Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

My magnolia's delivered and in campanula :) . Thanks again for your help - got it from Burncoose and repotted it in a bit of a bigger (terracotta) pot and sank it into the ground. Got some bubblewrap over the base at the moment but I'll change that for some straw for the frost protection.

I did only just read though that they don't flower for 10 years :eek: . Still really pleased with it though, looks really healthy with some nice big buds on it. ❤️ I measured the ground again and I think it'll be fine.

Never spent so much on a plant :eek: , must phone my sis and thank her for the token.

Um, I can't actually see what that might be dessiato. My eyes are rubbish. It looks a bit like a slightly neglected box, but could as easily be a hebe, a small leaved euonymous or even an ilex crenata. However, I can say it isn't a conifer but is a broadleaf evergreen shrub and, as such, the best time for pruning is not just yet. Hang on until just before new buds are swelling - around late March/April. I A better identification would really be helpful (you are quite right to hold off the secateurs till then). Incidentally, why do you want to prune it? Always good to have a plan.
It's starting to grow across the main path, and is causing a bit of obstruction.

Looks like a Hebe. dessiato could you get a closer pic please.
Unfortunately not at this time. I'm not at the house.

starting to grow across the main path, and is causing a bit of obstruction.
I've got 2 Hebes either side of my path that did the same. I got the hedge trimmer on them on their sides. If it is Hebe, the bees love the little flowers, mine are completely covered in summer with them.

Because my F-I-L is partially sighted, and limited mobility, we're going to need to cut the bush back fairly soon.

What does a yew tree smell like?
Seeds, arils, leaves, and wood emit a disagreeable, fetid odour when bruised or crushed. Although T. taxifolia does well in cultivation, it is critically imperiled in the wild and is considered an endangered species.

How about this...
top-point-trees.jpg

How about this...

Well if it is, GE have mislabelled it ...

I'm pretty certain it isn't actually a conifer at all ..

Atlantic_White_Cypress_Chatsworth_NJ_1.jpg

O, I wonder if it's one of those weird southern hemisphere conifer substitutions such as a podocarpus. Although I am currently deep in a Chilean love affair, I don't have anything like enough experience to confidently offer a certain ID.@gentlegreen. Looks like a fleshy money puzzle (araucania)...but, as always, v.likely I am talking shit.

two sheds - surely not suggesting you may have to wait 10 year for a bloom! For sure, trees and shrubs which are close to the species will often take ages - 30 years for some citrus...but nearly all commercial plants have been bred with a degree of precosity so I would be astounded if you were not seeing buds in the next coupla years.

I think a hebe seems the most likely,, dessiato looking at it's habit. Could you, as a rough compromise, tie the plant back. If you poke a couple of stout canes on either side, you can run a hammock of twine between the posts which will hold the hebe away from the path without breaking the stems or damaging the foliage. It is very risky, cutting any evergreen during the coldest months of winter...and hebes, while tough, can indeed succumb to a winter fungus and cark almost overnight. Waiting until it starts to show new fresh growth ( April in Scotland) is really what I recommend...when you can remove entire branches, from the base...as well as trimming out some of the top growth.

Can anyone identify these seed pods please? And how likely I might actually be able to grow anything from them. They've been drying out on my windowsill for months.

The first came from a tree in a park in london. 20220227_103435.jpg20220227_103419.jpgThe second from a bush in a local park. If I'm remembering right, when it was in bloom it had orange spiky flowers.

The seeds in the second one might benefit from a gentle roughing up with sandpaper .. just enough so moisture can find its way in ... perhaps do one or two like that...

couple here: I think this one's a weed (yellow flower?) looks like a clover but don't think it is
P1020111.JPG
these bulbs/rhyzomes? I planted them a couple of months ago have totally forgotten what they are:
P1020112.JPG

yes that looks like them, ta :)

I've been leaving them on the basis that I don't like killing things I don't know the name of but they do look infesty. I'll perhaps leave them round the outside of the garden since I do get orange tips around here.

Back
Top Bottom