Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Thank you both! :)

Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii
spurge

This handsome euphorbia has upright stems clothed with whorls of fleshy, glaucous leaves and topped with huge heads of chartreuse-green flowers with bronze 'eyes' from March to May. The Edwardian garden designer Gertrude Jekyll described this sun-loving, evergreen shrub as 'one of the grandest of plants'. Euphorbia characias originates from the Mediterranean, where it is found on dry rocky slopes and scrubland, so it is very tolerant of drought once it becomes established. It forms a natural rounded shape, and brings structure and an architectural quality to the garden. A tall mainstay of the traditional herbaceous border, it's equally at home in a contemporary minimalist or gravel garden. It may self-seed, but plants rarely come true from seed.

They are euphorbias, Ruti - probably e.characias, sub.sp. 'Wulfenii'...or possibly e,amygdaloides var robbiae. Anyway, be very careful cutting them - if you get any of the latex-like sap on your skin, it will react with sunlight and can cause horrible blistering. Apart from that, they are a great architectural plant, beloved of wildlife and an absolute design stalwart. Looks fabulous with purple toadflax or nicotiana...anything purple, really.

Oh, sorry for the repetition - a whole slew of posts appeared whilst I wasn't noticing.

There's a big old tree on my way home which I swear currently has baby blue flowers right at the top. (perhaps the very lightest of mauve)
I will try to get a close-up of the leaves at some point. This is from Google street view.

mysterytree.jpg

Seems like a good fit - the poor thing is past its best and the only flowers are way up high - and I cycle past not wearing glasses ...

Are they doing building work right next to it? It doesn't look to happy in your pic... But too early for leaves to have fallen I think :( sad tree!

Without my glasses on and it being at a junction where I'm focussed on the traffic, this one looks like a mauve magnolia :)

Put this on' what common plants or weeds are growing in your neighbourhood', but no takers. Must like sandy soil as it a coastal town. Driving me mad to what it is. DSC_0043.JPG

Spotted this as it's got nice odd leaves that are red in amidst its mass of green leaves.

Getting some sort of reddish berries as well.

IMG_0806.JPG

Ok.
Please, help me out here, fellow ubs.
I had some "miner's lettuce" in a salad today (at a local establishment).

What is it ? any other common / proper names ?

Found this whist walking the mutt. Before it flowered the seed heads were spiky buggers. Can't find owt on Google.
DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0128.JPG

Back
Top Bottom