Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

I think the electric cafe might be open for take away only. I noticed a sign on the door from across the road but couldn’t stop to go and double check. I don’t think they’ve been open since the first lockdown. Would be wonderful if they are not too terribly affected by COVID and continue to thrive for years to come. Best wishes to the family.

The sign is there but I've still not seen it open. 🤨🙁

Does everyone know the history of Royal Circus, and the house(s) found within? Whenever I’ve happened to drive by it I’ve wondered how it came to be.

I’m familiar with garden squares like those found in Chelsea and Mayfair, but this is a different beast altogether, as it’s set up as a private property with housing and extensive gardens inside, rather than the garden squares in central London that are accessible to the residents of the square, and contain no residential units.

Tonge House was built in 1936 with a bequest from Miss Bertha Mary Portal who wished to provide good quality and secure accommodation for single Christian women in the parish. The charity was managed by local trustees including an appointed trustee from St Luke’s Church in West Norwood.
Following the retirement of the live-in caretaker, Harrison Housing were approached by the trustees and took over the management of this property in November 2017.

As the two victims of these stabbings and the suspects under arrest are understood to be all known to each other, one hopes that those responsible for law enforcement can get to the bottom of this serious incident as soon as possible.

In any event, anyone with information on the incident which took place behind Iceland and Efes Restaurant near Waylett Place is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference Cad 4970/25Apr. To remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Sadly, I seem to recall that the spot where these two girls were given help by passers-by is where another youth died as a result of a stabbing back in August 2011.

Just wrote to South London Press. Here's what I sent: -
Residents of Windsor Grove have a petition with almost 5,000 signatures to Scrap the Yard. Campaigners are fighting the opening of a scrap metal sorting yard in West Norwood. They say,

“The unnecessary transit of scrap metal the entire length of Lambeth would impact air quality, as well as endanger the health and physical safety of local residents and over 3,500 schoolchildren.

If successful in its planning application for a scrap metal sorting yard at Windsor Grove, Southwark Metals would add a quarter of a million extra vehicle miles in Lambeth each year compared to its current location. This is directly at odds with Lambeth Council’s implicit commitment to its residents to tackle pollution with its Climate Change Emergency, launched in July 2019, yet Lambeth is seriously considering it.”

Yesterday (27 May 2021) a large lorry overturned under the railway bridge on the A215 West Norwood. This is proof of an already dangerous road and needs to be used as support for Lambeth residents and could also be offered to the new Leader of Lambeth Council, Claire Holland, who may well be interested, having come from her last position where she was leading on Lambeth’s response to tackling the climate and ecological crisis. Especially seeing as Lambeth is shouting about being the 'first council to sign up against Climate Change'!!

Bang!

norwood-bridge-3.jpg

Anyone know what's happened to trains to London Bridge from West Norwood Station?

Got here this morning and the Tulse Hill route is non existent and the Crystal Palace route seems to be one all morning.

Just looked and they have basically cancelled them all in the new timetable, so that's helpful.

Just looked and they have basically cancelled them all in the new timetable, so that's helpful.

Yeah I saw something on the local Facebook group that apparently they've been cancelled till further notice. Which is shit. Dunno if they're running from Tulse Hill instead but it's a pain.

There's until 11pm tonight to raise objections against the proposed huge property developer's middle finger to Lambeth that is the proposed redevelopment (It's not even going to provide any affordable housing which would have been the one upside to it) of Knollys Yard, which will impact Tulse Hill as well as West Norwood (I've posted this also in the Tulse Hill forum, so if this isn't ok, I'm sorry)

Attachments

• IMG-20220221-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220221-WA0001.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220221-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220221-WA0000.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
Knollys yard site is the one that bothers me most. I have objected on grounds of visual impact on brockwell park
Knollys yard is in a dip between 3 railway tracks. Not sure how it would have any impact on Brockwell. I would be more concerned about with area next to it.

Knollys yard is in a dip between 3 railway tracks. Not sure how it would have any impact on Brockwell. I would be more concerned about with area next to it.
Because they're proposing a 20+ storey building and it isn't clear the degree to which it will be visible from Brockwell Park behind the tower of Holy Trinity church

Back
Top Bottom