Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

looks like rheum palmatum - ornamental rhubarb...although I have never grown it myself, (too dry where I am) and the leaves are just not quite right. Deffo in the polygonaceae tho'.

2020-05-14_134623.jpg

2020-05-14_134608.jpg

Any idea what this is? It's growing fast (about 1 metre high now after being what looked like a dormant stick for ages).

I fear it's the dreaded Tree of Heaven which is, by all accounts, a bit of a rotter. Am I right?

Any idea what this is? It's growing fast (about 1 metre high now after being what looked like a dormant stick for ages).

I fear it's the dreaded Tree of Heaven which is, by all accounts, a bit of a rotter. Am I right?

ash ?
any more photos ?

View attachment 212508

View attachment 212509

Ash was my first instinct. Ygrasil, the Nordic world tree was an ash. Perhaps you can summon Odin.

Ooh, I think you must all be right! There was an ash tree in this particular post but it died about 2 years ago, but it's BACK!

#happy

View attachment 212522

I think Ash is known for doing this - putting out side shoots and growing back from them and malarky of that nature - it's also the right time of year, it typically comes into leaf late, mid-May ish.

There is a massive (council owned) Ash tree right outside our flat and I fucking love it, it has been there probably since the estate was built in the mid 70s and is a magnificent and majestic thing of beauty. It brings me a lot of happiness in an otherwise quite concretey part of London. It is easy to see why it inspired Yggdrasil :)

I hadn't considered that they were unopened flowers :oops:
I have plantain on the brain at the moment ...

EDIT :-

In the UK study published by the peer-reviewed journal PLOS One, the plant was even more noteworthy for being the top producer of both nectar and pollen, when the amount of each were compared with the pollen production of the highest nectar producers and vice versa. Of the six species that produced more nectar than this plant, none of them produced a significant amount of pollen. The top producer of nectar was ragwort and the top producer of pollen was corn poppy.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea_nigra#cite_note-Meadows-2

Last edited:
Slowly taking over the wildflower bed* at the plot

583B1B2A-56EC-46E6-9D98-DF157A53D3C2.jpeg

*a square foot I left to its own devices bar weeding out the grass occasionally

Slowly taking over the wildflower bed* at the plot

I grew a particular hound's tongue last year, which has just finished flowering...but these are popping up on my plot too, so thinking they could be cynoglossum volunteers. The flowers, like most in the borage family, are blue (although cynoglossum hungaricum has deep red flowers). Do you grow scabious or knautia?

Last edited:
I grew a particular hound's tongue last year, which has just finished flowering...but these are popping up on my plot too, so thinking they could be cynoglossum volunteers. The flowers, like most in the borage family, are blue (although cynoglossum hungaricum has deep red flowers). Do you grow scabious or knautia?
I don't really grow flowers

This self-seeded in an empty plant pot, I've potted it up again and it's growing like mad, especially the main stem which is shooting up. I thought it was leycesteria formosa (which I've just learnt is Himalyan honeysuckle, which sounds worryingly like Himalyan balsam) but having looked at some pics I'm now not so sure. The leaves at the base are quite a different shape from the new growth at the top. I've grown leycesteria before though, and it was nice. Any ideas?

IMG_20200527_195244294.jpg IMG_20200527_195234586.jpg IMG_20200527_195249761.jpg

This self-seeded in an empty plant pot, I've potted it up again and it's growing like mad, especially the main stem which is shooting up. I thought it was leycesteria formosa (which I've just learnt is Himalyan honeysuckle, which sounds worryingly like Himalyan balsam) but having looked at some pics I'm now not so sure. The leaves at the base are quite a different shape from the new growth at the top. I've grown leycesteria before though, and it was nice. Any ideas
Are you sure it's not two different plants ?
The lower leaves look a bit clematisy...

Back
Top Bottom