Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

A sedum of some sort. White star?
Maybe not, flowers are more pinkish aren't they?
English stonecrop perhaps.

Yes I think the centre's pinkish and fluffy. Also given as a common flower around Cornish coast (the valley counts because of the mine waste).

Thanks all - I think you're right then if it can have 4 petals :) I've tried taking seeds and it looks like you can plant them nowish so I'll give it a try :)

Various sedum species are often used for roofing (green roofing). This way of roofing actually began many centuries ago in Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

Apparently it gives insulation against the cold and the heat, helps absorb both rainwater and has the added advantahe of suppressing sound.

Thanks all - I think you're right then if it can have 4 petals :) I've tried taking seeds and it looks like you can plant them nowish so I'll give it a try :)
Aren't they easy to propogate like succulents /cacti? If there's an abundance you could pick a couple of leaf things . Or would that be bad form ?.

possibly black medick ?

The leaves look too narrow though ... :hmm:

It might even be alfalfa - which would be embarrassing as I grow the sprouts all the time :D

In a big coincidence, that's the plant growing in the middle of my lawn that I've been wondering the identity of for some time. I even found one of the spiky spiral seeds yesterday on the patio and identified that as some sort of burdock, but didn't associate it with the plant on the lawn.

Another mystery legume - sown in a local community veggie bed ...

EDIT:-
Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum)

I probably actually have seeds !
I bought some to sprout.

mysterylegume.jpg

Last edited:
A mystery plant that has appeared in my front garden in the area where my compost bin used to be so masses of fruit seeds etc. I had a couple of date palms out of that bin and an avocado sprouted a year or two back, but sadly didn't survive the winter...

I hope it flowers sooner rather than later.
Something has rolled up a leaf or two on it so at least it's serving some purpose.
Initially it looked a bit tree-like, but it's rather sprawly ...

mysterytree4.jpg

FB_IMG_1596722111434.jpg

This turned up in a pack of " birds bees and butterflies seeds". Looks a little bit naughty. Anyone know what it is?

Yes - not worth the bother of growing to maturity unless you want to make string - you'd need a boy and a girl to make more bird seed ...

Hello. Thread virgin here.

Out walking earlier, stopped dead in my tracks. The smell was divine.
Some type of jasmin?
FD65AE2C-6961-4630-B6D8-F375819D0437.jpeg

The leaves on mine are small and shiny though - so perhaps those belong to something else ?
I see they do a pink form... I wonder if it smells as nice ... :hmm:

The leaves on mine are small and shiny though - so perhaps those belong to something else ?
Yes, I was wondering about the leaves in the photo. I think the leaves on t.asiaticum are a little smaller than t.jasminoides...but the flowering period seemed right (unlike stephanotis). Now I am also thinking about mandevilla laxa aka Chilean jasmine...although from Bolivia.

Excellent! Many thanks
I wouldn't bet the farm on it. GG (and myself) have some concerns about leaf shape so you could also look up mandevilla laxa - another evergreen scrambler with fragrance. There is also something about the flower architecture (how they are clustered and arranged on the stem) where I have reservations. Plant ID used to be so much easier before globalisation in the horticulture trade moved up a notch from those old Victorian plant hunters in the colonies.

It sounds like another one i will want eventually.
My neighbours have an amazing climbing jasmine in their garden whose fragrance was amazingly strong back in April and May.
I must see if I can get a photo of the foliage ... another neigbour has a "jasmine" hedge that has hardly any fragrance at all ...

My neighbours have an amazing climbing jasmine in their garden whose fragrance was amazingly strong back in April and May.
Yes, my neighbour has one too. She had cut it right back...which was a huge relief cos I find the scent to be ghastly. Couldn't go into my garden from teatime on...for weeks. The only worst thing I have smelled, was something called tuberose (polianthes) You might like them though. Even some lilies are just too much for my nose. And, OMG - paperwhite narcissus. I like primrose and bluebell fragrances - light, floral, refreshing...not heavy, musky headache-y plants.

Yes, my neighbour has one too. She had cut it right back...which was a huge relief cos I find the scent to be ghastly. Couldn't go into my garden from teatime on...for weeks. The only worst thing I have smelled, was something called tuberose (polianthes) You might like them though. Even some lilies are just too much for my nose. And, OMG - paperwhite narcissus. I like primrose and bluebell fragrances - light, floral, refreshing...not heavy, musky headache-y plants.
I have to confess I asked if it was (a particularly good) synthetic laundry fragrance !
I'm generally quite keen on strong fragrance so long as I can pin it down.
I'm constantly amazed by the vile stuff people dunk themselves in that is presumably some cheap industrial chemical that they have learned to like by virtue of it being associated with some celeb or other.

Any ideas ?

No others anywhere near - just long grass ...

EDIT:-

I reckon I'm going to have to carefully remove one of the pods and see if there are any seeds that will sprout - they're not going to fare well in such lush grass anyway ...
Incidentally, the experimental meadow at work has lots of ripe yellow rattle seeds (parasite), so perhaps I should sneakily germinate some and see if I can't give this patch of grass a bit of a challenge ...

poddies.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom