Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Yep - hydrangea quercifolia, aka oak leaf hydrangea. This is the only one I grow although I am thinking they may sit well in the wood.
I saw that in a garden last year without flowers and couldn't pin it down - the leaves are so different from the other species ...

I mis-remembered the leafshape, so thought I'd found an outcrop of the swine cress - until I saw the flowers - so I'm assuming it might be in the geraniaceae or Lamiaceae.
I have sinusitis, but no noticeable minty or herb robert stink ...

mysteryflower.jpg

Last edited:
tumblr_nloc6sexqh1rte5gyo2_500.gif

I've found a reference to the seedpods being used in hygrometers and weather indicators. I may have to try this - and perhaps a pinecone - I'm not sure the seaweed thing is more than a myth ...

Apparently, black forest weather houses use catgut.

clock.jpg

Last edited:
This appeared in one of the beds at work - thinking about it, perhaps it came with the bark mulch - it doesn't appear to have a noticeable perfume ... being autumn flowering, I imagine it would have to be woodland edge or otherwise very oopportunistic ...

mysterynew.jpg

identify wildflowers online suggested scilla - but Googling suggested the flowers are on a spray rather than hyacinth-like ...

Last edited:
IMG_20170514_083435.jpg IMG_20170820_085203.jpg

A bush about 8ft tall, white flowers in spring, I took this photo (of the berries) in mid August. I'm pretty sure it's inedible, although the leaves are currant-like, but the berries are not translucent enough to be redcurrants.

Eta: Pic of flowers, taken mid May.

Last edited:
guelder rose - viburnum opulus
That's the one! I had a vague idea it was this, but forgot what it was called. Not related to the redcurrant family then. Wiki says you can eat the berries (made into jelly), but they're mildly toxic so don't eat too much or you'll get V & D. And that the bark is used for reducing smooth muscle tightness (it's also known as Cramp Bark).

I think that's a Toad Lily, in English anyway. They come in different shapes but that definitely looks like one.

I've also posted this on a mushroom site ... sadly I very much doubt it's "chicken of the woods" - though I'm almost certain I saw a prime example of that on a nearby fallen oak log several years ago - albeit didn't stop to take a photo until it was past its best :-

chickenofwoodslowres.jpg

This is also on oak - a healthy one this time.

It's thick, evenly orange and rubbery.

mysteryoakfungus.jpg

I think that bottom one is a beefsteak fungus.

That chicken of the woods is rather... drippy and both look a bit blergh :p

For some reason "beefsteak" fungus appeals even less than "chicken" - it really has the consistency of a rubber chew toy :D

What is the massive tree by the Streatham War memorial. Cypress? On the left in this image:
streatham war memorial tree.jpg

Back
Top Bottom