Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Designers innit.

Well at least the growth won't get out of hand ...

I see it's sometimes known as "mistletoe cactus" ...

Last edited:
On the river Taff while having a stroll up from Cardiff

I'm erring towards Shag because of the headcrest

Last edited:
Mallow family - hibiscus, hollyhock etc ..

It's the cheese-shaped bud formation - even clearer in the seed pod.

mallowcheese.jpg

Malvaceae: Mallow Family. Identify plants, flowers, shrubs, trees.

The leaf form is pretty diverse - to the extent that idiot cops in the USA have been known to mistake one form of hibiscus for cannabis.

hibiscus-cannabinus-300x300.jpg

Mind you, in the UK I've heard of at least one instance of someone having their tomato plants confiscated - and that in a country area ...

Last edited:
hibiscus moscheutos - these have appeared over the last few years - previously, the only hardy hibiscus was the shrubby h.syriacus. I think 'Disco Belle' was one of the first cultivars (there are many now but the 'Disco' series still reign supreme. Surprisingly easy from seed.
I am currently growing malvaviscus...or Turk's Cap - related to abutilon but a good doer in shade (unlike most of the malva tribe).

Any ideas what this might be? It grows flat to the ground and several of them have appeared over the winter on an area where I had some building work done. It's somewhere between 45cm and 60cm across. I'm on chalk, if that helps.

The weird thing is the flower buds look a bit carroty, the foliage like parsley - perhaps even poppy / fumitory -like and the seed pods look like cleavers (sticky willy) - but the latter has no relatives with leaves like that.

Galium_aparine_b.jpg

The weird thing is the flower buds look a bit carroty, the foliage like parsley - perhaps even poppy / fumitory -like and the seed pods look like cleavers (sticky willy) - but the latter has no relatives with leaves like that.

View attachment 105796

This is still puzzling me. I asked my neighbours who are keen gardeners and they couldn't identify it and nor had they seen it growing in their garden.

I'm wondering if you're on to something with fumitory. The only trouble is the flowers on my specimen don't look right when you look at other fumitory photos.

My neighbours were so intrigued they've potted one up to see how it grows and if the flowers develop any more. :D

This is still puzzling me. I asked my neighbours who are keen gardeners and they couldn't identify it and nor had they seen it growing in their garden.

I'm wondering if you're on to something with fumitory. The only trouble is the flowers on my specimen don't look right when you look at other fumitory photos.

My neighbours were so intrigued they've potted one up to see how it grows and if the flowers develop any more. :D

You could always stick it on iSpot to see if anyone can identify it
Home | iSpot

I did struggle to find a ground-hugging umbellifer ... I would hope a close-up of the flower petals would have given it away.
Possibly good for haemmerhoids apparently - if not for salad.

These lovely evergreen plants were here when I moved in. I have never found out what they are but I did notice something lovely this year. They are the home of the many ladybirds that live in the garden. The leaf/flower forms make perfect little homes. :cool:

Attachments

• WP_20170422_15_07_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170422_15_07_36_Pro.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20170422_15_08_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170422_15_08_21_Pro.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom