Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I mean maybe you just don't like cauli in any format (I'm like that with some foods, I think most of us have some sort of dislikes)

But you could roast it in the oven or air fryer just with a wee brush of oil and some spices - ground cumin and coriander, some chilli flakes perhaps, bit of turmeric, or just a basic curry powder type mix.

Really though if you don't like it and that doesn't appeal without a ton of cheese, then just give it a swerve - it sounds like you enjoy most vegetables so it's not going to leave a gap in your nutrition if you avoid cauli.
Can't stand the stuff, except truly and thoroughly roasted. And then it's heavenly for some reason. Probably the spices more than the vegetable.
Actually, I take that back. I don't mind at all the battered and deep fried cauli "wings" either. But that's also smothered in sauce.

Cauliflower is a bit pointless in the great scheme of things as it doesn't taste of anything. It's OK in and of itself but nothing to write home about - I don't think I've bought one in decades.
Cream of cauliflower soup is delicious (if you don't overcook it) and cauliflower cheese is a vital part of any roast. In fact, cauliflower cheese is in my top ten favourite dishes.

I wonder whether it's a genetic thing, like sprouts taste bitter to some people or summat.
I mean I love cauliflower, it's one of my favourite veggies, it has a lovely nutty flavour and I will happily eat it just steamed or even raw. That is enhanced if roasted (and the last time I did cauli cheese I roasted the cauli a bit first and it was absolutely divine).
N can't stand cauli, others say it has no flavour, I just don't get either of those positions tbh.
Just want to add to the above, cauli in curry - nothing quite like an aloo gobi.

I've never understood why people single out individual stages on the cabbage-cauliflower-sprouts-broccoli hierarchy for particular hatred. They're all the same thing, after all; they just get better as you ascend the scale. Either you like them or you don't.

(Others may have a different order, and I'd defend to the death their right to be wrong.)

Thinking about it, cauliflower and sprouts, though rather different, have a fair claim to a dead heat.

I've never understood why people single out individual stages on the cabbage-cauliflower-sprouts-broccoli hierarchy for particular hatred. They're all the same thing, after all; they just get better as you ascend the scale. Either you like them or you don't.

(Others may have a different order, and I'd defend to the death their right to be wrong.)

Bell peppers, cayenne, thai peppers and jalapenos are all the same species (Capsicum annuum) but that doesn't mean they contain the same levels of various aromatic compounds and other chemicals that relate to smell, flavour, bitterness, heat etc. and they don't taste the same.
Coriander root, leaf, flowers and seeds can all come from the same plant, yet taste different.
Not sure what point you're trying to make! :D

Of course they don't taste the same, but if you like or dislike one, it's more likely that you feel the same about all of them, because there's a basic kinship.

Nobody brought up parsnips, which rather ruin my point, because to my mind they're not only completely different from other brassicas, but only saved from being the worst vegetable ever by the existence of okra. Someone is probably tut-tutting as I type.

Of course they don't taste the same, but if you like or dislike one, it's more likely that you feel the same about all of them, because there's a basic kinship.

Nobody brought up parsnips, which rather ruin my point, because to my mind they're not only completely different from other brassicas, but only saved from being the worst vegetable ever by the existence of okra. Someone is probably tut-tutting as I type.
Except that if one has a genetic deviation that makes one taste bitterness in brussels sprouts instead of sweet nutty goodness, that's related to a particular compound that is in high quantity in brussels sprouts but isn't in broccoli, and people with that genetic difference often enjoy broccoli.

I wonder whether it's a genetic thing, like sprouts taste bitter to some people or summat.
I mean I love cauliflower, it's one of my favourite veggies, it has a lovely nutty flavour and I will happily eat it just steamed or even raw. That is enhanced if roasted (and the last time I did cauli cheese I roasted the cauli a bit first and it was absolutely divine).
N can't stand cauli, others say it has no flavour, I just don't get either of those positions tbh.
Just want to add to the above, cauli in curry - nothing quite like an aloo gobi.
Partly the fact that it's one of the easier veg to fuck up cooking, I reckon.

I like cauliflower myself but it's definitely not that difficult to make it taste either awful or of nothing.

I meant turnips. I have a cold.
That makes more sense! Leaving aside the neep/swede debate for a minute though, both produce nice brassica-y greens that can also be eaten and there's other stuff like broccoli raab which is actually more closely related to white turnips than standard broccoli.

I prescribe a warming bowl of turnip soup :)

(Hope you feel better soon, I'm in similar state myself).
It wasn't a real cold. I was quoting Monty Python, where someone apologises for some idiocy that has no relationship to their health status by saying they have a cold. If I weren't so senile, I might even remember where exactly.

The internet isn't senile, so it's John Cleese in the Dead Parrot sketch, when he initially addresses Palin as 'miss'.

Roast parsnips are a firm favourite with me.
Curried parsnip soup is also a thing of beauty.

Also since swede has been raised, I want to say how much I love that too - roasted, or just boiled and mashed with butter and a shit load of pepper.

Roast parsnips are a firm favourite with me.
Curried parsnip soup is also a thing of beauty.

Also since swede has been raised, I want to say how much I love that too - roasted, or just boiled and mashed with butter and a shit load of pepper.
I think it really helps to grate a load of carrot into the swede for it's last couple of minutes on the stove.
Better colour and flavour.

So many threads in suburban (and I think general too) go through periods devoted to vegetable love/hate discussions :D

I have been hearing adverts for something cheez-hit today

Some sort of cheese based baked snack like a crisp I think

I have been hearing adverts for something cheez-hit today

Some sort of cheese based baked snack like a crisp I think

They started appearing a few months back and I guessed they were one of those official 'American imports' like Kellogg's Pop Tarts or Libby's canned pumpkin that magically cost way more money than common imports that have made a similar journey like bananas or oranges, but they're everywhere now.

They started appearing a few months back and I guessed they were one of those official 'American imports' like Kellogg's Pop Tarts or Libby's canned pumpkin that magically cost way more money than common imports that have made a similar journey like bananas or oranges, but they're everywhere now.
Canned pumpkin without added sugar or spices is actually incredibly useful if you have a dog or cat with the shits due to a non pathological digestive imbalance - sorts it right out, and for that reason if it's available then I'm pleased to hear that.

I'm not knocking US food stuffs ffs - I'm a big fan of American food (minus the fast food shit) and I'd like to see more of it here - only the fact that it usually gets placed in special sections of stores with a massive markup that doesn't seem to apply to comparable stuff from elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom