Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Stunning plant , looked on a few sights and they're quoting 15 quid! Has it popped up in you're garden or out and about?
In a community herbaceous border in the local park.
I think lobelias would come first on my list, but it would be very nice to have as a "weed" ...though it's a new planting seen in bright sunlight. A decent size patch would be rather impressive.

Last edited:
Yes, I also think it is a hybrid poplar - probably something like 'Serotina' a cross between the American p.deltoides x our native black polar p.nigra. I have a poplar wood - actually one of the last remaining old Bryant & May plantations from the 50ss. I knew next to nothing about them (apart from the Lombardy poplars used for windbreaks) but have become something of a poplar fan. They are incredibly fast growing - a couple of metres a year - and have often been considered as weed trees (obviously I disagree).

I went through all the trees on the woodland trust website but passed over black poplar because the leaves they pictured looked too pointy, but I don't think they've chosen the best example.

I have a poplar wood - actually one of the last remaining old Bryant & May plantations from the 50s
As you do :)
Well that's something I've learned today. I may suggest that to my brother when he eventually has to get the poplars on his paddock pruned.
My first thing was to see what edible fungi would grow on them.
He actually rents out some of the space to a chap who produces kindling -. never thought to ask where that wood comes from .... ...

Last edited:
I know. It was a result of some fallout in sweetheart's family...and a bit of a guilt payment. Long story, but we ended up with £34,000. What can you actually do with that amount? It's not really life-changing. We rent a council house and have owned nothing in our entire lives. Seemed obvious to us, to buy land. And woodland has all sorts of odd exemptions regarding use, so we bought a tiny, pocket wood, around 2 hectares, for just over £30,000. We bought an ancient wooden horsebox - an old Leyland Daf, and spent the change on insulation and cladding, built a compost toilet and generally just hang out in the wood, growing trees, planting hedges, watching wildlife, sowing seeds. Took us a whole year to cut and hack out way to the middle, where we felled a dozen trees to make a sunny clearing.
We don't really hold with the idea of private land so we opened a ride through for dogwalkers and naturalists and such, and see ourselves as stewards, rather than owners, of a really precious little island of diversity in the middle of industrial farming Norfolk. We are friends with a neighbouting farmer...an ancient (83) libertarian, anti-authority type...and have learned a fair bit, going both ways. This year, he has adopted no-till with grazing leys comprised of red clover, sainfoin, buckwheats...(it has taken around 5 years for all the old chemicals to finally leach away from the topsoil) and has put 15 sheep in a corner of our wood (I get the fleeces and meat). It's a last adventure, really...and we have had no doubts whatsoever that buying a little wood was one of the best decisions we have ever made..

I know. It was a result of some fallout in sweetheart's family...and a bit of a guilt payment. Long story, but we ended up with £34,000. What can you actually do with that amount? It's not really life-changing. We rent a council house and have owned nothing in our entire lives. Seemed obvious to us, to buy land. And woodland has all sorts of odd exemptions regarding use, so we bought a tiny, pocket wood, around 2 hectares, for just over £30,000. We bought an ancient wooden horsebox - an old Leyland Daf, and spent the change on insulation and cladding, built a compost toilet and generally just hang out in the wood, growing trees, planting hedges, watching wildlife, sowing seeds. Took us a whole year to cut and hack our way to the middle, where we felled a dozen trees to make a sunny clearing.
We don't really hold with the idea of private land so we opened a ride through for dogwalkers and naturalists and such, and see ourselves as stewards, rather than owners, of a really precious little island of diversity in the middle of industrial farming Norfolk. We are friends with a neighbouting farmer...an ancient (83) libertarian, anti-authority type...and have learned a fair bit, going both ways. This year, he has adopted no-till with grazing leys comprised of red clover, sainfoin, buckwheats...and has put 15 sheep in a corner of our wood (I get the fleeces and meat). It's a last adventure, really...and we have had no doubts whatsoever that buying a little wood was one of the best decisions we have ever made..

It is a coreopsis, gentlegreen. Coreopsis verticillata - probably 'Moonlight'. 'Zagreb' is a deeper yellow. I find these US natives to be short-lived and temperamental...demanding the elusive 'moist but well drained' soil in sun.
The top is an allium...but wouldn't like to say which one. ''Schubertii'?

It is a coreopsis, gentlegreen. Coreopsis verticillata - probably 'Moonlight'. 'Zagreb' is a deeper yellow. I find these US natives to be short-lived and temperamental...demanding the elusive 'moist but well drained' soil in sun.
The top is an allium...but wouldn't like to say which one. ''Schubertii'?
growing "wild" at my place of work :)

... where I have just spotted this ...

There used to be a patch of bee orchids elsewhere on the site ....

EDIT:- I think this might be Anacamptis pyramidalis - Google Search

WP_20200701_12_16_46_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:
Shit photos sorry, can't see my phone screen in sunshine
DSC-0666.jpg

DSC-0665.jpg

salvia microphylla (although there is also salvia greggii and hybrids of both, salvia jamensis. My garden mainstays. I have loads of them because they can be propagated by simply poking a non-flowering bit of stem in soil.

" The meadow clary’s striking blue flowers and wonderfully aromatic leaves are a flower-arrangers' favourite. "

:hmm:

... but then rocket tastes like burnt rubber to me and I don't like coriander ...

valley flower.jpg

Anyone any idea? Really sweet little flower, only 1.5 cm across or so. Fleshy leaves look a bit alpine like? Old mineworks, so heavily polluted land, a lot of thrift around for same reason.

A sedum of some sort. White star?
Maybe not, flowers are more pinkish aren't they?
English stonecrop perhaps.

I'll go for Rhodiola rosea - Roseroot. (aka Sedum rosea or rhodiola) as the description says four petals.
[my Keeble Martin has most of the other Sedum with five or more petals]

alternative - sedum album (white stonecrop) but that has a branched flowering stem, and the flowers have more petals and longer stamens.

I'll go for Rhodiola rosea - Roseroot. (aka Sedum rosea or rhodiola) as the description says four petals.
[my Keeble Martin has most of the other Sedum with five or more petals]

alternative - sedum album (white stonecrop) but that has a branched flowering stem, and the flowers have more petals and longer stamens.

Does certainly look like a sedum, and like white stonecrop, but can't see any with four petals

Back
Top Bottom