Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you panic buying?

Not "Panic Buying" more, "Supporting a small local supplier" buying

Just put in a £55+ order for Award winning sausages - delivered direct to my door

In that order are:-

Pork and Marmalade Sausages
Burrow Hill Cider and Mustard Pork Sausages
Glastonbury Ales Pork Sausages
Traditional GOLD AWARD WINNING Pork Sausages
Home Cured Back Bacon

Can't wait for them to arrive - space already cleared in the freezer :thumbs:

Bought half a kilo of yeast on eBay. Usual price 5.99, I got it for 13.99 inc postage, on Amazon it’s now up to 23.99
Fuck. that's a lot of yeast!

I think I shall save the trub from my brewing efforts - sounds like I could flog it on the ebay, instead of rinsing it down the sink! The great thing about yeast is that it makes MORE yeast. Like that thing with storks and people.

Went shopping and got: 5kg sack of spuds, 4 pint bottle of milk, cheese, burgers, tomatoes (fresh), burger buns, cider, and a swiss roll which somehow got into the basket

Still no flour :(

Not "Panic Buying" more, "Supporting a small local supplier" buying

Just put in a £55+ order for Award winning sausages - delivered direct to my door

In that order are:-

Pork and Marmalade Sausages
Burrow Hill Cider and Mustard Pork Sausages
Glastonbury Ales Pork Sausages
Traditional GOLD AWARD WINNING Pork Sausages
Home Cured Back Bacon

Can't wait for them to arrive - space already cleared in the freezer :thumbs:
I'm slobbering reading that list

Anyone know the best time to go to the shop? I've been going only to the Tesco metro at 6am as it's two minutes away and totally empty at that time. Normally I would only use it for an emergency booze run (the kind when it's not an emergency at all and the last thing you really need is another bottle of whatever).
I digress.
Been afraid of going at peak hours as I have neutropenia (low white blood cell count). . . But I was just looking at the Lidl website and it says they are super busy between 8am and 11am, less busy from 11 -2 pm and not busy at all after 2pm. Now obviously things are a bit different now, but when I used to pop into Lidl at 9am there would be nobody else in there, and around 2pm it was as crowded as hell, massive queues.

So when in general are people finding are the quiet times in shops these days?

I think old habits die hard. Last Saturday lunchtime there were massive queues at Waitrose, despite most people being off work and able to go at any time during the week.

. . . So when in general are people finding are the quiet times in shops these days?

On my way into work I pass a mid-size Aldi and a small Lidl - the Aldi has people queueing up probably 10-15 in line for the doors opening at 8:00am

The Lidl had, maybe half that at the same time - both in Bristol . . . ie a city

A super large Tesco where we are will also have a small queue at opening time, but pop round there in the afternoon and it's pretty much walk straight in - same with a largish Morrisons

There's no real rhyme or reason to it at the moment, but you pays yer money and you takes yer choice

I wish you well and safe in your shopping excursions

Still no flour of any description in Tesco, and my local shop has only homeopathic bags of self-raising and plain - nothing for breadmaking, and absolutely NOTHING in wholemeal. Boo.

I soaked some wholemeal all bran in milk and then added that to white flour to make roti with. I still have some wholemeal flour left but will try the all bran/white flour concoction the next time I bake bread.

Am still well stocked on most things thankfully.

Went to do a shop in Asda yesterday for a charity my friend works for.
They were FULLY stocked with everything (pasta/bread/eggs/flour/bog roll/etc) which was pleasing to see.

One bonus (for me anyway) was their reduced section #haggleshelf was great. Got loads of decent sausages, salami, cheeses and such for about a third of the price. All with long (May onward) best before dates. Guessing they (or the computerised system) has over compensated due to the 'panic buying' over recent weeks.

In other news I have three toilet rolls left :eek:

Chainsaw lopper hedge trimmer combo. Nightmare to find anyone with one in stock. And when it turned up the chainsaw had no chain. SO I had to go and panic buy a chain, lube and gloves.

I am now armed and dangerous. My garden is in big trouble.

Still no flour of any description in Tesco, and my local shop has only homeopathic bags of self-raising and plain - nothing for breadmaking, and absolutely NOTHING in wholemeal. Boo.

If you're still having trouble getting wholemeal flour, I ordered this from here a couple of days ago with 3kg Cornflour for £20.36 including delivery using code SAVE20:

Chainsaw lopper hedge trimmer combo. Nightmare to find anyone with one in stock. And when it turned up the chainsaw had no chain. SO I had to go and panic buy a chain, lube and gloves.

I am now armed and dangerous. My garden is in big trouble.
Essential shopping :D

I am currently in the market for...

Plastic 'top of cupboard' baskets
Drawer/cupboard liners
Kitchen roll holder
Spice rack

Whoops, not a panic buy, more a drunken lockdown buy.

Arrived today..

2 x 460g Lancashire Cheese Bombs - for the Worlds Best Macaroni Cheese we're going to make this weekend :thumbs:

Also.

20g dried Carolina Reaper
20g dried Ghost / Bhut Jolokia
20g dried Orange Habanero
20g dried Guajillo
4 packets of Chocolate Habanero

^^^ we're making a series of Lockdown hot pepper sauces (4 in total ranging from Numbers 1 through to Numbers 4)

Shit.

:thumbs:

Arrived today..

2 x 460g Lancashire Cheese Bombs - for the Worlds Best Macaroni Cheese we're going to make this weekend :thumbs:

Also.

20g dried Guajillo

^^^ we're making a series of Lockdown hot pepper sauces (4 in total ranging from Numbers 1 through to Numbers 4)

Shit.

We make hot pepper sauce a LOT and also use dried in various dishes, where are you sourcing your dried chillies atm?

We are down to our last habanero and also running out of some milder smoky ones. (We are ok for Bhut Jolokia for the time being but stocks are in short supply for others!)

Arrived today..

Also.

20g dried Guajillo

Shit.

I've never heard of any of them :)

Back
Top Bottom