Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Someone elsewhere mentioned mint sauce, but as my diet is fairly bland vegetables I wonder what it might go with - I know people make raita with soya yoghurt but that's to compliment spicy food ...
Perhaps when I occasionally start cooking in ways other than throwing things in a pan - nut roasts etc ...

Someone elsewhere mentioned mint sauce, but as my diet is fairly bland vegetables I wonder what it might go with - I know people make raita with soya yoghurt but that's to compliment spicy food ...
Perhaps when I occasionally start cooking in ways other than throwing things in a pan - nut roasts etc ...
Pea, and mint fritters with a spicy peanut sauce.
Mmmm.
Can add haloumi if you eat dairy.

Last edited:
Lots of recipes out there, this one looks as good as any.
I'd probably use gram flour instead of wheat flour but wheat is fine, you could leave the egg out if using gram flour just add a couple of spoons of water to make a batter.
For the animal eaters out there, substitute ham for the haloumi/feta.

Today I had Bibeleskaes which is basically cold, creamy cheese and it's served topped with parsley and garlic with bits and pieces you can dunk in it. It was great!

Screenshot_2024-09-28-18-03-13-788_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Not my pic but mine was very similar but it had a biiiiig slice of ham on the side, salady bits, some munster cheese and a bowl filled with sauted potatoes.

Really nice, would eat again!

Aldi had cauliflower on offer.. I love almost anything cruciferous, but once again the anaemic undifferentiated meristem failed to light my fire...
It will probably have to wait until I'm much skinnier and can afford to increase caloric density with airfrying and fake cheese...
If you find it too bland cooked you can try using it raw, either in tiny florets or sliced really thinly in a lemony or mustardy dressing either on its own or to add crunch to a spinach salad or to tone things down a bit if you bought mooli or radishes that turned out to be too peppery to eat on their own.

If you find it too bland cooked you can try using it raw, either in tiny florets or sliced really thinly in a lemony or mustardy dressing either on its own or to add crunch to a spinach salad or to tone things down a bit if you bought mooli or radishes that turned out to be too peppery to eat on their own.
yes I eat a lot of pickled veggies - this thread had me thinking I might see what the Polish shop has when I next visit - I think I looked up cauliflower on Cronometer and I think it is richer in some things than sprouts, broccoli or kale ...
I used to dabble in picallili ...

Last edited:
Ovaltine chocolate. I didn't realise Ovaltine/ovomaltine was invented in Switzerland and they are mad for it.

IMG_20240930_144053.jpg

I quite like it now and then and got a bar of dark chocolate with crunchy Ovaltine in it. It's pretty tasty

IMG_20240930_142008.jpg
IMG_20240930_185326.jpg

Would buy again. If I ever go back to Switzerland :hmm: wiki has this as a slogan used in 2001

"With Ovomaltine, it doesn’t get better, but it does for longer!”

:D

Ovaltine chocolate. I didn't realise Ovaltine/ovomaltine was invented in Switzerland and they are mad for it.

View attachment 444844

I quite like it now and then and got a bar of dark chocolate with crunchy Ovaltine in it. It's pretty tasty

View attachment 444845
Have you tried sprinkling the powder on buttered bread or buttered toast? It's quite nice (not in your picture but they do a spread too which is less messy than the sprinkle on version)

(decathlon often has the ovomaltine bars if you are ever on the lookout for them in the UK)

yes I eat a lot of pickled veggies - this thread had me thinking I might see what the Polish shop has when I next visit - I think I looked up cauliflower on Cronometer and I think it is richer in some things than sprouts, broccoli or kale ...
I used to dabble in picallili ...
Cauliflower pickles nowhere to be found either in the Polish shop or Aldi ..
Oh well ... maybe one day ...
In the meantime I'm hoping red cabbage turns up in Aldi soon - at the moment through the week I have sprouts, kale and broccoli...

I bought some mint sauce to play with and veganified it ..

PXL_20241004_113259914.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom