Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you baking?

If there's time, and if I can find the key ingredient, chocolate quintessence cake. Enough cocoa solids & theobromine to make your heart race.
Standard weight of an egg mixture, with cocoa powder replacing up to half the flour, plus fragments of white, v dark, orange dark, and milk chocolate, and about a teaspoonful of chocolate extract.

Yesterday I did a pizza using flour that is over a year and a half old. Surprising thing is it's working pretty well. I'm trying to use up the old stuff before buying more. I keep flour in airtight containers but at room temp. The flour from a container before this last one was almost useless.

I made banana bread too at the weekend, for the first time ever. Also first time I'd made a cake in my food processor, it worked beautifully! Banana bread now all gone :)

If there's time, and if I can find the key ingredient, chocolate quintessence cake. Enough cocoa solids & theobromine to make your heart race.
Standard weight of an egg mixture, with cocoa powder replacing up to half the flour, plus fragments of white, v dark, orange dark, and milk chocolate, and about a teaspoonful of chocolate extract.

Yum, sounds lovely.
I like the mix of all the different types of chocolate

In a couple of weeks I am baking a pumpkin chocolate mud cake for the other half's birthday. It's also got pecans and rum in it. Sounds lush.

OU, it's a secret, don't tell him.

I made this simple chocolate cake at the weekend - it was lush and quite gooey in the middle (I added walnuts and chocolate chips to the mix),
one thing though is how do make cake a bit less dense? is it all in the mixing?

I made this simple chocolate cake at the weekend - it was lush and quite gooey in the middle (I added walnuts and chocolate chips to the mix),
Whatever lumps you add to the cake, they're always likely to squash a bit of the air out. AFAIK you'll nearly always need to decide whether you want an intense flavour or whether you want lightness of texture. You could experiment with a little extra baking powder, but don't overdo it or you get a bit of a funny aftertaste.

FWIW the oven here takes so long to reach the right temperature that I wait for it to get there before even starting to do the cake mixture. As soon as the oven's hot enough, mixing starts, and the tins go in ASAP. That goes for any recipe which includes self-raising flour or baking powder - the longer it hangs around, the less well it tends to rise in the oven.

Sifting the flour into the mixture can help you get more air into the mixture.
Also, make sure that if you're using baking power/bicarb that they are in date.

I had a couple of not very good results recently when making cakes and when I looked at the baking powder it was about 3 years out of date :facepalm:. I chucked it and replaced it with some fresh and my cakes have been a lot better since.

Everything I used was fresh, I'm guessing I need a proper mixer.. after a couple of minutes mixing it with a fork my arm felt like it was gonna fall off :)

Here it is!

2 large oranges which have been boiled
6 eggs, lightly beaten
250 gr of ground almonds
250 gr of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
*I boiled the oranges the night before and allowed them to cool overnight before I prepared the cake the next day*

Boil the oranges, barely covered in water in a covered saucepan for 2 hours.
Once cooled, cut them open, remove any pips and chop into rough segments, including the rind.
Preheat the oven to 190 deg C and butter a 24cm springform pan.
Blend the oranges and eggs quite thoroughly in a food processor.
Mix the ground almonds, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and add the orange mixture and whisk it all together to combine.
Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour.
Once cooled turn it out on a cake rack and dust with icing sugar.
Serve with thick cream.

I boiled the clementines (used 4 in place of the 2 large oranges) last night....and also, when I chopped them up to remove the pips this morning, did my best to scrape off as much pith as possible, because I've made a similar one before and there was a slightly bitter aftertaste, which wasn't that bad, but less popular with the kids iykwim!
Also - prob best to cover with foil after the 45 minutes* or it'll burn!
VERY quick and easy to prepare, too (once your oranges are done, anyway). :cool:

Going to have it with greek yoghurt and a little dribble of maple syrup (and I might reheat it a little, first). :D

*I actually put it back in the oven after doing it for 45 minutes then trying it once it had cooled and discovering it was still a bit *wet* in the middle (although that may be because there was actually too much of the clementine mush in it (there were fairly large clementines ) :hmm: ....I ended up doing it, under foil, for another 30 mins but the hour would probably have done fine if I hadn't let it cool first).

I made apple lazagna.

I took some old brown rice lazagna noodles and cooked them up. I layered that in a square dish with sliced apples and a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar. Then baked it.

It was gooooooed.

I need to make a tractor cake for machine kitten's birthday next week but I'm really shit at baking :confused:

Will be doing a trial run tonight/tomorrow.

Are you using a baking tin in the shape of a tractor? I need to bake a train cake for my little boy's birthday soon.

I need to make a tractor cake for machine kitten's birthday next week but I'm really shit at baking :confused:

Will be doing a trial run tonight/tomorrow.
Oooh pics please!!

It's Mr.QofG's birthday next week as well, he would probably like a tractor cake :D

I have become obsessed by making one of these Christmas cookie trees which is in the current Sainsbury's magazine, so much so that I am considering splashing out a tenner or so on a Christmas Tree cookie kit :oops:

NEWcover.jpg

Are you using a baking tin in the shape of a tractor? I need to bake a train cake for my little boy's birthday soon.

Nah, not using a tin (looked at the price of them and they are :eek:.

I want to make something like this:

tractor-cake-18.jpg

I expect it to be a mess :D:(

:D who wouldn't?

My son would love a tractor cake but it's been bagsied by the friend who has a birthday two weeks before him. Mind you, he'd probably want a digger cake more. My head hurts when I think about assembling it, I think mr nags may have to do it.

OMG that sounds lush!!

Back
Top Bottom