Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

Aside from the marvellous nimbyism inherent in the above, I doubt anyone is "steeling" anyone's Wifi.

A quick look at google maps has confirmed that there is one of those BT wifi hotspot/free phone call monoliths right outside Jackie Brown's

I was looking at Knowles' website yesterday as they have a large garden bar/front bit, but it wasn't really clear from their website and a generic Antic covid page what patrons had to do. So assumedly you have to either walk up or call to make a booking.

So far my going to bars has been determined by where I can book online as Monday-Wednesday are pretty busy and I've been waiting to enter a couple of places and seen people turned away who didn't book.

I was looking at Knowles' website yesterday as they have a large garden bar/front bit, but it wasn't really clear from their website and a generic Antic covid page what patrons had to do. So assumedly you have to either walk up or call to make a booking.

So far my going to bars has been determined by where I can book online as Monday-Wednesday are pretty busy and I've been waiting to enter a couple of places and seen people turned away who didn't book.
You don't need to book at the Railway down the road.

Well it is more that I don't want to go out unless I know I can get an outdoor table that's under cover (I'm still a bit paranoid having shielded for a while).

Just call them after 4pm once they're open to see if you can book. I know they take table bookings but don't think there's an online booking form. That said none of their tables in the garden are under cover as far as I'm aware unless they've recently put in some big umbrellas.

Just call them after 4pm once they're open to see if you can book. I know they take table bookings but don't think there's an online booking form. That said none of their tables in the garden are under cover as far as I'm aware unless they've recently put in some big umbrellas.
There are big umbrellas there now covering most of the tables. It's still a big open space though so I've always felt safe

Oh I know the Railway well enough and Knowles too - it was more the booking.

I've found that I'm more likely to book something where there's an online system (I guess I'm a bit lazy). Elm Park and Tulse Hill Hotel both have easy systems that they seem to have got from a third party. I'll just have to get back into the habit of calling the pub.

Update:

West Norwood Picturehouse are thrilled to welcome back film lovers as they reopen their doors to the public in time for Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated spy thriller TENET.

West Norwood high street has taken another step towards normality as Picturehouse cinema reopened its doors after 4 months of lockdown. Since Friday, July 31, customers have been invited to discover new releases on the big screen including Alice's Winocour's critically acclaimed PROXIMA starring Eva Green and Matt Dillon and the new black & white edition of Bong Joon-Ho's Academy Award-winning PARASITE. The cinema also brought a number of fan-favourite films to the big screen such as 1980s classic KARATE KID, BACK TO THE FUTURE and STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (40th year anniversary).

In line with government advice, a number of safety measures have been put in place in the cinema to provide a safe environment for employees and customers.

Film screenings have staggered start times to reduce the number of people at any one time in foyers and corridors and maintain physical distancing.
A one way system has been put in place throughout the whole venue with clearly signposted directions to toilets and exits.

Physical distancing meeting government guidelines has been built into the booking system so that customers in one booking are automatically seated apart from others.

Enhanced cleaning protocols and employee PPE are in place and the whole cinema team has undergone specific COVID-19 training.

Employees have been provided with face coverings and visitors are being asked to wear face masks throughout their time in the building. Perspex screens have been installed at the box office and the bar for extra safety.

While the kitchen and bar are currently not open to the public so that the space can be better controlled, cinema goers can purchase the whole range of snacks and drinks at the box office and refreshments can be enjoyed in the courtyard or taken into the auditorium as usual.

“We want film-lovers in West Norwood and surrounding areas to know that we are providing the safest and most comfortable experience for people that we can. We are really excited to be getting people back in the building, and we already have had a really good and positive response.” says Neven Stokic, General Manager.

Film fans will soon be able to escape to the mind of cryptic filmmaker Nolan in his latest release TENET starring John David Washington (BlACKKKLANSMAN), Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Kenneth Branagh and Michael Caine. Opening next Wednesday, August 26, Nolan’s new adventure promises another jaw-dropping feast for the senses.

Also lined up for September are Ladj Ly's Oscar-nominated feature debut LES MISERABLES and Marvel's X-Men spin-off THE NEW MUTANTS starring Maisie Williams (GAME OF THRONES).

BOOK TICKETS HERE FOR TENET OPENING ON WED 26 AUGUST
CINEMA TICKETS CAN BE BOOKED ONLINE HERE OR OVER THE PHONE AT 0871 902 5747

Would you believe, I was just looking out the window and thinking that now would be a good time to go to Railway. It’s bound to be fairly quiet with this heavy rain.

West Norwood question, and almost certainly a stupid one but... I went past Lakeview Rd today. There isn't really a lake you can see from there, is there?

West Norwood question, and almost certainly a stupid one but... I went past Lakeview Rd today. There isn't really a lake you can see from there, is there?
Yes there is a lake. The grand Park Hall House on top of the hill (now Henry Tate Mews) has a small lake. According to a lambeth planning doc “the exceptional historic gardens at Henry Tate Mews include terraced walks, a small Doric summerhouse, lawns, a small lake, a Pulhamite rockery resembling a gorge, a Gothick castle folly [and] a foot bridge. They are maintained for the collective amenity of the Henry Tate Mews residents.“

I imagine the lake will have been visible when the street was originally laid out , before the area became built up.

There’s more historical background here:

I’ve been trying to get in there for some time to have a look, but it’s a gated community. Might have to pose as an amazon delivery driver or something!

99C96DA7-346D-4E20-91AB-3C306AA9EA5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes there is a lake. The grand Park Hall House on top of the hill (now Henry Tate Mews) has a small lake. According to a lambeth planning doc “the exceptional historic gardens at Henry Tate Mews include terraced walks, a small Doric summerhouse, lawns, a small lake, a Pulhamite rockery resembling a gorge, a Gothick castle folly [and] a foot bridge. They are maintained for the collective amenity of the Henry Tate Mews residents.“

I imagine the lake will have been visible when the street was originally laid out , before the area became built up.

There’s more historical background here:

I’ve been trying to get in there for some time to have a look, but it’s a gated community. Might have to pose as an amazon delivery driver or something!

View attachment 227811
That's a veh small lake. More like a big puddle!

Detectives investigating a fatal shooting of a man in Lambeth have named the victim as Ramane Richard Wiggan, aged 25, who is from Tulse Hill.

_106229469_mdr31-19ramanewiggan-victim.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

The Late Ramane Richard Wiggan

Police were called at 4.11 p.m. on Wednesday 27 March 2019 by London Ambulance Service to reports of a man in a critical condition in Friar Mews, West Norwood.

_106202139_capture.jpg

(Source: Google)

Friar Mews, a small road off Dodbrooke and Prioress Road in West Norwood

Police officers and paramedics attended. At the scene Ramane was found suffering from a gunshot wound. He died at the scene at 4.45 p.m.

Eyewitnesses said Ramane, 25, was "running for his life" when he was gunned down outside the front door of a flat.

One witness, who did not want to be named, said: "It appears he's been shot right outside a front door on the top floor of the flat."

"People are saying he was running away when the shooting happened. He must have been running for his life. I can't take this anymore.

"We've heard people inside the block tried to resuscitate the man and save him.

"They tried their best but couldn't."

They added: "It's a tragedy. This is horrific. Crime is out of control in London."

Forensic officers were later seen poring over the scene, particularly focusing on a car parked inside the cordon.

Assie Kamara, 44, lives in a flat below the floor where the shooting took place and said her husband heard the shot being fired.

The mum-of-two said her girls, aged six and eight, had gone into the flat just minutes before the shooting took place with her husband.

The nurse said: "My two children went in with my husband just before it happened. Had it been a few minutes different they might have seen the gunman.

"That's absolutely terrifying to think. We're not safe. They were so close to it.

"My husband was in the house and said he heard the shot being fired. He said it was a huge bang and came from upstairs.

"There are other children in the block. It's heartbreaking.

"What is happening in London? That's just above our family home."

Mo Seedat, Lambeth Council's cabinet member for community safety, said: “We are appalled by the level of violence on our streets and are committed to working with communities to tackle the root causes of violence against our young people.”

Police were given extra (i.e. section 60) powers to stop and search people in the area.

Next of kin have been notified. While formal identification will take place on Monday 1 April 2019, the family are content for Ramane to be named.

A post mortem examination was conducted at Greenwich Mortuary on Friday 28 March 2019 and found the provisional cause of death to be a gunshot wound.

The Homicide and Major Crime Command lead the investigation.

Enquiries into CCTV and witness accounts are ongoing, but officers are still keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information, particularly dash cam footage.

Two 27-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of murder. Both have been released on bail to a date in late April pending further enquiries.

Any witnesses and those with information should call the Homicide and Major Crime Command Incident Room on 020 8721 4868. or 101 quoting CAD 5335, Tweet @MetCC or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Young people can also pass on information in complete confidence via www.fearless.org

Kane Gilead, 23, of Streatham Hill, has now been charged with the murder of 25-year-old Ramane Richard Wiggan.

Ramane, from Tulse Hill, was shot in the chest on a third-floor walkway in a housing estate in Friar Mews, West Norwood, on 27 March 2019.

Kane Gilead was charged with murder yesterday and will appear at Bromley Magistrates' Court today.

_106229469_mdr31-19ramanewiggan-victim.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

The Late Ramane Richard Wiggan

Any witnesses and those with information should call the Homicide and Major Crime Command Incident Room on 020 8721 4868, or 101 quoting CAD 5335/27Mar2019, tweet @MetCC or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Lake obsession continues. My spies have suggested there was a lake in the grounds of Portobello House on Knight's Hill which still seems to be open space. This seems much more likely RubyToogood as it’s much closer
D1D5ACF2-83C0-47D8-9D63-6F8471E32064.jpeg

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Norwood Park Stay and Play One O’clock Club lease opportunity.
Hello,

Do you, or someone you know, work with young children and families?

We have recently announced an amazing opportunity to lease a community space from the council with rental payments waived in return for the delivery of early years and community services.

We are looking for organisations who will benefit the local community to lease from the Council Norwood Park Stay and Play One O’clock Club located adjacent to Salters Hill in Norwood Park.

The site has great facilities and will make an ideal location for any organisation that can contribute to providing children aged 0-4 with the Best Start in Life in Lambeth. The rent would usually have been between £14,000 and £20,000 per year, money we want to keep in the community, so it can make a positive social impact.
Deadline date

The deadline for applications is 11 October 2020. Public viewings of the site are taking place at the premises on Thursday 1 October and Monday 5 October 2020.

We want to share this opportunity with as many organisations as possible, so if you know someone who might be interested please forward this message on to them.

You can find more information about the property and apply on the Lambeth Council website.

I think the electric cafe might be open for take away only. I noticed a sign on the door from across the road but couldn’t stop to go and double check. I don’t think they’ve been open since the first lockdown. Would be wonderful if they are not too terribly affected by COVID and continue to thrive for years to come. Best wishes to the family.

Back
Top Bottom