Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I never seem to catch the scent when I pass one - probably because the hayfever has struck by the time it blooms.

My personal favourite is the plant that is actually related to the orange - choisya - it has aromatic foliage.

choisya.jpeg

I've got the Mexican Sunrise choisya, a definite value for money shrub. Mines about 8 foot high now, acid green leaves all year, amazingly fragrant white flowers, seems indestructible, demands nothing and gives big. 20190618_171032.jpg

I've got the Mexican Sunrise choisya, a definite value for money shrub. Mines about 8 foot high now, acid green leaves all year, amazingly fragrant white flowers, seems indestructible, demands nothing and gives big. View attachment 174597
Are you in a sheltered spot? Looked on rhs about them after gentlegreen posted it up. It says it needs full sun and shelter and I'm totally exposed to the elements here.

Ok bush fans... What's this one?

IMG_20190618_184315819.jpg IMG_20190618_184308942.jpg IMG_20190618_184258957.jpg

Looks a bit like buddleia.... but too early...but the fact that it looks different anyway might mean it will s a buddleia but it's a different one. Yunno?!

A deutzia or weigela? I killed both over the years, but it reminds me of them, well before they died. My escallonia has leaves a bit like that but darker and has just bloomed.

Eta whatever it is, I do like things that hold their own ; with little human help.

Thank you clicker, you've just named the other shrub I bought some yrs ago and can never remember the name of(the other was weigela and with being a weegie I remember that one!)

Callie those flowers are deffo buddliea like, but I've never seen a spawling buddliea like that. Could it be a type of spirea? the leaves in the bottom photo are spirea like but the upper photos are more buddliea like. I just went out and check my spirea :D Cos it's June and still daylight

buddleja alternifolia - looks nice growing over an arch or a gate...or anywhere where it's naturally prostrate nature is enhanced.
Like philadelphus and deutzia, it flowers on 2 year old wood...so prune all the flowering shoots to the base as soon as flowering is over, allowing last years branches to ripen and bear flowers next season, while new laterals will spring from the base (to flower in 2 years).

Last edited:
I only recognised it because I once grew it but never even tasted it so saw it go to seed. :oops:

I'd forgotten about the diabetic-friendly inulin sugars - I may have to grow it in the future along with the black form (scorzonera) and Jerusalem artichokes.

Last edited:
Ah, I can see the full picture now and I definitely think not a callistemon...in fact< I think it is the New Zealand Christmas tree (Maori name escapes me - pakehua or summat) so I am going to look online.
eta Pohutukawa. Metrosideros excelsior

Ah, I can see the full picture now and I definitely think not a callistemon...in fact< I think it is the New Zealand Christmas tree (Maori name escapes me - pakehua or summat) so I am going to look online.
eta Pohutukawa. Metrosideros excelsior
That does look like it. I'll check with my wife who sent me the picture. Sure she said it had hairy leaves.

Back
Top Bottom