Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Yes you're right. I Googled that first and only saw the cone shaped cedars. Just did it again and saw these Cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani), ta.
I guess I should have been more specific but it's what I tend to think of as a "cedar tree" even though I know there are other types.

They are magnificent trees but need a lot of space when fully mature.

There's one in the High Street here which is pretty impressive.

21767.jpg

In the winter it looks equally as good

CV4Wy4hXAAA8Mdw.jpg

dead man's fingers :)

EDIT:- not quite - related species.

Xylaria hypoxylon - Wikipedia

Xylaria hypoxylon is a species of fungus in the genus Xylaria. It is known by a variety of common names, such as the candlestick fungus, the candlesnuff fungus, carbon antlers,[1] or the stag's horn fungus.[2] The fruit bodies, characterized by erect, elongated black branches with whitened tips, typically grow in clusters on decaying hardwood. The fungus can cause a root rot in hawthorn and gooseberry plants.[3]

Xylaria - Google Search

Last edited:
dead man's fingers :)

EDIT:- not quite - related species.

Xylaria hypoxylon - Wikipedia

Xylaria hypoxylon is a species of fungus in the genus Xylaria. It is known by a variety of common names, such as the candlestick fungus, the candlesnuff fungus, carbon antlers,[1] or the stag's horn fungus.[2] The fruit bodies, characterized by erect, elongated black branches with whitened tips, typically grow in clusters on decaying hardwood. The fungus can cause a root rot in hawthorn and gooseberry plants.[3]

Xylaria - Google Search
I've had a look online and it looks more like Ramaria stricta, Upright Coral fungus to me.

ramaria-stricta5.jpg

Anyone able to identify this tree? Red/orange berries during winter, currently about 4-5m tall.

IMG_7952.jpg

(Ignore the leaves top right and bottom left as they're from other plants)
Thanks!

Sorry I can't help you with that - any idea what the flowers looked like ?

I think I found my first edible mushroom today - possibly a birch bolete - the stem didn't turn blue when I nicked it.
I left it in place because there was only one and looked so pretty and and it looked past its best in any case.

boletesmall.jpg

Anyone have much experience with box blight? A few weeks ago I noticed the leaves on one plant in a box hedge disappearing to leave only the curly perimeter skeleton of the leaf. Suddenly noticing it is a lot more widespread. Guidance on box blight seems to suggest leaves die and turn brown first which is not what is happening. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there anywhere I can send for testing?

Screenshot_20170920-061125.png Screenshot_20170920-061039.png

Yes, I reckon that's a nice healthy plant that's been chomped by perhaps two or three different creatures and there's fresh growth.
We have blighted box plants at work and they don't look like that.

Box sucker - an aphid like thing (psylid)...but a closer look seems to show classic leafminer damage (diptera - a fly larvae). Either pest, no real problem unless this occurs every year and is extensive.
Think the tree (upthread) might be a cotoneaster rather than a viburnum - maybe lacteus. Is it evergreen?

Think the tree (upthread) might be a cotoneaster rather than a viburnum - maybe lacteus. Is it evergreen?
Yes, it keeps leaves throughout the Winter, though it does drop quite a lot of leaves through the year. Will have a look and compare to pictures if it’s still light when I get home

Sorry I can't help you with that - any idea what the flowers looked like ?

I think I found my first edible mushroom today - possibly a birch bolete - the stem didn't turn blue when I nicked it.
I left it in place because there was only one and looked so pretty and and it looked past its best in any case.

View attachment 115914
That's a coincidence, so did I, I think it's a young birch bolete anyway, it was under birch.IMG_20170920_114759348.jpg

Back
Top Bottom