Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What’s good to stream? Any platform. Newer programmes.

I also thought the Americans was shit when I watched the first episode, and abandoned it. Then some time later read how good it is and went back to it. And honestly, it really improves.

Something else I watched recently and loved - The Curse (Paramount). But I hesitate to recommend it, because it's definitely not for everyone - a cringey, sometimes difficult to watch satire - and if you hate it there's fuck all else worth watching on Paramount.

I'm also finding it quite hard to find things to watch these days though. Seems to be a real drought of high quality drama.
The Curse is fabulous

In that case it’s definitely not for me. I tried episode one and it really didn’t appeal to me in any way. Quite the opposite.
Ah well, you tried :)

Thats got the sequence set to Tusk if I remember rightly. Perhaps that’s the reason… You might not have liked the montages in later seasons set to Crowded House and Dire Straits I suppose :D

Never got into that. But I still feel I should do at some point...

The first season seems weirdly archaic (payphones play a huge role) because of the source material, but it really gets going in season two. And if you can find a subtitled version, so much the better.

Fifth season was screwed by a writers strike IIRC. Also it took on a rather soft target in the newspaper industry.

The first season seems weirdly archaic (payphones play a huge role) because of the source material, but it really gets going in season two. And if you can find a subtitled version, so much the better.
There’s a thread somewhere of me watching season one, everyone telling me the next episode is the one where it gets going, then finally people starting to say it doesn’t get going until series 3.

It didn’t do anything for me. I thought it was hackneyed and boring, and the magic black guy in the office trope frankly racist. I struggled on with series one but just didn’t like it. Lots of people loved it, which is great. I’m not against other people enjoying stuff. But people were really angry with me for not liking it. 😆

However I’ve got some suggestions here. But I agree with lazythursday - there’s a bit of a drought.

Mrs LR and I are looking for something to binge together. But we can’t find anything. Maybe it’s choice paralysis, but there’s nothing we fancy together. We will consider getting a subscription if it’s a service we don’t have.

She doesn’t like sci fi or fantasy (although she loved Poor Things). She thought the Sopranos was the best thing she’d ever watched (I loved it too).

We recently watched and loved Mr Inbetween (Soprano vibes there - the family life of a hitman).

We tried Domino Day, although it’s not really her kind of thing, but it didn’t really catch our imagination.

We loved series one of Ted Lasso, series two was a huge disappointment, series three regained the magic to begin with, but then started dragging again with overlong episodes and too much schmaltz.

We watched Yellowjackets first season - I’d give it a 6 - but gave up on the second season. It wasn’t going to go anywhere.

There’s nothing really clicking. So what are we missing? Slow Horses was the last thing we both loved.

Yellowstone is the best thing we've seen for the last couple of years. It takes a couple of episodes to get into because it starts as a slow burn, introducing the characters but it really takes off.

You'll binge 5 seasons in no time.

I would second The Americans and The Bear, and also suggest Lupin on Netflix and Masters of the Air on Apple. Oh, and Severance on Apple if you haven't seen it.

Lupin is French Sherlock Holmes but far more fun than that sounds, Masters is the final part of the Band of Brothers trilogy and IMHO even non war programme people will enjoy it and Severance is off kilter, funny, sad and brilliant.

I would second The Americans and The Bear, and also suggest Lupin on Netflix and Masters of the Air on Apple. Oh, and Severance on Apple if you haven't seen it.

Lupin is French Sherlock Holmes but far more fun than that sounds, Masters is the final part of the Band of Brothers trilogy and IMHO even non war programme people will enjoy it and Severance is off kilter, funny, sad and brilliant.

Your affection for Lupin downgrades this post from waffle party to melon bar.

Fisk. ( Netflix) it’s quite a gentle character driven comedy set in a Melbourne. It’s nothing like the Detectorists but feels a bit like it.

The Detectorists if you haven’t seen it. It’s nothing like you imagine it’s going to be. Gentle comedy.

The Wire if you haven’t seen it. All brilliant apart from the last series which is just good.

Westworld. The most recent series was the best so far. (Although it’s probably worth a quick spoiler review as it is quite confusing if you miss something…I missed it….)

From back in the day The ‘New’ Battlestar Galactica’ 2009/10? Don’t laugh it’s brilliant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom