Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s good to stream? Any platform. Newer programmes.

The only commonality between SW and LOTR, really, is diversity of intelligent life forms which can nevertheless communicate with each other in English.

Also present in that dreadful BBC1 teatime show about a time travelling alien.

As I understand it, they stand for And It’s Unfortunately Inevitable.

“As I understand it”, they stand for. And it’s unfortunately inevitable.

Maybe you should try a less ecologically friendly but slightly more effective search engine?

“As I understand it”, they stand for. And it’s unfortunately inevitable.

Maybe you should try a less ecologically friendly but slightly more effective search engine?
I searched the acronym now (on DDG) and it’s just a version of IIRC! Doh! I was expecting a book by Joseph Campbell called “And It’s Unfortunately Inevitable”. Sorry, I’m obviously not fully firing today.

As I understand it, they stand for And It’s Unfortunately Inevitable.
So, yes, my objection to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is not so much the subjects but a feel, a type of storytelling, and - yes - a Campbell-esque ethic. It bores the fuck out of me.

I searched the acronym now (on DDG) and it’s just a version of IIRC! Doh! I was expecting a book by Joseph Campbell called “And It’s Unfortunately Inevitable”. Sorry, I’m obviously not fully firing today.
Apologies for my post then. I quite literally thought you were winding him up on purpose. We all have days like that, I guess.

FWIW, I'm surprised you didn't gel with Severance.

Enjoying The Morning Show on Apple. Takes a while to find it's stride but a great cast giving it everything they've got, especially leads Jennifer Anniston and permanently furious Reese Witherspoon. Not outstanding but very watchable.

Thanks. Yes, we do absolutely hammer Walter Presents. Lots of lovely foreign stuff. Many Norse Noir, French kids disappearing by lakes, Danish kids falling off ferries, Italian cops who target people trafficking, etc. And I use subtitles even when watching programmes in English, because my brain likes it.

The Walter Presents curation is one of the best things on tv.

If you haven't seen it yet, try Dark Rivers. A German 4-parter about a woman and daughter in a witness protection scheme that gets blown. It's a serious show but there's some occasional quirky humour to it which is subtle and very German. Anyone who's ever wanted to strangle their teenage kid will totally sympathise with the mother. Really enjoyed it.

Enjoying The Morning Show on Apple. Takes a while to find it's stride but a great cast giving it everything they've got, especially leads Jennifer Anniston and permanently furious Reese Witherspoon. Not outstanding but very watchable.
I thought it was very good. I was expecting Reese Witherspoon to act Jennifer Aniston under the table, but she holds her own. And I thought the #MeToo aspects of the storylines were very cleverly done, highlighting some grey areas, questioning the power imbalance between relationships, and so on, some really thought-provoking stuff.

I’m not volunteering to do it, but given how many streaming platforms there are nowadays and the fact that most of them allow you to drop off and rejoin as you please on a monthly basis, it’d be great if someone could create a guide of what’s worth watching on every one, and the best times throughout a calendar year to sign up to a particular service to binge their best recent offerings. Sounds like what AI was created for if you ask me.

All this is prompted by A Gentleman in Moscow on Paramount+, which two episodes in is very good imo, but as an eight-parter you’d need to wait until mid-May at the earliest if you want to binge it in one month as it has just started.

Anyways, whereas of course not all their shows are winners and they have at the time of writing a much smaller catalogue than their rivals, I have to say Paramount+ probably has the greatest good-to-crap ratio of all paid services. We’ve often struck gold with even stuff we’d never heard of. We recently decided to check out Twisted Metal, a Mad Max style post apocalyptic action comedy series, and it was brilliant weekend entertainment adult comedy fodder. Recommended to anyone with a Paramount subscription.

Amazon with Bruce Parry seems to be getting pushed again, and no doubt still as relevant today as it was almost two decades ago. Classic documentary, not sure it was a BBC original?

it’d be great if someone could create a guide of what’s worth watching on every one, and the best times throughout a calendar year to sign up to a particular service to binge their best recent offerings. Sounds like what AI was created for if you ask me.
Anyone done this?

I’m on the lookout for something to watch again.

We just tried the Bear and GLOW and didn’t take to either. The first was very stressful and I couldn’t make out what anyone was saying, and the second, despite having Alison Brie, just didn’t grab us. (Two episodes each, btw).

So what’s out there?

I've rather enjoyed Those about to die. Fairly good story and and absolutely loved the sets of ancient Rome.

Available on Prime or your favorite torrent site.

What genre are you looking for?

Am I correct that you didn't like Ozark, or was that someone else?
That’s often going to be issue, isn’t it? Perhaps they could use whatever algorithms or AI dating sites employ to get fed recommendations from people aligned to your tastes.

Back
Top Bottom