Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

To be fair, this has been the case since the beginning of supermarket in-store bakeries, I said pages back to ask because I remember regularly selling fresh yeast when I worked on the bakery counter in one of those new-fangled out of town Sainsbury's hypermarkets back in the '80s...
Yeah, I remember buying fresh yeast in plastic bags in the 80s. Dried yeast is better as fresh yeast stinks. :(

Sympathies to people having important shopping and supply issues.
Fortunately we're not, so .....

We 'panic-bought' some cider and beer from Sainsbury's today, on top of the box of twelve local bottles** that we had delivered earlier this week
**(flagged earlier up on this thread ;) )

After all, we're down a bit now on the delivered box :p :D, and it's a Bank Holiday weekend :eek:

( :cool: :D )

Iceland shop today, Still No Flour. Got a chicken, bread, garlic, peppers, some cream cheese and cider from Iceland and some courgettes from the veg stall outside. Going to turn a load of my bargain tomatoes into ratatouille and hot tomato/chilli sauce tonight.

Beautiful day - within 5 minutes of leaving the flat my eyes and nose were itchy and streaming, by the time I got to Iceland the post-nasal drip had come on with a vengeance and I spluttered my way around the supermarket with my face covered and people giving me a wide berth... :oops:

Beautiful day - within 5 minutes of leaving the flat my eyes and nose were itchy and streaming, by the time I got to Iceland the post-nasal drip had come on with a vengeance and I spluttered my way around the supermarket with my face covered and people giving me a wide berth...
I'm paranoid as my hayfever is making my nose run a lot at the moment - it must look suspicious to others that I'm infectious. I also sweat a lot so usually sweat is pouring off my face by the time I get to the shop, which probably makes it look like I'm feverish. :oops:

I use hand sanitiser stuff after I've blown my nose though which I wouldn't normally do with hayfever.

Every time I go into Sainsbury's, people have to have the new bag rule explained to them (that you have to pay for the bag before you get one; apparently people were nicking them) even though there is a sign on all the self checkouts. Usually it only has to be explained once and the other people in earshot then get it, but I assume the process repeats every time a new set of people gets to the checkouts, all day, plus some people seem extremely dense.

"You have to pay for the bag first, I have to see the receipt and then I give you one."
"Okay." waits for bag
"No, you have to pay for it first. Tell me when you finish and I will look at the screen and bring one over."
"Ah ok right." waits to get bag
"No I can't give you one now you have to pay on the machine and I will check it and give you a bag."
(other customers sometimes chip in)
"Ohhhhhh! Riiiight!"
(Someone else who has not been listening): "Hi can I have a bag please?"

Today someone else in the queue just gave one guy a spare bag they had, to save time.

Why do people go shopping without bags anyway? I never get that

Once I discovered Ikea blue totes, I never looked back - not least because they have shoulder straps - so I can carry a very heavy, but balanced load 200 yards from the supermarket without discomfort.
I once carried a stupid quantity of greenhouse glass from the bus stop like that ...

I'm often surprised when I see frailer people struggling with carrier bags.
I never see people doing it the way I do ...

Iceland shop today, Still No Flour. Got a chicken, bread, garlic, peppers, some cream cheese and cider from Iceland and some courgettes from the veg stall outside. Going to turn a load of my bargain tomatoes into ratatouille and hot tomato/chilli sauce tonight.

Beautiful day - within 5 minutes of leaving the flat my eyes and nose were itchy and streaming, by the time I got to Iceland the post-nasal drip had come on with a vengeance and I spluttered my way around the supermarket with my face covered and people giving me a wide berth... :oops:
The shop across from the old Red House had loads of flour when I was in there earlier. Couldn’t tell you what type but there was loads.

Once I discovered Ikea blue totes, I never looked back - not least because they have shoulder straps - so I can carry a very heavy, but balanced load 200 yards from the supermarket without discomfort.
I once carried a stupid quantity of greenhouse glass from the bus stop like that ...

I'm often surprised when I see frailer people struggling with carrier bags.
I never see people doing it the way I do ...
Tbf I'm not surprised you don't see people lugging sheets of glass around in an Ikea bag. I prefer to split my load between three bags as it helps me spread the load.

Come on, pray tell me what is wrong with splitting a heavy load evenly between two shoulder bags rather than the alternatives ?
It's foolhardy as fuck to carry glass on a bicyle, esp in bags not designed to be carried that way. Sometimes you just have to take a taxi

you just said you use Ikea bags on your shoulders
I reckon you could do with some manual handling training - the librarians get that where I work.

I reckon you could do with some manual handling training - the librarians get that where I work.
Several times. None of them felt the need to spell out 'Do not transport glass on a bicycle in Ikea bags slung over your shoulders', just as no one feels the need to instruct parents not to let their child play on the motorway.

Several times. None of them felt the need to spell out 'Do not transport glass on a bicycle in Ikea bags slung over your shoulders', just as no one feels the need to instruct parents not to let their child play on the motorway.
You probably need to practice your reading and comprehension skills too ...

Got some dried fruit to chuck in a banana loaf I'll make in the next day or so. I haven't got any plain flour, just bread flour of various types - presumably that will do? If the recipes needs SR I'll have to try and find some bicarb. :hmm:

Been using a lot of Sports Direct bags recently - I never know what amount of the stuff I want will actually be there, or whether I'll spot something big and precious at random, so I need the ability to carry potentially anything. Also, folded into quarters they fit well into a backpack.

I suggest people who have a continual use for cardboard egg boxes do some panic buying. Apparently there is a global shortage of recycled newspaper because no one is buying newspapers, so lots of egg suppliers will soon switch to plastic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom