Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Not really, smmudge, (can't seem to tag you on my crap laptop).Dutch iris come from a bulb (not a rhizome). They will die back after flowering and appear next year. I have a handful on the allotment, which are ignored from one year to the next - they have a fairly short bloom cycle but, unless you are gardening in sodden clay, will return year after year. Likes a reasonably well drained soil in sun...but not a fussy plant.

Some bulbs are not keen on being waterlogged...bearded iris, for example (those with very colourful, flamboyant flowers and a hairy tuft on the keel petals (truly).,Most of the other riis family like to get their feet wet. I only have a few Dutch ones, cos I garden in rubbish sand and many others will sulk, but they are pretty invincible and honestly require no special effort to keep it going from one year to the next. One thing though - many bulbs will split into offsets or daughter bulbs, to reproduce themselves. A snowdrop colony will double in size every year, once established...and other plants will increase by seeding,too. However, in 15 or so years, I still have exactly the same number of dutch iris (5 or 6) as they have neither increased or decreased. Could be my crappy soil (and neglect) - be interesting to see if yours increase over the next few seasons

Overwhelming smell of cannabis on my daily dog walk. Been driving me mad, finally narrowed it down to this, any ideas?
IMG_20200430_154341.jpgIMG_20200430_154318.jpg

Yes a lot of plants contain the same terpenes.
Cleome is delightfully stinky too - and that's in the cabbage family and closely related to capers.
I've sown some old seeds this year ...

"
How can you tell a rhododendron from an azalea?
Azaleas have appressed hairs which is hair parallel to the surface of the leaf. Instead of having hair, most Rhododendrons are often scaly or have dots underneath the leaves. Azaleas also have tubular or funnel shaped flowers. Rhodi flowers are more bell shaped.
"

I've always written-off the genus because the rest of the year they don't do much - and it's traditionally an indulgence for people with huge gardens ..but I like the look of those buds ... and I love stinky flowers and I never knew they were smelly ...

Oh and the soil round these parts is often a bit alkaline ..

"
How can you tell a rhododendron from an azalea?
Azaleas have appressed hairs which is hair parallel to the surface of the leaf. Instead of having hair, most Rhododendrons are often scaly or have dots underneath the leaves. Azaleas also have tubular or funnel shaped flowers. Rhodi flowers are more bell shaped.
"

I've always written-off the genus because the rest of the year they don't do much - and it's traditionally an indulgence for people with huge gardens ..but I like the look of those buds ... and I love stinky flowers and I never knew they were smelly ...

Oh and the soil round these parts is often a bit alkaline ..
It's absolutely stunning for a few weeks , that's all there was originally. Volunteer gardener's have put rose beds in with climbers and beds of bulbs for all year round colour over the past ten years. I give them plants when I've grown too many from seed.
56584-slide.jpg

I suppose it depends if you think it may have set seed and if you want them - though ripening seed takes energy from the plant ...

I suppose it depends if you think it may have set seed and if you want them - though ripening seed takes energy from the plant ...
I don't understand set seed. Do you mean a seed will drop off and grow? I have another one that grew out of this plant, it grew from under a leaf/petal whatever it is. I mean I have another plant, not another flower.

I don't understand set seed. Do you mean a seed will drop off and grow? I have another one that grew out of this plant, it grew from under a leaf/petal whatever it is. I mean I have another plant, not another flower.
You would probably need to carefully sow the seed on the surface of some gritty compost - but you would also have to wait until the pods had swollen - and it will take energy from the plant ... and I never managed to get a viable seed from my cactus ...
Removing the flower stalk will encourage the new rosettes :)

Back
Top Bottom