Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Hmmm, they look a little like they might be winter flowering irises but I'd say they are sprouting too early.

Iris reticulata maybe? :hmm:

Well that would be nice, irises are my wife's favourite flowers!

I guess we will wait and see.

Do you remember planting them, smmudge? Asking because I have never managed to get iris reticulata to return for another year. Crocus, otoh...which these could well be, are already sprouting and making an appearance above ground. Absolutely nothing to worry about though - they will just sit out the winter and wait as the increasing darkness nudges the blooming mechanisms but darkness levels increasing, rather than decreasing, usually stops the little plants being confused.
There is often a little bonus of blooms at this time as the equilibrium between light/dark levels seems to trigger some classic short day plants such as primroses - I always have a couple of auriculas blooming and the perennial wallflowers are really having a flurry.

I just bought this frilly succulent from the local florists. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how to care for it.
The plant covers the top of the pot so I've no idea even how to water it.
Any help gratefully received 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_150735.jpg
    IMG_20200202_150735.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 6
IMG_20200211_121905.jpg
Sorry to ask again but what is this thing growing up the middle. Is it just the plant still growing, is it a pup or a flower? Cheers

Thanks, that makes sense. I've already taken one pup off but it was already on the plant when I bought it. Is it not a bit early for a flower?
I don't know much about when house plants tend to flower. I suspect that being in a protected environment they don't always follow the "rules"as the conditions don't change as much indoors.

Nope no flowers :( doesn't look like they will, just looks like big grass tbh!
If they are irises then I had some spring flowering ones in my back garden which only ever produced leaves and then they disappeared. However, the irises (Lady Beatrix Stanley) in the front garden come up every year and flower. They've been flowering for a few weeks now and are almost coming to an end.

I don't know much about when house plants tend to flower. I suspect that being in a protected environment they don't always follow the "rules"as the conditions don't change as much indoors.

Yeah just moving from the shop to a warmer/lighter house can do it ime, or turning more lights/heating on in the winter. That echeveria will want a good amount of light though Shirl if you don't want it getting too leggy and sad looking

Yeah just moving from the shop to a warmer/lighter house can do it ime, or turning more lights/heating on in the winter. That echeveria will want a good amount of light though Shirl if you don't want it getting too leggy and sad looking
Thanks iona. It's getting plenty of light but just not a lot of direct sunlight. The sun is only on the window for at most 4 hours a day in summer. Is that ok?
All the other plants here were cuttings from other plants I have. The one in the pink pot is the pup from the big one.
IMG_20200211_145002.jpg

Thanks iona. It's getting plenty of light but just not a lot of direct sunlight. The sun is only on the window for at most 4 hours a day in summer. Is that ok?
All the other plants here were cuttings from other plants I have. The one in the pink pot is the pup from the big one.
View attachment 198247
Idk, echeverias are one of my (many :oops:) entirely irrational plant prejudices, but most succulents in general would prefer more. It'll let you know if it's that unhappy though.

That maranta looks good btw! I'm always impressed by people who can keep them that healthy, mine is a complete dickhead and I have loads of "fussier" houseplants that're doing fine :rolleyes::mad:

Is that herb Robert next to it?
Only 2 months early if it is !

Er a quick Google suggests it may be yes (like I said we only moved in last summer, the previous owner loved his plants, just plants everywhere, inside, outside, the whole garden looked like a nursery basically).

Why does Google say another name for this plant is "death come quickly"? 😧

I've still got a nasturtium doing happily in the conservatory :confused: I've never done well with nasturtiums let alone overwintering them.

That maranta looks good btw! I'm always impressed by people who can keep them that healthy, mine is a complete dickhead and I have loads of "fussier" houseplants that're doing fine :rolleyes::mad:
I had to Google Maranta before I knew which plant you meant :oops:
Somehow I ended up with a huge Maranta. It had been owned by a woman who was well known and very popular around my town. She lived in a caravan and was known as Caravan Pat. She died a few years ago and then about 3 years ago, the woman looking after her plant asked me to look after it as I had my studio then and lots of light. I asked her to take it back but she said it was too big for her and better off with me :facepalm:
I'm always worried about the plant dying so I've been taking cuttings and now have about 6 smallish ones that I'm going to give to CP's friends. That way, if I do kill off the big plant, her friends will still have a part of it.
I wouldn't care but I never even met the woman. :facepalm::D

Thanks. I'm very pleased with it. I'm still surprising myself with all my plants not only staying alive but growing and flowering too. :D
I love growing plants and all things gardening wise. However, I'm the grim reaper when it comes to houseplants.
Looks like you're doing well.
I can send you this if you like, it's only illustrations but still a good reference.
I went through a stage of wanting all the expert books ! I prefer them to the internet, nice to have something to hand.
IMG_20200326_140044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom