Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

i think the leaves are more simple/less lobed than that, and the berries look to be evenly distributed, rather than bunches (panicles?). if i ever remember to take a camera/phone with me i'll try to get a better pic :thumbs:
Could be one of the golden- berried crabs such as Golden Hornet. Was the blossom white? Apart from that (and the viburnum), can only think of pyracantha, sorbus and the orange-y sea buckthorn...O and prunus cerasifera (mirabelle plums) and a quite rare willow leaved cotoneaster.

Last edited:
yes, it was, big blousy blossoms
Ah, that narrows it down quite a bit so I would be looking at flowering crabapples. There is one called Golden Raindrops which has fairly small, simple leaves. I have a few native crabs in my wood (malus sylvestris) which, thinking about it, has yellowish/greenish fruits....as well as a few with more exotic lineages. Try to get a hold of some of the fruit, Bob. The ornamental crabs make lovely trees and can be used for bonsai work. Flowering cherries don't really make my heart flutter (apart from our gean cherries - prunus avium) but the crabs are a different proposition, having such a wide range of species in their breeding.

We still do have loads of elms round here but they all die off when they hit 20 ft or so. They have really strange bark, really wrinkled which I thought was disease but they're apparently supposed to be like that :eek:

I loved elms :( Majestic tree huge they were and offset at the top remember them from the 70s.

I got four or five "disease resistant" elms from a Scottish bloke. They look ok so far but tallest is still only 10 ft high so I can only hope 🤞

Ah, that narrows it down quite a bit so I would be looking at flowering crabapples.
i think this could be it :) i got verrrry stuck in the small/far away thing :D

and i guess it's rooted in the first branch of the tree like a bonsai :cool: we have a load of tree stumps that are sprouting other flowering/fruiting things in that bit of the park - that would be a deliberate choice then? i love it :cool:

IMG_20200828_104256516.jpg

Sorry for the terrible picture, anyone know what this is? Closest I can find is grass of Parnassus but I'm not sure. It was at the bottom of Schiehallion in Perthshire, where incidentally there was also loads of eyebright!

This mystery tree in my front garden is presumably some sort of prunus.
I crushed a leaf and got a delightful hit of almond / cyanide.
I spotted another one growing out of a wall down the road, so I'm guessing it could be bird-sown rather than any cherry pits that ended up out there ..

mysteryprunus.jpg

Last edited:
Parnassus was the nickname given to the wooden clad "demountable" that was the sixth form "common room / tutor rooms" at my first secondary school (before it transmuted into a comprehensive).
I always wondered what it was named after ...

I noticed this plant growing here maybe 20 years ago and assumed it had been lost because it was initially clambering over this house's heating flue.

I'm amazed it has been so successful as it's fairly poisonous and is at a busy part of the Bristol to Bath railway path.
Perhaps even more amazing is that I only just noticed how well it's done this year after 3 months of cycling past it !
Perhaps it shows how attentive I am as a cyclist at quite a complicated junction.

I know what it is and it's one I look out for because it's the sole UK native member of a commercially important family of fruiting plants. I have just been reminded that a second plant with the same name is in an entirely different family.

brionymania.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely thread .

I was walking along the canal towpath and saw this, any idea what it is? I'm no naturalist so if it's something super-obvious that I should know, then sorry.

IMG_20210314_141829.jpg

Right on cue, the street cleaner is hacking down my unofficial pavement garden at the base of my garden wall.
I will sow some more verbena bonariensis seeds later ...

What is this I accidentallied the other day, please? Someone left her in a bin bag on the pavement with a sign that just said her name was Hyacinth and she needed a new home, so obvs I had to rescue her :rolleyes:
IMG-20210327-135219.jpg

Back
Top Bottom