Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I do not recall planting either but they look a bit ?nice to be random intruders.

They could of course both be horror weeds that make you think they look nice at first then you can never get rid of them....

I've a feeling the other plant may be in the malvacea - I vaguely remember something like it coming up in a butterfly mixture ...

That looks like a campanula I have. Telham beauty? Might be to small, so not sure, and I'm out so I can't check. Hope I've been of help :D
Gaaaa I'm not sure how I feel about campanula. The big bells are on but the non stop creeping horror weed is not July friend.

Is it evergreen do you know? Looks a bit like a large-leaved cotoneaster (which is indeed a low-growing shrub thing - tiny white flower clusters followed by bright red berries).
No idea. It was my friends neighbour, I used to pot stuff up for him when I had an abundance of seedlings. He passed away and I was given 3 of his pots. Going to leave it and put some annuals in, doesn't look like a rampant grower.

Ah, got a bit lost but the littlw white and blue flowers are vaccaria Callie (an annual) . I have it in one of my pots and generally grow it most years. A nice replacement for gypsophila in it's airy daintiness The phacelia (aka scorpionweed) has already been correctly identified. Now back to look at the others.
I would agree that a cotoneaster such as c.lacteus ...or, (looking at the woody stem) chaenomeles.

I don't think it will until next year, Calamity1971. It probably won't be until it does, that we can definitely identify it...but, on balance, I would go with a flowering quince more than a cotoneaster and, with any luck, you will have a lovely cultivar (I have 'Crimson and Gold'...which I love, and 'Geisha Girl' which I am less keen on).

Can anyone tell me what this is? Before you say, it’s NOT knotweed, it’s very woody and has furry stems.

Attachments

• 880CA5C9-2F11-4F38-89A3-815181D26A5D.jpeg
    880CA5C9-2F11-4F38-89A3-815181D26A5D.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 18
  • EFF5D106-14FD-463A-B13E-51694618DA39.jpeg
    EFF5D106-14FD-463A-B13E-51694618DA39.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 19
Doesn't look like japanese knotweed - have you clearer photo of leaves?

The fastest Japanese knotweed growth is during the spring. New shoots that emerge are red/purple and can look like asparagus spears. The leaves are normally rolled up and dark green or red in colour. In late spring, canes can reach up to 3 metres (10 feet) high.

Doesn't look like japanese knotweed - have you clearer photo of leaves?
It was wrongly identified as knotweed in a friends garden who was obviously concerned but I’ve looked and it isn’t. The leaves are similar but the stems are woody and furry. Looks like it might be a climber as it’s putting out climber type things. Her mum is housebound and the guy that looks after garden is refusing to touch it as he’s convinced it’s knotweed, even tho I know it’s not id I refer to tell him what it is so he’s sure!

Back
Top Bottom