Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

For anyone who knows or is from another EU country that need to use the verification service just seen that Lambeth do it for free if you are Lambeth resident:

Nationality services - EU Settlement Scheme | Lambeth Council

Its for those who cannot access up to date Android technology that works with the government crap app.

My partner fell foul of this. After a few hours looking it up and trying myself to make it work I discovered the government crap app doesn't work with older Android phones that don't have NFC.

Near Field Communication.

Lambeth do walk in service to scan passport etc to send off to our lovely government.

My partner ended up getting support from her Embassy. Some EU governments are trying hard to help their nationals deal with Brexit.

Southwark Metals want to move their scrap yard to Windsor Grove in West Norwood (just up from the Hope pub and behind Kingswood Primary School.)

Not really a great idea IMO, esp. as they expect an additional 120 vehicle movements per day, including huge HGVs like the one below, and other vehicles. West Norwood high street is bad enough as it is, without an additional one hundred + vans and lorries per day.

ZVQfgNnRwbfryOg-800x450-noPad.jpg

There's further details and a petition here if you want to show your opposition.

"Today we have made a difficult decision here at FEAST.

We are cancelling our regular April Feast – we feel that that is the best course of action even if Lambeth and wider Government have not required this at this time. It is in the interest of public health to do so and nothing is more important than that. We don’t yet know what May or beyond will look like, and we’re taking this one day at a time.

This is incredibly difficult for everyone. However, Feast will survive!

Feast is a local brand that has existed to make West Norwood an even better place to live for the last 10 years and we’ll be spending this time lending our voice to our regular Traders and wonderful high street businesses who need it now more than ever before.

We are lucky to have a phenomenal community here that does and will continue to do great things. We may just have to look at things with a different lens.

We’re working on what FEAST can support with, but for now, we’ll be working hand in hand with all of our other community groups - Norwood Forum, NAG and Station to Station to highlight ways that we can support our local businesses and help people that need support.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued support."

I understand Norris Waste Management, currently located on Shakespeare Road, are also moving to that site.
In order to provide much needed high quality luxury flats in Shakespeare Road it seems.
All this sudden supermarket shelf stripping shows how unviable modern high density living is.
In the hey day of the old Green Party Shane used to preach the virtues of mixed use window boxes for tomatoes and weed.
More relaxed than empty shelves at Saimsbury's.

Thanks! That wasn't the one I meant though, i am not so fond of their food.

Do you know the place in between the station and Kwik Fit, a guy and girl run it, I think his name might be Gary, he's Greek or Cypriot. It's a real traditional place. Amazing fish and chips. I'd love to treat the family to some from there tonight. It's tough to know what is right and what isn't, but after a week in the flat, some fish and chips would be a good way to mark a Friday evening, as long as it can be done safely.

Thanks! That wasn't the one I meant though, i am not so fond of their food.

Do you know the place in between the station and Kwik Fit, a guy and girl run it, I think his name might be Gary, he's Greek or Cypriot. It's a real traditional place. Amazing fish and chips. I'd love to treat the family to some from there tonight. It's tough to know what is right and what isn't, but after a week in the flat, some fish and chips would be a good way to mark a Friday evening, as long as it can be done safely.

Knights Hill fish and chips. They've been open in the last week so my guess is they will be. Hopefully everyone will give each other a bit more distance in the queue!

I read that Knight's Hill Fish and Chips are open and that there is rules for queuing in and out. We're also planning this and I suspect many people are so could be quite a wait.

I ended up stopping at a place between Nunhead and East Dulwich. I thought any port in a storm. The food wasn't a patch on Knight's Hill, more expensive, served in cardboard boxes, and the man there not as friendly.

Make no mistake, what we have in Knight's Hill is top notch.

I ended up stopping at a place between Nunhead and East Dulwich. I thought any port in a storm. The food wasn't a patch on Knight's Hill, more expensive, served in cardboard boxes, and the man there not as friendly.

Make no mistake, what we have in Knight's Hill is top notch.

I know the place you mean - can you eat in there as well? Near goose green?

We got F&C from Knight's Hill last night. Called the order in ahead - in and out in minutes. Lovely.

The other place that's good is Ken's on Half Moon Lane and it's up and down but Ace Plaice is actually ok too.

Knight's Hill does the best chips imo. Fish can be good from all of them.

I know the place you mean - can you eat in there as well? Near goose green?

We got F&C from Knight's Hill last night. Called the order in ahead - in and out in minutes. Lovely.

The other place that's good is Ken's on Half Moon Lane and it's up and down but Ace Plaice is actually ok too.

Knight's Hill does the best chips imo. Fish can be good from all of them.
I think that's it. Rose's. Opposite the Esso garage. There might have been seats at the back, there seemed to be some sort of access to the right of where the people were cooking, Deliveroo guys hanging about there.

Ah, it was fine, I don't want to run their business down. And we had a nice treat of a Friday night. We are lucky to be able to in this climate.

Ken's has closed for the time being.

H and M Meats on Norwood High Street are doing delivery at present. Free over £40 orders but they will also deliver for free if you have to self isolate I believe. You can phone up and order what you want, or they are doing set boxes. The shop is also open although 1 person at a time. They usually do mostly wholesale so they're struggling a bit but have stepped up with this service so well worth supporting them. We've used them pretty regularly as we live not far away but a lot of people may well not know they're about as they're not on the main bit of the high street.

They also have eggs!

I think that's it. Rose's. Opposite the Esso garage. There might have been seats at the back, there seemed to be some sort of access to the right of where the people were cooking, Deliveroo guys hanging about there.

Ah, it was fine, I don't want to run their business down. And we had a nice treat of a Friday night. We are lucky to be able to in this climate.

Ken's has closed for the time being.

yes Rose's. We sometimes "go out" for fish and chips and we went there once when we were in the area. It was nice but I know what you mean overall. We haven't been back.

Feast is going ahead tomorrow as StayHome Feast. A number of activities as well as Feast musicians and DJs will be up on Facebook throughout the day.

Please join in, share and comment if you can, we want to keep the Feast energy going on in West Norwood and surrounding areas.

StayHomeFeastApril5thJPG.JPG

So I thought I’d take advantage of the Vale St waste site reopening to get rid of/ recycle various bits from the house and garden.

They’ve introduced a slot booking system due to the pandemic, which is understandable enough, but it won’t let you book a slot unless you give the car’s registration number. Which is all very well if you own a car, but a dealbreaker for those of us who don’t and prefer to use the likes of Zipcar for our occasional car requirements. So much for discouraging car ownership in London...

People on the West Norwood FB group are getting worked up into a froth over this:

1597589035608.png

One has suggested taking the person's photo :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom