Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Can't anyone be nominated for it, though? I seem to remember reading that the panel don't draw up a shortlist to pick from, although I forget the exact process.
Anyone can be nominated, there are tens of thousands able to do so. Those names are public. The committee then draw up a shortlist, which is secret for fifty years. Then it’s the announcement.

Can't anyone be nominated for it, though? I seem to remember reading that the panel don't draw up a shortlist to pick from, although I forget the exact process.

The categories of people qualified to nominate is limited, although there are probably posters here qualified to nominate. They could, if so minded nominate another poster here.

The nomination form is here.

In practice, Just about any politician, or public figure anywhere, can get someone nominated, one way or another. However, that's a long way off making the shortlist, let alone winning the prize itself.

In Trump's case, it was a particularly batshit member of a far righht party who just scraped over the reprezentation threshold in Norway's PR electoral system.

I think any member of any country's legislature can submit a nomination, so not exactly a high bar to clear.

He was nominated by a single far right member of a parliament (i think it was norway's parliament IIRC but i may be wrong).

In practice, Just about any politician, or public figure anywhere, can get someone nominated, one way or another. However, that's a long way off making the shortlist, let alone winning the prize itself.

In Trump's case, it was a particularly batshit member of a far righht party who just scraped over the reprezentation threshold in Norway's PR electoral system.

Here's the list of qualified nominators:

• Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of state
  • Members of The International Court of Justice in The Hague and The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague
  • Members of Institut de Droit International
  • Members of the Executive Committee of the international board of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
  • University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
  • Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Members of the main board of directors or its equivalent of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Current and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee (proposals by current members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after 1 February)
  • Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee

We should nominate the editor for "fostering international understanding and communication." :p

We should nominate the editor for "fostering international understanding and communication." :p

Looking at Tim's list above, I don't think we have any elected members of national assemblies (at least that i know of). Maybe we have a university professor somewhere? :hmm:

Looking at Tim's list above, I don't think we have any elected members of national assemblies (at least that i know of). Maybe we have a university professor somewhere? :hmm:

He isn't elected but Brian Paddick is a Member of the House of Lords. If it wasn't for this place he'd just be a passed-over Borough Commander, so he has a debt of honour to the editor.

Trump was nominated for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize, not this year's one, though he'll probably rage-tweet about this year's prize anyway unless his aides have drawn cartoons simple enough to explain this to him.

Fuck.. for a second my brain debated what year this is?

#pandemicbrainfog

🙁

He isn't elected but Brian Paddick is a Member of the House of Lords. If it wasn't for this place he'd just be a passed-over Borough Commander, so he has a debt of honour to the editor.
hmm...that's a very intriguing idea! :D:thumbs:
i'm one of the few still posting here who was actually here when it all kicked off, I was on all the "brian/The Commander" threads. [/old skool boast off] - or possibly the only one who has (mostly) kept the same name throughout

You were still posting under your old name in 2008!
was I?? :eek:
Well, as I have said, it was such a long time ago, I can barely recall, and tbh, I really can't be arsed trying to track back to precise dates - there are loads more important things than that to be concerned with, in my world at least
I was under the impression it was 2004 because that's when I moved to St Reatham

Well, as I have said, it was such a long time ago, I can barely recall, and tbh, I really can't be arsed trying to track back to precise dates - there are loads more important things than that to be concerned with, in my world at least
I was under the impression it was 2004 because that's when I moved to St Reatham
I checked because I only joined in 2004 and you had your old username for years after that. You're still known as that in my head :D

You shoulda changed it to Magic Grandpa ;)

Back
Top Bottom