Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

West Norwood Picturehouse will be screening 'A Hard Day's Night' on Wednesday 30 March at 8pm. The film will be introduced by its assistant editor, our own local gentleman & cinema member, Roy Benson. Roy worked with The Fab Four on 'The Magical Mystery Tour' as well

1647958966694.png

Does anyone know if the leisure centre in west Norwood has a swimming pool suitable for toddlers. I can only see the swim for all option but I’m not sure if that includes a very shallow side

Does anyone know if the leisure centre in west Norwood has a swimming pool suitable for toddlers. I can only see the swim for all option but I’m not sure if that includes a very shallow side
It does - with Swim for All they separate the pool to create a 0.7m end for smaller kids. I was there yesterday and there were toddlers as well as Mums and babies in there.

A stroll around West Norwood cemetery.

west-norwood-cemetary-02.jpg

west-norwood-cemetary-03.jpg

I hope I don't have to visit the place again any time soon, pleasant though it is...

In photos: a walk around West Norwood Cemetery – one of the ‘Magnificent Seven’ cemeteries of London

I had a fun night DJ-ing a new pub hours club night at The Great North Wood on Friday. I'd never have entertained the notion of doing a dancing night from 7pm to midnight before Covid - for me, clubs were always about staying out late - but now it feels like a great idea. And The Great North Wood is a lovely pub too. If you fancy a dance in SE27, then we are here - rebel rebel club night in west norwood at the great north wood

I had a fun night DJ-ing a new pub hours club night at The Great North Wood on Friday. I'd never have entertained the notion of doing a dancing night from 7pm to midnight before Covid - for me, clubs were always about staying out late - but now it feels like a great idea. And The Great North Wood is a lovely pub too. If you fancy a dance in SE27, then we are here - rebel rebel club night in west norwood at the great north wood
Will definitely try and make the next one.

Let us know when you are doing it next.

nice one!
just as an aside theres now the trend for big dance nights being all day vents finishing at 10 or 11, though yesterday i got an email for a big line up DnB night at Ministry that goes from noon to 8pm!! I guess everyone's got kids!

Yes, I could definitely see a trend - there's quite a few afternoon clubs in London that are very popular, and local clubs are getting popular too. This was really an experiment to see if an early and local club could work where I live. We sold out the first one in a day and a half - insane - and the next two are sold out as well. I thought we might do OK, but the response has really taken me by surprise.

nice one!
just as an aside theres now the trend for big dance nights being all day vents finishing at 10 or 11, though yesterday i got an email for a big line up DnB night at Ministry that goes from noon to 8pm!! I guess everyone's got kids!
I noticed this trend starting with 'old skool' events like Clockwork Orange where its an older crowd, now many events are doing it, particularly Trance events. Got my eye on Peach and Frantic at Camden Palace in the next couple of months which are both day time events.

Let us know when you are doing it next.

Just added three more of these if you fancy a dance.

Friday May 12th - Great Big Kiss soul club - great big kiss soul club at the great north wood in west norwood, london, w1, motown, northern soul, girl groups, rock n roll club night
Friday June 2nd - Rebel Rebel - rebel rebel club night in west norwood at the great north wood
Friday June 9th - Great Big Kiss soul club again

I've done three nights there now and they've all been great. Really remind me of the old days at the Canterbury.

If you have something that needs fixing, such as small electrical items, crockery or clothes, there's a free event in West Norwood this Sunday 14th May 11-2 at the Fire Station, Knights Hill to help you fix them! They are also looking for volunteers for this and future events.
https://wenorepaircafe.org.uk/

Attachments

• WNRC_flyer.png
    WNRC_flyer.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 4
If you have something that needs fixing, such as small electrical items, crockery or clothes, there's a free event in West Norwood this Sunday 14th May 11-2 at the Fire Station, Knights Hill to help you fix them! They are also looking for volunteers for this and future events.
https://wenorepaircafe.org.uk/
Great initiative, but might what to rethink the website URL "We No Repair...."?

I wonder how many of these grand buildings have been knocked down across London. A B&Q warehouse seems like a terrible replacement.
The B&Q, while often handy to use, is essentially an assault on the high street. There are absolutely no redeeming features to it.

I had read, about ten years ago, that there was a proposal to create some green space by demolishing both the petrol station and the B&Q.

Unfortunately, it now seems that if it happens, it will be replaced by high density private housing.

Cinema chains are on the brink right now, could be another wave of such buildings about to go
What is that all about?

For me and the two kids to get to the Ritzy it is about £25-£30. That's because they are under 16. It would be £45 if they weren't. If they want popcorn and drinks it is another £30.

That's not far off theme park money.

I am essentially priced out and, on the off chance I go with the kids, I bring our own snacks and drinks.

And then you go in and the cinema is nearly empty.

Would they not be better to put prices down a bit, get more people in?

What is that all about?

For me and the two kids to get to the Ritzy it is about £25-£30. That's because they are under 16. It would be £45 if they weren't. If they want popcorn and drinks it is another £30.

That's not far off theme park money.

I am essentially priced out and, on the off chance I go with the kids, I bring our own snacks and drinks.

And then you go in and the cinema is nearly empty.

Would they not be better to put prices down a bit, get more people in?
yes its all that + streaming + covid closure costs + studio films have become generic content drudge
ive lost track of which but a couple of big chains have gone bust are only open on fumes based on a possible future sell off
deserves its own thread

That's a good price. I will have to take them there over the summer.

My daughter wants to go to see the Barbie film. At that price, I wouldn't even mind sleeping through it.
i think to get the best price you need to download the app and book throuhg it. Or at least online - prices are higher 'in person'

yes its all that + streaming + covid closure costs + studio films have become generic content drudge
ive lost track of which but a couple of big chains have gone bust are only open on fumes based on a possible future sell off
deserves its own thread
A bigger problem is some of the chains have huge debts which they can't service (partly I guess because of greedibly borrowing wghen money was cheap, but also because of covid when they had no revenue). So even if current ticket sales are enough to cover operating costs they aren't enough to service debt.

Back
Top Bottom