Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's on in Brixton: live music, DJ nights, comedy, club and entertainment news

Photos from last night at the Dogstar

In photos: Queen Bitch pop party at the Brixton Dogstar, 11th Sept 2021

...I always look at these pics and wonder which tunes are generating the frenzy.

That one might have been Wheatus 'Dirtbag' or 'It's Raining Men.' Or something equally poptastically cheesy. I fucking love pop music!
😳....a lot of those punters won’t have been born when those tunes come out.
I will admit to liking a bit of fromage myself, the mighty Andrew Gold gets a lot of flack but in my books he was a bit of genius both in production and lyrically....

😳....a lot of those punters won’t have been born when those tunes come out.
I will admit to liking a bit of fromage myself, the mighty Andrew Gold gets a lot of flack but in my books he was a bit of genius both in production and lyrically....
It continues to baffle me how some old songs suddenly become total floor fillers with 20/30 somethings. Hall & Oates for example. And last night Soft Cell went down a total storm.

It continues to baffle me how some old songs suddenly become total floor fillers with 20/30 somethings. Hall & Oates for example. And last night Soft Cell went down a total storm.
I guess these tunes have transcended disposable pop status and have become monuments by virtue of being played on the radio loads, the young uns probably soak it up while very young sitting in the kitchen eating their tea...

That one might have been Wheatus 'Dirtbag' or 'It's Raining Men.' Or something equally poptastically cheesy. I fucking love pop music!

Shania Twain 'That Don't Impress Me Much' is probably the number one floor filler at our place.
Going to replace DJs with karaoke for the final hour of the night though. Bring on the Shania wannabes.

Shania Twain 'That Don't Impress Me Much' is probably the number one floor filler at our place.
Going to replace DJs with karaoke for the final hour of the night though. Bring on the Shania wannabes.
Great song, but for me, it's Shania's Man I Feel Like A Woman that gets those arms waving! I could be imagining it, but post lockdown there seems to be a real appetite for escapist fun pop.

My university student union would often play terrible cheese from the 80s and early 90s era and had 18 year olds in a frenzy for it (this was mid noughties). I have never understood it, i always thought that cheesy chart pop music was mainly for those aged about 14 or younger, as they have yet to come out of puberty and start liking some decent/real music.

My university student union would often play terrible cheese from the 80s and early 90s era and had 18 year olds in a frenzy for it (this was mid noughties). I have never understood it, i always thought that cheesy chart pop music was mainly for those aged about 14 or younger, as they have yet to come out of puberty and start liking some decent/real music.
Pop music is 'real' music. ABBA are awesome songwriters.

tbh there’s always gonna be ironic revivals of naff stuff, I remember the old loungecore nights in the west end, what’s been popular once can be popular again, specially if drink/drugs and dressing up are involved....

Last edited:
Great song, but for me, it's Shania's Man I Feel Like A Woman that gets those arms waving! I could be imagining it, but post lockdown there seems to be a real appetite for escapist fun pop.
People seem to be drinking more as well.
Pop > fake rock.

I can not forgive ABBA* for what they did to the KLF although the burning of a shit load of records in Sweden did add to the legend..... The ABBA Incident - KLF ONLINE ....interesting to see ABBA comes up fully capitalised in predictive on Apple devices proving how woven into the fabric of our civilisation they are whereas KLF does not....I also have been racking my brain to think of one of the biggest cheesiest pop night club of recent times and I just rememdered its name....school disco...there’s still a Facebook page for it.....https://www.facebook.com/School-Disco-184855248894/ ....it was quite close by in Clapham iirc.

Last edited:
Have POW permanently binned off the midweek jazz night? I cant see any mention of it on their website, obviously no one was going to bother going on a Wednesday in the upstairs club (along with prison style security entrance) but i thought they'd see sense and put it back to Thursday nights in the pub.

Have POW permanently binned off the midweek jazz night? I cant see any mention of it on their website, obviously no one was going to bother going on a Wednesday in the upstairs club (along with prison style security entrance) but i thought they'd see sense and put it back to Thursday nights in the pub.
I think it might be a goner. It was ridiculous sticking it upstairs, especially if you've got to deal with the over-the-top security.

It's a shame because I had some great nights there.

I think it might be a goner. It was ridiculous sticking it upstairs, especially if you've got to deal with the over-the-top security.

It's a shame because I had some great nights there.
When i worked there for a bit a few years back it was the busiest night of the week and must have had very healthy bar takings. It was also the best night of the week due to all the characters that used to come along, even if some of them could be quite rude and demanding at the bar. I believe there was a stabbing which ruined things a bit culminating in the I.D machine being installed at the door (of the pub).

I think perhaps another pub could take on the band and get it going again, maybe Market House who may appreciate a strong bit of business on a Thursday night.

Back
Top Bottom