Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Trump done today?

This doesn't strictly belong in this thread but it is pretty amazing - an insight into what is happening in the masks market in America, free market capitalism in a pandemic meaning that the US is exporting huge amounts of masks to the highest bidder whilst states can't compete because they cant show the ready cash.

'At one point he received an update that 43 million masks were available in New Jersey, in the same time-frame that federal and state leaders were saying in press conferences that they were “scouring the globe” for masks. But the masks in New Jersey, along with many million more, didn’t go to any domestic buyer. Instead, according to the broker, they were all purchased by foreign buyers.
“Most of the masks are leaving the country,” he told me.
That is not the case in countries that have cracked down on exports, he added, but as of now the U.S. is allowing many types of medical supplies to leave the country even as states and hospital systems are expressing desperate need for masks and other PPE.'

Trump has suggested the public use scarves instead of face masks as protection. Perhaps someone should suggest that the best defence is a plastic bag secured over his head. :)

Rather a different accusation to saying that medical staff are the ones stealing and reselling masks.

No - as far as I’m aware Trump hasn’t accused anyone in particular for these alleged mask thefts.

Trump was alerted to the massive discrepancy by the mask supplier and also likely Cuomo too as they’ve been in direct communication over the NY outbreaks of the virus.

No - as far as I’m aware Trump hasn’t accused anyone in particular for these alleged mask thefts.

Trump was alerted to the massive discrepancy by the mask supplier and also likely Cuomo too as they’ve been in direct communication over the NY outbreaks of the virus.

Unless you think "are they going out the back door" doesn't mean "staff are stealing the products," which is what it usually means, then yes, actually he did accuse the staff.

Unless you think "are they going out the back door" doesn't mean "staff are stealing the products," which is what it usually means, then yes, actually he did accuse the staff.

‘Going out the back door’ simply means they are being stolen.

Unless of course the masks are being taken by magical fairies once they are delivered to the NY hospitals?

‘Going out the back door’ simply means they are being stolen.

Unless of course the masks are being taken by magical fairies once they are delivered to the NY hospitals?

So if someone said that at your Amazon depot, stuff was going out the back door, you'd think they meant random theft, not accusing the staff?

Patients and visitors are stealing stuff from hospitals - we've seen that in the UK too. But not in anywhere near the numbers he's suggesting. Not even a tiny bit near.

The numbers of masks being stolen are not equal to the extra numbers of masked being used, which was what he was implying. There's a very obvious non-theft reason for hospitals needing more masks right now.

So if someone said that at your Amazon depot, stuff was going out the back door, you'd think they meant random theft, not accusing the staff?

Patients and visitors are stealing stuff from hospitals - we've seen that in the UK too. But not in anywhere near the numbers he's suggesting. Not even a tiny bit near.

The numbers of masks being stolen are not equal to the extra numbers of masked being used, which was what he was implying. There's a very obvious non-theft reason for hospitals needing more masks right now.

Then why did the mask supplier whistleblow to Trump?

And Cuomo?

Well - I did predict that this pandemic would be weaponised against Trump and now we see their first move.

877C142C-2FA3-4123-8D1B-83E38BEDE840.jpeg

Then why did the mask supplier whistleblow to Trump?

And Cuomo?

Cuomo didn't say anything about a mask whistleblower, he said that some stuff had been stolen from hospitals. That's the same as has happened in hospitals here. It doesn't mean staff are stealing supplies and it doesn't make a huge impact on supplies of masks, because patients and visitors can't get their hands on them in the numbers that are being suggested.

There is no "mask whistleblower."

You don't really think medical staff are stealing and reselling masks, do you?

Cuomo didn't say anything about a mask whistleblower, he said that some stuff had been stolen from hospitals. That's the same as has happened in hospitals here. It doesn't mean staff are stealing supplies and it doesn't make a huge impact on supplies of masks, because patients and visitors can't get their hands on them in the numbers that are being suggested.

There is no "mask whistleblower."

You don't really think medical staff are stealing and reselling masks, do you?

I didn’t say Cuomo did.

The mask supplier certainly did raise this massive uptake of masks with Trump as he was concerned of the uptake despite this pandemic, hence my use of the term ‘whistleblower’ which is appropriate imo.

Yes, the WH presser which also featured cabinet meeting with medical industry leaders.

No it didn't. It had CEOs of companies that have agreed to provide stuff, most of them not in the medical industry, all of whom plugged Trump and their products as part of the briefing.

If there was ever any mask supplier who talked to Trump then he'd be very odd to wonder why mask use in a hospital has gone up when there's an epidemic. I think there might be one other fairly obvious reason that hospitals are using more masks now, and it's not because medical staff are evil people stealing supplies.

No it didn't. It had CEOs of companies that have agreed to provide stuff, most of them not in the medical industry, all of whom plugged Trump and their products as part of the briefing.

If there was ever any mask supplier who talked to Trump then he'd be very odd to wonder why mask use in a hospital has gone up when there's an epidemic. I think there might be one other fairly obvious reason that hospitals are using more masks now, and it's not because medical staff are evil people stealing supplies.

According to Trump one of the CEO’s brought this to his attention (high volume mask discrepancies) - Trump has been repeatedly asked this in subsequent WH press conferences.

I dare say Cuomo has also mentioned this to Trump as they have been working together over the NY outbreak and Cuomo is on the record for raising missing masks - I’ve already linked this upthread.

According to Trump one of the CEO’s brought this to his attention (high volume mask discrepancies) - Trump has been repeatedly asked this in subsequent WH press conferences.

I dare say Cuomo has also mentioned this to Trump as they have been working together over the NY outbreak and Cuomo is on the record for raising missing masks - I’ve already linked this upthread.

That means it's a lie.

And we've talked about the Cuomo comment several times. He was not saying what Trump is saying.

Do you think medical staff are stealing masks?

No, he was very - some might say uncharacteristically - careful not to accuse anyone in particular. Indeed, he was pretty specific about exactly who he was not accusing. Pointedly so.

I see that the upper number of deaths in Trump's stated win zone is now 240,000
And yet China with its high density conurbation's ,mass public transport, 4 times the population and no 6 weeks advance preparation time are well on the downward curve and may come in with less than 5000 attributable deaths.
Coronavirus originated in China so they hit their peak first, so naturally will be the first to see a downward curve which appears as to how this virus pans out.
errr quite ...hence the 6 weeks
Considerable difference in the numbers dont you think ? , with all the US advantages too !

That means it's a lie.

And we've talked about the Cuomo comment several times. He was not saying what Trump is saying.

Do you think medical staff are stealing masks?

Ah, but of course :rolleyes:

Is Cuomo lying? Is the CEO lying?

I’m not making any accusations of who specifically may be stealing massive volumes of face masks - but if they are indeed ‘going out the back door’ then I hope whoever is involved gets nabbed as profiteering via theft with equipment meant for vital medical staff is unconscionable.

Ah, but of course :rolleyes:

Is Cuomo lying? Is the CEO lying?

I’m not making any accusations of who specifically may be stealing massive volumes of face masks - but if they are indeed ‘going out the back door’ then I hope whoever is involved gets nabbed as profiteering via theft with equipment meant for vital medical staff is unconscionable.

Cuomo is not saying what you're claiming he's saying. I think this is the fifth time I've said that now. You don't even know who the CEO is, only what Trump said. Trump lies all the time.

And it would have to be medical staff in the numbers that are being alleged. That is what Trump was alleging with his phrasing. That's what his phrasing means. He was accusing medical staff of stealing, and you are defending that.

The ones who are profiteering are the CEOs that Trump brought out on stage to big up their companies and himself. They are literally being handed major contracts, and using coronavirus briefings to big up themselves and their companies. There couldn't be more blatant profteering.

But oh no, it must be that that increase in mask use is down to theft, not people using masks more in an epidemic. :facepalm:

Cuomo is not saying what you're claiming he's saying. I think this is the fifth time I've said that now. You don't even know who the CEO is, only what Trump said. Trump lies all the time.

And it would have to be medical staff in the numbers that are being alleged. That is what Trump was alleging with his phrasing. That's what his phrasing means. He was accusing medical staff of stealing, and you are defending that.

The ones who are profiteering are the CEOs that Trump brought out on stage to big up their companies and himself. They are literally being handed major contracts, and using coronavirus briefings to big up themselves and their companies. There couldn't be more blatant profteering.

But oh no, it must be that that increase in mask use is down to theft, not people using masks more in an epidemic. :facepalm:

Im not defending Trump for accusing medical staff of theft because Trump hasn’t said that whatsoever, you’ve simply assumed this yourself or from some opinion piece news article perhaps.

This is really pretty basic stuff to comprehend:

CEO of mask supplier alerts Trump to massive uptake in masks to NY hospitals, even when taking into account the spike of the pandemic in that district.

Governor Cuomo has already expressed concerns of mask theft.

Trump brings this up in a WH presser.

The real story here is where the fk are hundreds of thousands of face masks going if not used by medical staff? Not making this into another Trump clickbait story - but maybe that’s the way these type of stories are spun by anti Trump media catering to a specific audience that laps up their daily hit of Trump outrage.

Back
Top Bottom