Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I have some without spots - a plain leaved pulmonaria longifolia...and also one which has almost silver foliage - p.'Diana Clare'. (also a narrow leaved longifolia) I am not desperately fond of them, but yep, they are good bee plants and look well with other spring ephemerals such as mertensia, omphalodes, brunnera and spring gentians. Prolifically flowering at the moment, I have what I consider the most truly blue flower of them all - the fantastically coloured lithodora 'Grace Ward'.
I like to try something new from seed every year...and a while ago, I stumbled upon psysochlaina orientalis, which also looks good with the borage-y types flowering just now. Another unknown was the Tibetan gentian. I was overjoyed when my seeds germinated...but deeply disappointed that the resulting flowers were far from the heartbreakingly lovely blues normally associated with gentians. Instead, I got a dull cream.

Last edited:
This is a weed isn't it?
I don't remember planting anything next to my clematis. And it looks a bit on the weedy side.
Hairy leaves and stalk.
IMG_20210515_200225.jpgIMG_20210515_200235.jpg

I did wonder if it was one of the willowherbs. My campions are a bit more rosette-like until just before they flower
On a (vaguely) related point, I am paying the price for re-using my potting mix, especially from germination fails from last year and having the usual labelling fails. (the collie up to her usual label-stealing tricks)...with loads of seedlings appearing willy-nilly in my current seedling pots. O, no worries, (I thought) I will recognise them...except there are dozens of potential contenders, all with lance shaped, opposite leaves. Peach leaved campanula, calendulas, veronicas, penstemons, sweetwilliam, gaura, silene, vaccaria, gypsophila, forgotten seeds from last year, who bloody knows?

Last edited:
I did wonder if it was one of the willowherbs. My campions are a bit more rosette-like until just before they flower
On a (vaguely) related point, I am paying the price for re-using my potting mix, especially from germination fails from last year and having the usual labelling fails. (the collie up to her usual label-stealing tricks)...with dozens of seedlings appearing willy-nilly in my current seedling pots. O, no worries, (I thought) I will recognise them...except there are dozens of potential contenders, all with lance shaped, opposite leaves. Peach leaved campanula, calendulas, veronicas, penstemons, sweetwilliam, gaura, silene, vaccaria, gypsophila, forgotten seeds from last year, who bloody knows?
I realised the other day that the mixed salad leaves in a work garden's veg bed are actually mostly just self-seeded stuff from their bloody wildflower meadow that's germinated in a nice neat row coz I was carefully weeding around it :facepalm:

I did think the bottom leaves looked like willowherb but the top ones didn't so much. I'm not good at identifying plants though.

Me neither...at least on a screen, two sheds. Friday morning always started with 'idents' at college...which, invariably meant bare twigs, conifers or grasses (the bastards) It is much easier doing these with more context (size and scale,feel, smell, location and habitat) so I don't mind being a bit rubbish on a PC.

Last edited:
Haven't we all ripped out foxgloves thinking they were green alkanet? I have lovingly (and mistakenly) tended numerous herbs (including rosabay willowherb) although I have had a long and difficult experience of growing the white willowherb (chamaerion album).I managed a solitary seedling after several years of frustrating fails.

You should see the photos the RHS has been using for idents since they redid the course for covid campanula. Have literally had a tutor stood in the classroom all but tell us the answer with proper blatant hints and crossword type help (six letters, begins with s), they're that shit.

O that's grim, iona . When I did the course (2004), I had an absolutely brilliant tutor who had worked his whole life in horticulture, starting out as a contract grafter at 14. He had been teaching for 40 years or so and just knew...everything. He was retired, but the college pleaded with him (every year) to stay to do the RHS course (and he loved it). He taught the first year of advanced but had to finally stop during the second year...and by then, FE was in all kinds of trouble, there were no tutors to be had, (all sorts of people were drafted in - I did a course with a retired groundskeeper (which I surprisingly loved) but by the third level (4th year) I had to go 30odd miles to Shuttleworth. No public transport but I managed to get a lift with another student on my course. Halfway through the second year, they also had to abandon the course completely. I could, I suppose, have done the 4th level at a different college, but that would have been another 2 years and I had no way of getting to Capel Manor and worse, I would have had to pay heaps of money (I did the gen cert, advanced and dip.hort for free). I was even asked to teach the general certificate myself (although ducked out of that because criminal records..., but I was paid to manage the greenhouse).I honestly can't imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be, doing this course under the current conditions. It really is the worst luck for it to have been while you were doing the course, iona.

O that's grim, iona . When I did the course (2004), I had an absolutely brilliant tutor who had worked his whole life in horticulture, starting out as a contract grafter at 14. He had been teaching for 40 years or so and just knew...everything. He was retired, but the college pleaded with him (every year) to stay to do the RHS course (and he loved it). He taught the first year of advanced but had to finally stop during the second year...and by then, FE was in all kinds of trouble, there were no tutors to be had, (all sorts of people were drafted in - I did a course with a retired groundskeeper (which I surprisingly loved) but by the third year, I had to go 30odd miles to Shuttleworth. No public tyransport but I managed to get a lift with another student on my course. Halfway through the second year, they also had to abandon the course completely. I could, I suppose, have done the 4th level, but that would have been another 2 years and I had no way of getting to Capel Manor and worse, I would have had to pay heaps of money (I did the gen cert, advanced and dip.hort for free). I was even asked to teach the general certificate myself (although ducked out of that because criminal records..., but I was paid to manage the greenhouse).I honestly can't imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be, doing this course under the current conditions. It really is the worst luck for it to have been while you were doing the course, iona.
Yeah I think they were kind of making up as they went along for most of last year till they could eventually bodge something together, so it's been weird. Some of the pro formas just make no sense or repeat questions but want different answers, even the RHS person who'd written one question had no idea what it meant when one of our tutors asked her. Got a load of adapted ident lists to relearn halfway through the year and pro formas are done as homework now rather than in class, which I hadn't planned for time-wise. They just assume everyone has a garden too so lots of running around trying to organise for people to collect compost, seed trays etc from college and talk of meeting up in people's front gardens / local parks to get photos for evidence of various tasks, before we went back to face-to-face teaching.

I'm probably going to ask to restart the course in the autumn tbh, even if they're still doing the new course at least they (hopefully) won't chuck it all out the window and start again halfway through a second time.

I do think prunus is on the button though. You gave me a clue two sheds, mentioning the different (stemless) upper leaves. (made me look a bit harder). Whilst I am happy to ramble on at length, I should put up a disclaimer for my dire identification skills.

I like a campion too. I have had one solitary white bladder campion (silene vulgaris) appear in my gravel garden, for the last 3 years. Unlike the rampant red campion or pink soapwort (S.dioica, s.officinalis), this is nicely well behaved.

This was an interesting little article today - a plant in British hedgrows related to the Titan Arum (the giant smelly thing). Has a similar method of temporarily trapping insects to ensure pollination.

5760.jpg

Back
Top Bottom