Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Salted liquorice is one of the most wonderful things on earth. Sweet liquorice, OK, but all sweet things without chocolate are ultimately disappointing.

Licorice ice cream

The initial taste was of TCP but I kept going. By half way down it was getting better but not enough.

Maybe it's a Danish thing.
Personally, I hate licorice flavour. But a really popular old fashioned ice cream flavour back in Canada was "Tiger Tail", which was orange and licorice ice creams striped through each other. My missus loved it when we were there.

Personally, I hate licorice flavour. But a really popular old fashioned ice cream flavour back in Canada was "Tiger Tail", which was orange and licorice ice creams striped through each other. My missus loved it when we were there.

Normally I love licorice. Maybe what I'm used to is artificial licorice flavour rather than actual licorice .

It does seem to be everywhere here. Licorice tea, licorice and raspberry lollies etc

I had a blood pressure scare last year which I'm almost certain had absolutely nothing to do with sucking on licorice root - apparently you have to consume a massive amount.

Tofu. Still can't think about it without feeling nauseous.
Has to be cut into cubes and deep fried before using. This rescues the dreadful texture and then it can absorb some taste from whatever sauce you cook it in.
Better still try 'mock duck' if you've never had it. You can find it in Chinese food shops in tins, it's much better than tofu.
It's wheat gluten (and not much else) so a good source of protein.
wuchung-vegetarian-mock-duck-280g.jpg

Last edited:
Better still try 'mock duck' if you've never had it. You can find it in Chinese food shops in tins, it's much better than tofu.
It's wheat gluten (and not much else) so a good source of protein.

ASDA broke my heart when they stopped stocking Granovita mock duck, it had no dodgy additives and was £1.75 for a good sized tin. I haven't seen any in my local Asian supermarket and Marigold's one is £££.

ASDA broke my heart when they stopped stocking Granovita mock duck, it had no dodgy additives and was £1.75 for a good sized tin. I haven't seen any in my local Asian supermarket and Marigold's one is £££.
I've not had it in years, not since living in Norwich, it's always been pricey.
Out in the sticks my only chance would be the local wholefood shop but they're the kind of people who charge £5 for a kg of gram flour so I never go in there.

Not in my local ASDA, apparently. Also, £2.90 is an insane price jump :( Actually, now I can't even see Marigold's Mo-Du, so when I finish the last tin there will be TEARS.
A lot of good vegan foods have disappeared from shops lately (RIP Patifu).
Yeah but there's a dozen types of highly processed fake bacon to choose from these days.
If you want shitty fake ham at £28 kg you're golden.

Yeah but there's a dozen types of highly processed fake bacon to choose from these days.
If you want shitty fake ham at £28 kg you're golden.

I kno, right. It's dire. I've gone so far as to catalogue "normal" (non-UTP) vegan convenience foods and there aren't many. Why there's only one type of simple tofu sausage on the market (for the princely sum of £6), beggars belief.

I kno, right. It's dire. I've gone so far as to catalogue "normal" (non-UTP) vegan convenience foods and there aren't many. Why there's only one type of simple tofu sausage on the market (for the princely sum of £6), beggars belief.
Original Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce £1.50
Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce without the anchovies £6.00

We made salt and pepper cuttlefish last night. Cleaning the fish was smelly to say the least but the cuttlefish was incredible. It was cheap too, only £4,40 for ¾kg. We kept the bone for my nieces budgie.

We will be making it again.

Here's how to prepare the bone so it's clean, bacteria free, and safe for birds :)

I’ve bought a massive jar of (pickled? brined?) herring from LIDL Polish week. Can anyone tell me how the fuck I should eat it?

Also, can I store it? I think the jar says eat immediately or within a day or so but I don’t believe it and there’s no way I’m eating that much herring that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom