Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Can anyone tell me please whether this is something I have grown or a weed-and in either case whether it has a name?(Please don't say "Japanese Knotweed" ).

Attachments

• 20190630_183115.jpg
    20190630_183115.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190630_183126.jpg
    20190630_183126.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Calamity-fwiw my gf thinks its kebai and my mother thinks its cobea but google images doesn't seem to corroborate either of these theories.Whatever it is its flourishing atmo and even overtopping our relatively feeble sunflowers.

Wrong leaves. Flowers are like morning glory/bindweed (bell shaped flowers) but the leaves are throwing me. Someone will be along tomorrow to enlighten us all :thumbs:.

Alyogyne huegellii leaves are a bit more rounded gentlegreen (but still palmate) but there are other alyogynes - hakeifolia (sp?) - although I have only seen huegelii IRL. The malva family is quite large as well. There is a good site malvaceae.com to check.

Thanks very much for all this input which I will need to look up.I am in Warwickshire but these plants,of which we have a dozen or more,came up in pots in the greenhouse.Because I am new to gardening we didn't label anything carefully.These plants in the photos just sprouted like outsize nettles among the good stuff so I put them outside to fend for themselves and they seem happier than ever.Gonna have a look at malvacae.com now.The mallow thing also interests me because I know they just spring up spontaneously as these things seem to have done.Only other possibility is that its non-native cos gf had some ancient seeds from W. Africa in one tray but they were practically in a fosslised state and didn't appear to germinate at all.Thanks all.Mostly these plants came up in pots where there were dahliah corms.

Yeah, it happened to a neighbout of mine - growing datisca cannabina (although they were not actually carted off to the nick, just questioned. I grow althea cannabinoides - another dodgy looking plant with very fine, sativa-like leaves.

And then there are annual reports of odiferous moss phlox...
I have seeds of Texas rose mallow...must get some started.

I got this at the RHS Flower show at Tatton Park.

It's called a Balloon Flower. Platycodon grandiflorus

View attachment 180257

It even matches our bench :)
I got five for a quid in home bargains last year after they'd died back, not sure yet if they are going to be white or blue.
I noticed they have them back in stock yesterday.
Hope they are blue

Attachments

• IMG_20190809_160712.jpg
    IMG_20190809_160712.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 5
I got five for a quid in home bargains last year

Same - got some for my daughter. They are the shorter ones (I like the taller versions) and are tremendously long-lived. Like paeonies, they will return for years (mine are over 15 years old). They have a huge taproot, so cannot be divided...and they never seem to self-seed although they are easily grown from seeds sown under cover. I may sow some more seed as they are a nice late summer addition to the beds and borders.

Lidl also have them in atm. I didn't know you could get taller ones. Probably wouldn't do well here anyway with constant wind. I've got really tall campanulas that despair here. Don't know the variety.

I already know what my plant is, it's a eucalyptus.
What I don't know why it's has small roundish leaves at the bottom but now has long leaves at the top? IMG_20190813_161041.jpg :confused:

juvenile foliage
When grown for floristry they coppice it to keep it producing.
Eucalyptus gunnii
Thanks. I was thinking there was something wrong with it but it's in a pot and maybe I should keep it small. I've not had a plant like this before.

Thanks. I was thinking there was something wrong with it but it's in a pot and maybe I should keep it small. I've not had a plant like this before.

Yes, you can cut it back really hard, every year, to both keep it to a manageable size and keep the glaucous juvenile growth. Quite a few woody plants will have differently shaped leaves at different stages in their life cycle...and there is that really fascinating thing when trees/shrubs which are kept artificially small by chopping back the top growth, will compensate by throwing massive leaves. Paulownias, catalpa and cotinus all spring to mind. I might suggest you keep it in a pot - they are one of the few trees which are entirely happy with this treatment, year in, year out, without requiring extensive repotting or root pruning. Also, I have yet to see an actual upright eucalypt in the ground - they all seem to get a drunken lean, no matter how fervently they are staked and trained - waywardness seems to be built in.

Back
Top Bottom