which we have agreed in our house didn’t happen).

Have you tried reality show ‘Blown Away’ on Netflix? It’s like pottery throwdown but glass blowing, and fascinating to watch the process. My daughter put me onto it and after 2 attempts at episode one, as I found the swagger of the contestants a bit off putting initially, I was captivated by it, by the whole sense of heat and speed and craft.

Have you tried reality show ‘Blown Away’ on Netflix? It’s like pottery throwdown but glass blowing, and fascinating to watch the process. My daughter put me onto it and after 2 attempts at episode one, as I found the swagger of the contestants a bit off putting initially, I was captivated by it, by the whole sense of heat and speed and craft.
Thank you, but I don’t like pottery throw down, or sew off, or the Apprentice.

How about Slow Horses? It's a spy thriller that's more le carre than Clancy. Gary Oldman is amazing in it.
👀

Not sure where the joshing is at right now, but I mention in the OP that we are fans. I had previously read the books.

But if you’re teasing me, that’s fine too.

I've just started The Tourist and quite like it.
Also enjoyed Black Snow and loved Deadloch.
The Bear is brilliant, season 1 more than season 2.
The Change (C4) is great
Also lots of good Agatha Christie type stuff on iplayer.
Loads more to recommend cos I've been watching a lot of TV recently.

danny la rouge , if you have the Channel 4 app on the TV, you could browse through their World Drama category and look at some of the Walter Presents stuff. Most of the best crime / political-conspiracy dramas I've seen in the last year or so have been from there.

eg. Faking Hitler, The Twelve, Floodland, Partisan, Top Dog, Manayek, Deutschland 83/86, Truth Will Out, Box 21, Red Light, Four Strangers, The Lost. Loads of really good stuff, as long as you're ok with subtitles.

C4 has quite the surprising trove of stuff hidden behind the abhorrent interface of their streaming site. Which I still call 4OD. Fuck them.
Grab it while you can, they're bleeding money the way live TV advertising rates are going. They probably won't be there forever, unless they merge the "public service" broadcasters into some BBC/C4 hydra mutant.

danny la rouge , if you have the Channel 4 app on the TV, you could browse through their World Drama category and look at some of the Walter Presents stuff. Most of the best crime / political-conspiracy dramas I've seen in the last year or so have been from there.

eg. Faking Hitler, The Twelve, Floodland, Partisan, Top Dog, Manayek, Deutschland 83/86, Truth Will Out, Box 21, Red Light, Four Strangers, The Lost. Loads of really good stuff, as long as you're ok with subtitles.
Thanks. Yes, we do absolutely hammer Walter Presents. Lots of lovely foreign stuff. Many Norse Noir, French kids disappearing by lakes, Danish kids falling off ferries, Italian cops who target people trafficking, etc. And I use subtitles even when watching programmes in English, because my brain likes it.

Yes, we loved that. It was great. And made me realise how ubiquitous dimmies are in Aus!
Just started watching Australian Gangster, can't vouch for it as I've only just started but seems pretty good so far.

ETA* Okay, this link is to a 1hr 30 segment from a film that's 2.50 long. The full film is on youtube to buy/rent.
Just watched it, definitely feels like I've lost a lot of the back story.
Doesn't have the charisma of Mr Inbetween, basically a coke head gang film. Held me for the duration. I think the full version would probably have more to it.

eta part 2

it's interesting though as it's based on a real world figure.

Last edited:
I watched a film through our Sky platform the other night called Soft & Quiet.
I thought it was pretty good. I won't spoil it too much but it's a nasty, white supremacist home invasion by a group of women that gets a bit more out of control than they quite intended when they set out.
I'd recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom