Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I've actually been successful so far in treating knotweed
(a) get them before they start spreading
(b) cut off stem, soak small piece of paper handkerchief with nasty Monsanto roundup
(c) tie that to exposed stem with a loop of wire

:)

Not the plant...but wtf is this bug that's eating my plant? IMG_20210703_094544_657.jpg
Im wondering...and yes I admit I'm being lazy n not looking it up (but ya know someone might just know n get to feel intelligent ) if it's part of a lady birds life cycle...fuck knows TBF. But it chomps dead loud. I could hear it a few feet away :D

phygelius ?

also known as "Cape Fuchsia"
Thanks! My mum used to grow fuchsia tryphylla hybrids so I can see how the common name of Cape Fuchsia might have arisen.

In fact, it's because of the tryphylla hybrids I've started to notice the phygelius in nearby gardens. Recently, in a weak moment at the garden centre I bought one - fuchsia tryphylla "thalia". I remember my parents pampering their tryphyllas making sure they spent the colder months in a heated greenhouse and wondered whether, with the milder winters we're having, they could cope outside all year round. I don't have a proper greenhouse let alone a heated one so I'm wondering what to do with my purchase.

I started spotting plants that looked like these fuchsias in gardens on my walks. They all looked well established in the ground and quite large but this was the first one near enough to the road to have a closer look.

. Recently, in a weak moment at the garden centre I bought one - fuchsia tryphylla "thalia". I remember my parents pampering their tryphyllas making sure they spent the colder months in a heated greenhouse and wondered whether, with the milder winters we're having, they could cope outside all year round. I don't have a proper greenhouse let alone a heated one so I'm wondering what to do with my purchase.
"Thalia" was the only fuchsia I used to grow - I don't remember ever keeping one over winter - I had a convenient garden centre that always had them - even in my unheated greenhouse ...
I grow the trailer "voodoo" these days and it's only through massive carelessness that I all but lose them most years - but then I live in Bristol where we don't often get proper winters ...unlike this last one that destroyed all my pelargoniums :p

"Thalia" was the only fuchsia I used to grow - I don't remember ever keeping one over winter - I had a convenient garden centre that always had them - even in my unheated greenhouse ...
I grow the trailer "voodoo" these days and it's only through massive carelessness that I all but lose them most years - but then I live in Bristol where we don't often get proper winters ...unlike this last one that destroyed all my pelargoniums :p
I've got some so-called "half-hardy" fuchsias which do survive the winters outside here on the North Downs. I have grown the upright version of voodoo outside and it has survived a few winters. I think the most tender one I've grown up until now is checkerboard. The RHS reckons it's an H3 on their hardiness scale and that's OK outside but thalia is an H1C so I don't fancy its chances over winter.

You can direct a furious hose on the lily beetle larvae - they will fall off and cannot get back onto the leaves. I do this after many summers spent fruitlessly cutting the shitey leaves off. Lily beetles and vine weevil larvae are the only pests I actually kill.
Worth removing the beetles as they will overwinter in the soil and restart the cycle next year.

You can direct a furious hose on the lily beetle larvae - they will fall off and cannot get back onto the leaves. I do this after many summers spent fruitlessly cutting the shitey leaves off. Lily beetles and vine weevil larvae are the only pests I actually kill.
Worth removing the beetles as they will overwinter in the soil and restart the cycle next year.
Thanks. I have been picking them off but not killing them.

One of my neighbours next to a house I had in the UK was a bit of an alternative lifestyle type. Used to do head massage and often had bohemian types round. He used to pick the snails off his broccoli and dump them in the local park , which I thought was anti social. tbh . Ocasionally I used to pick off snails from plants in my garden and throw them over his fence which my missus said was juvenile.

Back
Top Bottom