Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Suspect mallows looking good this morning
Turns out my mallows (which have become as tall as sunflowers and which my gf actually boiled up and consumed in large quantities believing them to be kebai) are in fact without a shadow of a doubt Nicandra physalodes a.k.a the apple of Peru aka the Shoo-fly-Plant.Starting to see how plants can be really surprising.

Shame on me for not recognising a solanaceous plant :oops:

The physalis-like seed pods might have given it away - sadly the fruit are apparently rather toxic.

Last edited:
Shame on me for not recognising a solanaceous plant :oops:

The physalis-like seed pods might have given it away - sadly the fruit are apparently rather toxic.
Right-will make sure the gf doesn't start in on the fruit.She was emboldened by the extent to which the large leaves had been a rabbit-magnet at the bottom of our garden.

Hello folks. What is this? The one in St Matthews Peace Gardens flowered spectacularly well and long.

hArzrTEBzNX7U_8_jfCnuahnusQOWJDXYLeloI91y9Hw4ezzyF2YtNo8Z-ZGRD8ysgspCkPYEWObcmahDgW64QyGQ9naEBO5_vj3Qewuy_pmfgsYd5YQcLms7bTw4NyCh0RAEsvePMrs7ZBXZm189LrANXLdZrA--MN1TP_3mmo_Pn_W9asi5XAgHJicnKQc6CWMZ9t1f_xzWW_kutYX6ELr1MvvNL-6V-JBpoJ69UFduX3kMKr-7pLAEcu-VZjKpZUx9-9muM_4ytv3kB9MfvYI0HsK2DLm7cnfYJMx-69HZ1a2CBjyL6PuRz6tigsIyWRDs7B0pOykbybodrMbCZ1VFX5iycNozFc5QJd-2H5qy42W8r-NKWdm9rvJxc4BnwlN_-Lhja-cSavQsVYfzW8LAx0i1KXmgqmxEMjaTiDmK6k_4omO98vlDGB4t0AT18JJGJIvCfCIYbqNKD_gn0ThVHdM5JWtF3lpdVyatb9kpWwfnjeqt5eD0vKH1W2r1OJUkRSm8GoBuHPXZJErYdMsX3Rufu0i8nrtiCpusCSMHqmUIA1N3_b3t0bYWKJxyvNTHDA8YgeZ_wTwzIVtO9lN3SGYBabe-XeaDD_ur5naVp6-lUAx2g7otqUKnwiPKVGCT28bDCi0pFmI3vEUIGOr3p3d7Zyf=w1353-h1804-no

This is growing down from me in the college grounds. Pic makes the flowers look pink, but they're closer to red. Also the flowers are crocus shaped?
IMG_20190930_142513.jpg

They are terrific water plants - mine grow with their roots in the pond. Although I also have one in my gravel garden. Very long lived and obviously resilient to survive my benign neglect.
I haven't got my head around the name change - they are still schizostylis to me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, they look a little like they might be winter flowering irises but I'd say they are sprouting too early.

Iris reticulata maybe? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom