Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Three years after encountering reseda lutea "dyer's weld" for the first time - in the cabbage family, like woad, (but used as a yellow dye, and in combination you get Lincoln green ..) - and a load of it has sprung up on a dry bank outside an office development near where I work.
I'm growing its garden relative "mignonette" though it's not managing to compete with my industrial quantity of nicotianas, my brugmansia and trachelospermum. Next time the neighbours are out, I'll pop next door and get my nose up close and personal ...

I wonder if the wild plant is loose in the area because of its industrial uses - like teasels are ...

dyer's weld.jpg

I foolishly told my crafty colleague and she wants me to plunder them :(
I'll leave plenty of leaves in case they want to go perennial.

To be fair, I suspect I'm the only one who appreciates them and they'll likely get strimmed at some point ...

yes that's much better photo and looks like - spikey little leaves, ever so sweet little flowers :)

mine was in a valley with high levels of heavy metal concentration so poor soil, with a lot of thrift around that also thrives on coastlines with salty soil that other plants don't do well on.

I'm guessing these are wild lettuce ...

lettuce.jpg

And wild chicory - in this instance not deliberately planted ? Though the flowers are pretty ..

chicoryleaves.jpg

I've had a scan into my Keble Martin ...

Plate 64 - Euphrasia brevipila , commonly known as Short-haired Eyebright.

Yep similarly I went and had a look and there were no lilac streaks as I got closer and closer and then oooh lilic streaks. Really good spot :thumbs:

I miss my Keeble Martin - I've bought at least three copies and lost all of them somehow I don't really understand. Unless my last copy is hiding somewhere.

I bought my hardback copy of K-M as a student in the mid - 1970s, on the advice of a geography / ecology lecturer.

The binding is beginning to suffer a little, but I don't take it in the field these days. I've a couple of "pocket" floras for expeditions, and I take pictures for the ones I really can't recognise.

I miss my Keeble Martin - I've bought at least three copies and lost all of them somehow I don't really understand. Unless my last copy is hiding somewhere.
I keep one in my horsebox and one at home (which I cannot find). My eldest 'borrowed' one .
and I gave a copy to daughter...so that's at least 4 copies which have passed through my hands. Francis Rose has a decent publication (The Wild Flower Key) which, similarly to KM, lists plants by family...but in truth, KM is really the unrivalled one for all idents.

I collect and use eyebright for my collie (which is why it was so tantalisingly familiar...

Since getting a smart phone, I have tried various identification apps...all hopeless, complete waste of time. Plant This didn't even recognise geranium wallichianum 'Rozanne' - surely the most photographed and easily identifiable hardy geranium ever...coming up with g.sylvaticum, even g.sanguineum (!)...and if you put in a plant which veers ever so slightly from the common top100 plants (such as calceolaria mexicana)...absolutely useless.

Reseda lutea produces a shitload of ripe-looking seed - even with the seed pods still green.
I may have to seek out some waste ground near where I work to deliberately infest in case my colleague takes a liking to it...
I went next door while my neighbours were out and stuck its supposed fragrant cousin - reseda odorata up my nose and couldn't detect anything ...

weldhanging.jpg

weldseesd.jpg

:(

So I responsibly harvest some off each of the plants on Friday and cycling home this evening I see they've mown the lot :mad:
I could have harvested 10 times as much as I did ...

I'm definitely going to have to seed the storm drainage ditch opposite ...

Back
Top Bottom