Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West Norwood news, chitter chatter and gossip

The station is more attractive
West Norwood was one of thirty or so Southern Region stations that were rebuilt in the 1960s and 1970s using as pre-fabricated system called CLASP that had been developed by local authorities for building schools in areas prone to mining subsidence. I went to a secondary school built using the system, so was a bit surprised when I first saw it on the railway!

I used to think that it must have been chosen to rebuild West Norwood because of the notorious local subsidence problems, but they also rebuilt Forest Hill in the same system, so that theory doesn't necessarily hold up.

The next Rebel Rebel at The Great North Wood in West Norwood is on Friday April 5th. We're on from 7pm to midnight, as always. This is the second to last club before we take a break for the summer. After that we'll be back in September. I hope you can join us for a dance to Bowie, Buzzcocks, Blondie and more!

Work is being done on the old Barclays Bank site opposite Sainsburys.

It's going to be a Badger Badger pub - Food and drink during the day with Japanese menu and Yakitori grill in the evening. Also board games.

This will be their second pub. The first one is in Deptford.

Badger Badger | Pub, Kitchen and Board Gaming
Good news. I think it’s a good site and that bit of West Norwood should definitely have a pub - which has been missing since the Thurlow Arms / Jack Stamps closed about 15 (?) years ago.

Work is being done on the old Barclays Bank site opposite Sainsburys.

It's going to be a Badger Badger pub - Food and drink during the day with Japanese menu and Yakitori grill in the evening. Also board games.

This will be their second pub. The first one is in Deptford.

Badger Badger | Pub, Kitchen and Board Gaming

It looks tons better already - the pub's been given a fresh coat of black paint and it makes a big difference to that corner.

I'm happy to see that the gaming element of the Deptford Badger Badger includes a regular LGBTQ+ social. Great to have a new pub that's more than just another boozer.

The underground public toilets on Robson Road are still for sale. In 2016 the new owners claimed they were going to start a bar/kitchen. They got planning permission, but went no further. Now they're selling.

Check out this Commercial development for sale on Rightmove
3 phase electricity on supply! Why? That is the sort of thing you need for running a goods lift or welding equipment.
I know there was a scandal about a mafia coke ring at the cemetery over the road but even they didn't need three-phase mains!

3 phase electricity on supply! Why? That is the sort of thing you need for running a goods lift or welding equipment.
I know there was a scandal about a mafia coke ring at the cemetery over the road but even they didn't need three-phase mains!
Commercial kitchens run on three-phase power. Boring answer, sorry!

The underground public toilets on Robson Road are still for sale. In 2016 the new owners claimed they were going to start a bar/kitchen. They got planning permission, but went no further. Now they're selling.

Check out this Commercial development for sale on Rightmove
£225k is a big ask.

Cheap compared to a local flat, but at the end of the day it's underground toilets.

I remember going to see the underground bogs in Windrush Square. £50k-£80k rent per year from what I remember. There was quite a bit of interest, including the guy who used the run the Phoenix Cafe. But it was over-priced. 8 years later the Windrush bogs are still empty.

Just rent it out cheap? To a local with a good idea, rather than some pub investment firm?

Property greed is killing London imo.

It would make an ideal public toilet, paid for by council funding. People would be able to call in and take a comfort break at their leisure.
If failing Grayling could force this issue effectively on Network Rail (the only thing he did as far as I can see) why can't Lambeth step up to the plate of human need?

It would make an ideal public toilet, paid for by council funding. People would be able to call in and take a comfort break at their leisure.
Yep. Fuckers should buy the sites back, & give us back some public toilets, so we don't have to pop into a pub or restaurant to have a Harry Nash!

Reactions: CH1
Could anyone clarify the fate of the Weeping Willow tree outside the block of flats at the junction Norwood Road and Avenue Park Road, opposite the Elmcourt health centre and Ira Court?

It appeared to have suffered some recent damage and it is very sad to see it now, given how magnificent it was.

Back
Top Bottom